• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Primary Filter Confusion

Heavysteven

Here my problem guys. Pulled the primary filter houseing below the alternator and found the filter i bought is not what's in the truck. Just came from GL. Now the filter in there looks similiar to filter #1 smaller hole on top and bottom but has a fine paper around it.

Where can i get the exact replacment? CSI in GA told me $90

Old was cleaned with some diesel and is back in service.

Thanks,
Steven

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have used the ones like in pic #2. That said, I would look for one of the re-usable primary filters. Not sure where to find them though.

Heavysteven

Thanks for the advice but if you leave a open end wrench on the bolt up top it's a spin on. I like the primary fuel filter housing it feels solid.

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the advice but if you leave a open end wrench on the bolt up top it's a spin on. I like the primary fuel filter housing it feels solid.
I agree with you...

Note that the original primary is rated 40 microns.
Images below show the difference. Try SECO in Augusta GA for original filters, specify the part number called out in the TMs. Should be about $20. Memphis used to have them also.
The original can be wiped off and reused.

Attachments

dabtl

buy the spin on conversion from j tonka. you will thank me
Plus five on that. I have the oil spin on filters, the fuel spin on filters and the primary spin on filters. I would not change them back for any amount of money.

John Tennis is the best asset this site ever produced. Keep it up John.
:smile:

pittdog

OH by the way you'll get a new gasget... takes (2) to put it on..... it won't look the same.. (after market ) but ... you'll get it done! ...PITTDOG 52-D .

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The gasket that comes with the secondary and final filters (Carquest 86540) will fit the primary, so save them. Of course, the original part number primary comes with the correct gasket also.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
My keeper deuce will have all filters changed to spin on (thanks Westfolk).....they are just too easy and if you get caught out on a dark interstate ramp and need to change secondary filters it it worth the cost (ask me how I know).

bassetdeuce

I dunno, I just use the filter on the right. There are a couple of ways I deal with the larger hole. Just make sure that the filter is centered when reinstalling/tighteneing the can. Also, I got a snug fitting large diameter rubber washer to go on the bottom of the filter, so that the spring in the can pushes up on the metal washer, then rubber washer, effectively sealing off the bottom of the filter. Maybe not needed, but doesn't hurt neither. The rest of the conventional filters (secondary/final fuel and oil) work and look normal. Works for me.

Oh, and I second deuceman51. A fine and reliable SS member with probably the best deal on the conventional filter kits. :cool:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NAPA Part #3511 will be the one on the right! I have one, but have not changed it yet. Thanks for the idea of open ended wrench and spin on!!
Yes, and there is also a difference in the nominal micron ratings, 40 for the original and 10 for the substitute (3511 or 86511).
Primary filters/water separators on other trucks also have a larger mesh, say 30 to 50 microns. You decide what's best for yours.
BTW, the original final and secondary fuel filters on the deuce are 5 microns nominal.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've also got the deuce filter sets in stock. $50 shipped for all 5 with the correct gaskets.

DM, are your filters the correct/original mil spec micron ratings that Bjorn is referring to? More info please.

dabtl

NAPA Part #3511 will be the one on the right! I have one, but have not changed it yet. Thanks for the idea of open ended wrench and spin on!!

My main concern on the fuel filters is rust. Rust in the primary and rust in the secondary filters drove me nuts. Spin on filters change the entire thing, eliminating rust. Did I mention I hate rust in the fuel?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks