• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Primary spin on fuel filter question

pjvargas

Changed out military primary fuel filter for the spin-on one found on other threads on this forum. Fuel lines were dry for a couple months. Tech manual says to open the fuel bleeder valve located on the secondary and final fuel filter assembly, turn on the accessory switch (low air pressure horn sounds) to activate fuel pump, and let fuel flow thru the bleeder valve until there is no air bubbles in the fuel (then close the bleeder valve). I did this for about 5 minutes straight with no fuel showing up at the bleeder valve. Did others have this problem when they went to the spin-on filter? Any experiences/suggestions?

AceHigh

Should work as described if your in-tank pump is working. That is what pushes the fuel through the system. Open fuel tank cap and listen. It can make noise and still not pump.

ETA: I type slower. :)

pjvargas

Hard to hear anything over that ferschlugginer low air pressure horn.
Darn thing worked before I decided to get fancy and change the primary fuel filter to the spin-on type.

AceHigh

Temporarily pull the plug on the air warning buzzer. Do not forget to re-connect it! The engine can run with the pump not working but once you introduce air to the system it will no longer run till you bleed all the air. This can be done by using the in tank pump. Or just add about 5 psi of air to the tank. (I think I would rather get the pump working.

Katahdin

I've used two methods to defeat the low-air-buzzer while troubleshooting start-ups:

1) Back-fill the air system with an external air compressor.

2) Temporarily unplug the buzzer from the T-connector under the dash.

Hard to hear anything over that ferschlugginer low air pressure horn.
Darn thing worked before I decided to get fancy and change the primary fuel filter to the spin-on type.

pjvargas

If the pump is working with a new dry primary filter and the lines dry any estimate on how long it should take for fuel to appear at the secondary and final filter asembly bleed valve? Is 4-5 minutes excessive?

eagle4g63

When I changed my primary to a spin on I also changed out my other two filters so NO fuel in any of the three filters and it still only took long enough to turn on switch and step back up the two step ladder and reach for the wrench to close the fitting......yes literally that long....so maybe 1 min-1 1/2 min tops

Troll1216

Bad fuel pump as stated above. I was thinking about adding a "back fill" line for faster startups and situations like this. Have soldier B stand by the tank when you throw the master switch. Start with the fuze and then the pump. Mine took less than 1 min after I bled the ENTIRE system and changed the line after the primary fuel filter, I had the whole system drained and it took only one min to refill.

Just my 2cents

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Temporarily pull the plug on the air warning buzzer. Do not forget to re-connect it! The engine can run with the pump not working but once you introduce air to the system it will no longer run till you bleed all the air. This can be done by using the in tank pump. Or just add about 5 psi of air to the tank. (I think I would rather get the pump working.
Dont know if I would waste my tim messing with buzzer just feel the top of the pump. If it's not vib/buzzing check fues and incomming power if it is vib/buzzing and you have no flow or the correct 4 to 7 psi then pull pump and replace the shims /plates on the bottom of your pump. Do search for that repair. If the shims/plates are intack replace pump with good take out if you want to save bucks. Have fun