• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Private Michigan Fuel Blender License?

MiSasquatch

I'm curious about "Fuel Blender" (or similar) licenses in Michigan. Anybody go throught the process? Is it worth the effort and expense?
Thanks for any advice or experiences.

harleyrkc

I tried looking into such a thing once and didn't anything information concerning private individuals blending fuels. But that doesn't mean were free and clear, just that I couldn't find anything.

donttreadonmebmg

email your state department of taxation that's what I did here in Ohio.
they had me print off a paper from their web site and when I use the fuel I make they said just send them a check to cover the road tax at 28 cents a gallon.

O.D. Fever

I know they want us to pay the tax.. I will, I need the same info you are looking for. I will pay the tax. I can buy Settled used oil from the local oil change for 30cents a gal., will do. I just need to pay the fuel tax on it after it is filterd and I use it. I just would like to have D.O.T. paper work with me , when the man says .... Whats in your tank???? So please keep me posted. Joe P.S. My trucks are comercial
vehicles.

MiSasquatch

Yeah, I was a "G" man. Proud to say I put in my time for the cause.
I've been places, at the "Gubment's expense, that I wouldn't spend my hard earned money to get there.
Still collecting my government check, and will continue as long as I live. Guess that makes me part of the "Gubment".
I'll post when and what I find about the "Blenders License" here.
Thanks.

O.D. Fever

Hey MiS, I think we just need how much to pay and when to pay it. Tax is cheep if your fuel is 30 centa gal.. Joe ... I'll keep you posted as this is a concern of mine..

GPappy

Been doing a little research on this myself. This is what I get from the state website:

When is a blenders license required?
The Department is currently licensing only those who are blending a taxable product with an untaxed product. These licensing requirements could change if the department determines that licensing is necessary for those blending two or more taxable products as well as those blending two or more non-taxable products.
What is blending?
Blending means the mixing of one or more petroleum products with or without another product and the is capable of being used in the generation of power for a motor vehicle, an airplane, or a marine vessel.
If I blend an additive with diesel fuel, do I need to be licensed as a blender?
Complete a Motor Fuel Tax License Application and attach an explanation of the type of products and quantities you are blending. The Department will determine if you need a blender's license and will notify you of the determination.

Makes you wonder if you are making biodiesel and mixing it with WMO if you need a license. The Motor Fuel Tax License Application can be found here:
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/3712f_2941_7.pdf

The license fee appears to be $100 (line 70).

Section 207.1008 of the Motor Fuel Tax act talks about paying $0.12 per gallong for biodiesel being blended with diesel but I could not find any reference to WMO or WVO. Interesting that the tax form I found online says $0.15 per gallon.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/taxes/3791_220741_7.pdf

Norseland

Hey, just jumping on board here, thanks to Oddshot!

Seems funny if I'm using my own oil from a dodge truck, My deuce, my 7.3 Ford and my cars, I'm already paying tax when I buy it, If I mix w/ gas there's a tax there, and furhter mix w/ Diesel, well I'm paying tax there, Not buying the Off-raod, never wanted to take the chance.

Seems very strange although how is an Officer to determine what your really doing, sounds innocent enough but sure it depends on the situation.
I seen someone else say somewhere, personal use allowed 25 gallons a month, Man, I wouldnt even come close to burning that much off in regualr Diesel in a month!

john

Heath_h49008

$100 investment to be able to flash the paperwork and tell the guy who thinks he's getting a payday dipping my tank "These are not the droids he's looking for" sounds like a good investment.

On the "to do" list for the tax return....

jjramrod

I can't believe the government wants us to pay them for fuel we make our selves screw that.
This really makes the bumper sticker true "don't steal the government hates competition" .

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The reason is that the fuel must have road use taxes paid on it regardless of the source of the fuel.

Much as everyone hates to urinate and moan about taxes and or the government it still requires money to fix the roads.

Heath_h49008

Think of it as paying your fair share for the pavement you pound with your tires. I hate Government waste as much as anyone... seriously... but this is a small use fee. I am actually getting what I pay for. That's about the only type of tax I agree with.

Just to be the devil's advocate.

How much you report is up to you.

jjramrod

I guess I can see it for oil but after you deduct the cost of you're set up they wouldn't get much anyway. I just wish they actually would fix the roads here then maybe it would be worth it but the smoothest roads around here are the dirt ones. If they want road taxes build decent roads.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now what they use the road use taxes for is a whole different argument I'm sad to say.

:-(

saddamsnightmare

January 26th, 2012.

I know this is gonna start ye old firestorm...BUT your used motor oil paid no road use taxes! Sales tax, yes, road use tax,no. If the fuel test of your tank proves you have fuels in there that are not commercially dispensed through a pump that road use taxes are collected on... YOU are gonna pay a lot more then you would for the road use taxes.... The fines for tax evasion in most states suck, but they are a fact, Jack!
What part of you are driving a diesel truck, which probably weighs more then the average pickup, hence you are imposing more wear on the road, thus you get to pay for it with your road use fuel taxes haven't you figured out yet?:eek:
Considering that whatever you are burning in your engine costs less then $3.00+ per gallon even with taxes, why complain? The other thing you will want to do is filter that crud really well, as new injectors do add up after a while. The multifuel was designed to burn that stuff after a nuclear war, not before....:shock:

The Taxman cometh!:(

jjramrod

I personally don't run straight oil the fuel and gas I run comes from the junk yard and the road taxes have already been paid so I don't have to worry about it.

camp9

I use to pay almost $12,000/year for road tax per truck, and I quite the trucking business almost 10 years ago, can imagine what guys are paying now.

MiSasquatch

Shouldn't everything that uses the "road" pay the tax?
Let's consider the joggers, the bicycles, the mopeds? How do electric cars pay for their fair share? How about farm vehicles with out plates? License plate fees get some but not all, road tax on fuel gets some but not all.
On top of that...if my tax dollars stayed in the area that they were paid instead of going to Detroit I wouldn't mind so much (I'd still bitch, just wouldn't hurt so much).
Have you seen a military vehicle on the road? I know that the USPS vehicles don't pay road tax either.
I'd like to find "the" guy that has the answers so I can get the right paperwork and not get the fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks