• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Problem spin off oil filter adapter

WPNS421

Up here in the far north it was a beautiful day, about 29 degrees and we decided to start all the MVs. All the CUCVs started no problem, and then the M109 and the M35. We didn't even need the booster cables. The trucks were warming up and all was going well till we noticed an oil leak on the M35, we stopped the truck and checked to see what the problem was.
The truck has the new spin on filter adapters and the M35 was leaking from the adapter. We had a similar problem this summer and we removed the filter checked for damage on the filter all was good and we then checked the adapter and everything appeared normal we changed the filter and retightened everything, the leaking stopped but we had a little seepage.(very minor)
What we think is happening is that the aluminum adapter has contracted due to the cold and the filter is not seating properly. We will be checking this out as soon as we get a chance. Has anyone else had problems with the adapters.
This is a heads up for anyone that uses the adapters

Billy Bobbed

Mine was doing the same thing.I put them on drove it with no problem a week ago,then I came home from work a few days ago and saw oil on my front end.So I lifted the hood and the adapters were leaking not the oil filter.So I was in 10 degree weather at work taking them back off and cleaned them and turned the gasket around and retorqued.Drove home and they were leaking again,so I took the oil filters off and torqued the nut to 65ft lbs and put the filter back on.Drove to and from work today no adapter leaking put now the filter is leaking a little:doh: I didnt clean the oil off the adapter,might have got some dirt on the filter gasket.So I will take them off and reclean the filter gaskets.Im just glad the adapters quit leaking.I retorqued the nut will the engine was warmed up.

Last edited:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ones I got from Westfolk are steel. Not that it will ever get cold enough here for that to be an issue. Not sure if he is still making them in steel, but if it's a concern for you, it wouldn't hurt to ask.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ones I got from westfolk were aluminum.
I heard he switched from steel to aluminum. Maybe he can still do steel if some needs them? Then again, after that one thread went a little south maybe he stopped making them totally.

Anyway, I would be interested in hearing if anyone else has problems in extreme cold or heat and how/if they fixed it.

Billy Bobbed

I wish they made the rubber gasket like the one I took off with the canisters.The gaskets now are like paper.I still have one the other one broke or Id put the rubber gaskets back on.I think the gasket is the problem.The filter has a rubber gasket not paper.

Last edited:

Billy Bobbed

I think what would be nice if they would cut a grove in the adaptor for a rubber o-ring,like they do on Ford oil filter relocator adapters on the 460 Ford trucks.

Last edited:

jatonka

Actually, it is a fiber gasket. It is the correct gasket for the Multifuel filter base. My instruction sheet advises the customer to retorque the hex nipple to 60 Ft. Lbs at the next filter change. That takes care of any torque relief due to the adaptor settling in to the gasket..... The coefficient of expansion of approcimately 1" of aluminum is not enough to measurably change the fit of the adaptors. If the adaptors that the person from Quebec has are mine, please contact me and talk about it, by PM or email, at your convienience. John T

Last edited:

sandcobra164

+1 on check the torque. You CANNOT rely on feel for torque in this area. I'm not backing Jatonka up in this area as the adapters I have on my truck came from Westfolk. Regardless of that, I installed them by feel and guess what? They leaked. I took the filter's off, torqued with a known good torque wrench to 60 ft/lbs. and problem solved. If you used shody gasket's, ie' those that didn't come with the kit, then start there. I didn't even replace the gasket's when I torqued my adapter's down properly, I just made sure they didn't spin once I torqued them and all was and still is well.

Billy Bobbed

I used the gaskets that came with the kit,and torqued it to what I was told to at 55lbs.There was nothing said to retorque at 60ft lbs.All I can say to those that get these adapters if they leak take the filters off and retorque to 60ft lbs.I would not go back to the canisters again.

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as I know, the original filter canisters were meant to drain into the oil pan, so that the oil can be preheated (arctic kit). If your spin-on filters do not drain, then there may be a temporary increase in pressure across them causing the gaskets to leak when the oil within is at a sub zero temp...just a thought...
The aluminum should not be a problem (John Tennis ref), the entire filter canister bracket assy is made of aluminum on the -2 engines.

kbush

I don't believe temperature has anything to do with it. Mine did it to me back in September. They are starting to do it again.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When i put my adapters on, i cleaned both surfaces with thinner and i put a thin, thin coating of "right stuff" on the paper gasket. This "right stuff" is made by permatex and is absolutely awesome stuff. my original oil filter canisters leaked and i didnt want the same problem with my adapters. I am not saying the adapters are poor quality at all, i just wanted an extra layer of insurance that i would not have to fix a leak again.