• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Problem with O-ring for wheels

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am trying to change a tire on my M931A1 and I have not seen this type of wheel before. On other 5 tons wheels I have worked on there is a grove that the o-ring goes into and then the 2nd half of the wheel pushes on the o-ring.

My question is how do you keep the o-ring in place when you put the tire, beadlock and 2nd half of the wheel on? There is no grove for the o-ring to sit in like on other 5 ton wheels.

Thanks!

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, no personal experience here but..., somehow someone has done it, already...:) .... and maybe your problem is the main reason that that early design has been superseded?

I think even if there isn't a defined groove for the O-ring, it should go where the arrow points to, and stay there during assembly.
Does it not, in your case...??:???:

G.

Attachments

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did a test fit with out the tire and the o-ring just does not fit that good with the 2nd half of the wheel. It wants to side down to far and with the tire in place you are not going to be able to keep it in place.
Going to work on it today, will let you know how it goes.

I maybe looking for newer wheels.:(

Bolkbich

I have a rim like that. I couldnt get the oring to stay in place. I was in a hurry so i put the rim out in the barn and used another style rim. My buddy came up with a spare that leaked, we tried a new black o-ring with WADS of grease and it sealed up. Its a pain in the a$$ set up but we both agreed the grease was the ticket.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I got her done!! I put the wheel on a 5 gal. bucket and lowered the tire with my tractor, put o-ring on wheel, put the 2nd half of ring on very carefully and did the bolts up slowly.
The first try it did not work so I redid it and this time the o-ring stayed in place.:)

I talked to a tire guy that has worked with these wheels and he said to not lube the o-ring with any thing and that is what I did.

Attachments

Bolkbich

Im glad you got it done. Everytime i tried to put the top half of the rim on it would push the o-ring out, not all the way around only a little spot. When i greased it the top half of the rim slipped over the o-ring. Your way is alot less messy.

tractors0130

These are the same rims as my M925A2 has, I dropped the rim into the backside of the tire slowly to make sure the bead lock lines up and then turned the tire over carefully (holding onto the rim half) and then bolted the rim together. Found out that the O-ring would slip out if too much grease was used, worked out best if only a little grease was used on the upper rim half and the o-ring and lower rim half were dry.