• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Problems after changing fuel pump

Funtimes

First time posting for some help, I have a 2002 M1045A2 with 6.5 . Truck started , idled, and drove like a Swiss watch, and then got a leak in the mechanical fuel pump. I removed it , ordered the new pump and installed it 2 weeks later. After install I cranked the engine and it started right away and stoped, I had to crank it a few times to fill the fuel line up. So now the truck is not the same at all !!
1: I have a lot of white smoke after cold start continues for a while ( Which I never had before )
2: after startup I have a rough idle ,stumbling like for a few minutes and then goes away
3: if I don't start the truck for a few weeks it will start at first crank and them stop and it will take a few cranks to start it again
I never had these symptoms before pump change.

All I did was change the fuel pump didn't touch anything else , have I missed something in my repair of the pump?

Thanks in advance

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First time posting for some help, I have a 2002 M1045A2 with 6.5 . Truck started , idled, and drove like a Swiss watch, and then got a leak in the mechanical fuel pump. I removed it , ordered the new pump and installed it 2 weeks later. After install I cranked the engine and it started right away and stoped, I had to crank it a few times to fill the fuel line up. So now the truck is not the same at all !!
1: I have a lot of white smoke after cold start continues for a while ( Which I never had before )
2: after startup I have a rough idle ,stumbling like for a few minutes and then goes away
3: if I don't start the truck for a few weeks it will start at first crank and them stop and it will take a few cranks to start it again
I never had these symptoms before pump change.

All I did was change the fuel pump didn't touch anything else , have I missed something in my repair of the pump?

Thanks in advance
Welcome!

Funtimes

Still after driving it?
All this is caused by air? should I just open a injector line while truck is running, will this rid of all the air or is there other thinks I must do to get all the air out of the fuel system
Thanks

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you remove the plate behind the fuel pump and use grease to hold the pump rod up while you installed the pump?
If not it is possible you sheared off the pump rod, the IP has a pump in it and can run without the help of the mechanical pump, but not well.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put some Diesel Kleen in it at full strength as bottle recommends. I have a perfect running truck and I had an issue when I gave it any peddle after startup it would die. I put the stuff in and drove it awhile and next day issue was gone. I don’t believe in snake oil but it made a huge difference. I add it every few tanks now.
You might have other issues but if it has a hair in it’s throat it will help it

87cr250r

In my CUCV I had a throttle shaft seal fail (normal mode of failure for DB2 pump). This let the pump drain back to the tank through the lift pump. Replacing the lift pump resolved the issue for about a year before it came back worse. The symptom was that any time the truck sat for more than 8 hours it would start normally but die as soon as you tried to drive it. 30-40 seconds of cranking would start the truck and it would be fine after that. Oddly, you had to drive it to kill it. It could idle for hour (figuratively). Until I repaired the IP my solution was to idle the truck until it was warm enough to not need glow plugs to start before driving away so it would be easier to start when it did die.

Funtimes

thanks for the info everyone, i will start this weekend with purging the fuel filter and the inj pump drain back line of air .
Just make sure about the drain back line we are talking about, its line number 10 on the image right?

Attachments