• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

problems with interstate batteries

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 6TLs from Interstate in both of my deuces and A2 and an A3. The A2 batteries from the Army had a date code of 2007. They failed after almost exactly 6 years of age and I replaced them with new Interstate 6TLs. My A3 has Interstate 6TLs installed by the Army and they have date codes of 06/09. They are now over 5 years old and going very strong. I keep both topped off with distilled water and keep battery minders on both. Based on my experience, I wouldn't consider anything else.

welldigger

Why anyone would spend $200 on a battery on a deuce is beyond me. I have perfectly good luck with 4 year old deca batteries at 475 cc each. My truck started just fine for 2 weeks with a dead alternater and a 17 degree morning last winter. I think new ones of that approximate size are around $110 a battery and they are common off the shelf batteries available at even home depot now. No special order needed.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deca also makes 6TLs. When I was looking for inexpensive new 6TLs, the closest Deca dealer that would sell them to me was in Alabama, so I stuck with Interstates.

RAYZER

Two group 27's will fit right in, if you going to use them for shelter power, deep cycles that are rated for starting would work best.

Rusty Loads

I'm in the process of converting the standard base 40 Watt 24V bulbs to LED in the shelter. The shelter is not with the truck right now so it is 'stand alone'.It also has a 220 50HZ system which is of no use here in NA. The big power sucker is the 24V Webasto heater which heats through the walls. Yes, I could put any batteries in there but the battery box and hold downs are made for the 6T size so that would be my preference in the name of keeping that part of it close to original.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why anyone would spend $200 on a battery on a deuce is beyond me. I have perfectly good luck with 4 year old deca batteries at 475 cc each. My truck started just fine for 2 weeks with a dead alternater and a 17 degree morning last winter. I think new ones of that approximate size are around $110 a battery and they are common off the shelf batteries available at even home depot now. No special order needed.
Under rated batteries cause excessive wear on the starter , a couple days of cold weather might bring it about as quick but months of cold weather will .
I got 6 1/2 years out of the Interstate 6TLs that came in the truck from GL. Bought new 6tls from member Jeffmule ( General Jims Surplus for $125 each .

welldigger

Under rated batteries cause excessive wear on the starter , a couple days of cold weather might bring it about as quick but months of cold weather will .
I got 6 1/2 years out of the Interstate 6TLs that came in the truck from GL. Bought new 6tls from member Jeffmule ( General Jims Surplus for $125 each .
They are what the previous owner stuck in my truck. When they finally die I'm going to replace them with group 31's or something similar at about 875 cca each.

Point being there's no need to spend ridiculous amounts of money on 6tls.

rustystud

They are what the previous owner stuck in my truck. When they finally die I'm going to replace them with group 31's or something similar at about 875 cca each.

Point being there's no need to spend ridiculous amounts of money on 6tls.
Totally agree ! Unless your going for the original military look, there is no need for the 6TLS batteries. Our busses use 4 group 31 batteries. We used to have two 8N batteries, but there was no need as the four batteries work just as well and no more hernias ! As long as you have enough CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) for your starter, then your golden ! The military just used the same batteries in everything to eliminate the problem of someone putting the wrong battery in a piece of equipment. Remember where talking about 18 year olds here !

Last edited:

turnkey

I have lots of problems with the interstate batteries....Didn't last a year...went with diehard...Working now for 2 years no problem...I have a battery minder from Habour stuff and it does the job.

rustystud

I noticed all the trouble with "Interstate Batteries" here. My good buddy owns a service station in Seattle and for the last 20 years has just used Interstate batteries. They are a great battery if exercised daily. The problem comes when they are sitting for long periods of time. Even with trickle chargers on them they will start to sulfate. I talked with my buddy about this, and he talked with the Interstate rep. He said the batteries do have problems with just sitting. They do make 2 long storage type's of battery, but it is the gel and mat fiber type of battery. No liquid acids. These types are also more expensive and still must be maintained with a trickle charger for that type of battery.

JasonS

I noticed all the trouble with "Interstate Batteries" here. My good buddy owns a service station in Seattle and for the last 20 years has just used Interstate batteries. They are a great battery if exercised daily. The problem comes when they are sitting for long periods of time. Even with trickle chargers on them they will start to sulfate. I talked with my buddy about this, and he talked with the Interstate rep. He said the batteries do have problems with just sitting. They do make 2 long storage type's of battery, but it is the gel and mat fiber type of battery. No liquid acids. These types are also more expensive and still must be maintained with a trickle charger for that type of battery.
I'll verify when I get to work tomorrow... but I don't think it is possible for a battery to sulfate when fully charged.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
well, experiance trumps the specs sometimes. i have had interstate 31's on my generator for 8 years and they still seem great. i had a 24 in my forklift for over 10 years and it was abused, still works but i replaced it just so it does not let me down. same for cars and equipment, interstate seems to hold up great.

now 15 years ago i used 6TL's in some mil trucks and they lasted for an easy 6 to 7 years and sat for 8 months and would still crank right over. 6 to 8 years ago the 6TL's started to only last for 1 to 2 years and would just fail. last couple i had did not last much over a year if even that long, very dissapointing for such an expensive battery and local interstate dealer says they only have 30 day wtty.

now i use 31's in everything that needs a big battery and they still hold up great.

conclusion, over the years something has happened to the quality of the 6TL and i suspect they are made by a different company than the other inter batts.

mbehne

We have sold interstates for a long time and have had very few problems and even fewer warrantied batteries. We are in the marine business so our batteries also sit for long periods but we don't use 6tl's either. We do sell lots of srm27's and 29's though. Most of the ones we take out of customers boats are in the 5-6 year old range. I don't want to sound like I'm defending them, because I'm not. I have just had good luck with them,but that doesn't mean you will! Kind of like the ford and chevy debate.

rustystud

I'll verify when I get to work tomorrow... but I don't think it is possible for a battery to sulfate when fully charged.
I'm not saying they sulfate when fully charged. I'm saying they have a problem just sitting with just a trickle charger. They need to be exercised. That means when just sitting you have to have a modern charger that goes through several types of charging ie: pulsing, trickle, etc. Our Odyssey batteries at work need the same thing. We use a special charger that "exercises" the battery. If you use your vehicle on a regular biases, it will get this type of charging from the alternator. Just for the record, I love to use my Interstate Batteries. I just know their limitations, just like other batteries.

Last edited:

JasonS

We've done a fair amount of work and research in renewable energy using lead acid batteries and I've never heard of this. All of the chargers that I have seen on the market (and all of the ones we use) do a two or three step charging: bulk (current limited), adsorption (constant voltage), and float (constant voltage lower than adsorption). Once they are at float, that is where they stay until discharged. The only differences from flooded to gel to AGM are in the voltage setpoints. Exercising your battery by discharging it during normal will reduce the life a little bit every time.

We looked into pulse chargers and could find no credible evidence that they did any good. Seems to only be internet folklore.

JasonS

I'm not saying they sulfate when fully charged. I'm saying they have a problem just sitting with just a trickle charger. They need to be exercised. That means when just sitting you have to have a modern charger that goes through several types of charging ie: pulsing, trickle, etc. Our Olympus batteries at work need the same thing. We use a special charger that "exercises" the battery. If you use your vehicle on a regular biases, it will get this type of charging from the alternator. Just for the record, I love to use my Interstate Batteries. I just know their limitations, just like other batteries.
OK, did some reading. I'm just going to state that there is a whole lot about batteries that I don't know and there is way too much info to boil down into one post. If you are really interested, the two books I have on my bookshelf which are quite good:

Linden's Handbook of Batteries 4th Ed.; edited by Reddy

Valve-Regulated Lead-Acid Batteries; edited by Rand, Mosely, Garche, and Parker

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks