• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project Baby Hemmt - FOR LEONARD

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: more baby HEMTT pics

Jason, I'm running 1600X20s on the baby HEMTT and getting them on a duel rear axle setup would require more than the stock 48" between the two rears. These tires are 53" in diameter so anything closer than say 55" would pretty much assure constant tire to tire contact. At 55" you would only have 2" clearance on a good day; factor in the tire dia increasing a little as the speed/centrifugal force goes up or the random rock in the tire tread. The thing to research is the axle to axle distance on a five tonner to see if there's more front to rear spacing on a rear bogie setup off of one of them.

Jones

Oops... sorry, that last post was from me.
Cranetruck is sharing my computer while he's in town and I forgot to log him off and me on.

jh1990

Thanks Jones, did a little research and found that the M821 5 ton bridge truck has an 81" axle length w/ 14.00x20's. Also, the M983 is 351" in total length, where as the M821 is 382" overall (w/w) so I'm thinking of using the 821 frame and bogie (plus the front axle)

jh1990

Did a little more research and question asking, found out that the M821 has a 56" rear axle spacing so that should work. Also found out that the empty weight of the M821 is around 28k so I'm thinking the empty weight of the replica M983 should be around 30k. I'm going to try to figure something out for the front suspension. I have no idea where to begin with the steering. Thanks and sorry for side tracking the tread. How's the baby HEMTT coming?

Jones

baby HEMTT update

One of those weeks where everything kinda falls into place.
Got the intercooler and radiator lashed together and will start cutting tubing for intercooler lines tomorrow. Also fitting engine doghouse side panels and walkway retaining clamps which will in turn, secure the spare tire carrier on the pass side. Laying out brackets to attach battery box and trans cooler on the driver side. Gonna have to make a weathertight electrical cabinet to house electronics like 24v to 12v converter, slave receptacle, controller for the 24v solargizer, amp for whelan electronic air horn, a few circuit breakers to protect everything, etc. Even if they fit into the wind tunnel between the grill and the intercooler they'll need to be protected from the elements.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: baby HEMTT update

Always good to see progress! I see that the "oil caning" problem of the deck in the foreground is persisting.
How is the steering linkage coming along?

Say hello to Cole.

Thanks again for your time and help! Zero oil leak from the bellhousing vent and the hydraulic line is holding up very well.

Jones

Great to hear, Bjorn. Glad to hear our mechanicing paid off.
I've got to see which is cheaper; another sheet of diamond plate or a trip through a normalizing furnace. Keyways are EDMed in the steering box gears but I have to find time to go pick them up. Things got kinda hectic after you left and I'm putting in some 12hr+ days... been gone so much that now I have to show Cole my ID to get him to let me into the yard.

Jones

Thanks for the vote of confidence Jason. It'll be another fine product of the "Miracle Machine Works" where our motto is; "If it's a good part, it's a Miracle".

Jones

another day, another piece ot two...

Squeezing in between work and other duties, I've managed to get a few more things done on the baby HEMTT.
Had to remake the driver side walkway 'cause the first one was oil-canning on me. Came out of the press brake propeller shaped and could be twisted into submission but then would reverse itself with a soft "poink" sound. Second one, out of the same piece of diamond plate came out just fine. Made a set of dies and cranked out a bunch of conduit style clamps to hold everything down and together.
Had a big air space under the air tanks on the pass side so I made and mounted another tool box there. Reinforcing plates inside the box keep the bolt heads from taking the entire weight of box and contents. Larger holes in plates and roof of box are for access to air tank u-bolts so I don't have to disassemble the right side of the truck for service or repairs.
Intercooler plumbing is done and installed. Up sweep in pass side tube cuts down on sharp bends and provides clearance for connector between engine air filter and turbo.
Gonna place and mount battery boxes and trans cooler next and layout for fuel filter/water separator which'll probably end up attached to the trans cooler stand. That's a likely place for antenna mount too.
Then, after lunch...

Attachments

BillIdaho

I have been watching this thread progress with amazement. I am SURE glad I get to see it at Lodi , finished, painted and giving people rides in a week...........

Jones

Uh, sure Bill. Let me see where I left my harness with the pintle hook attachment. It'll be touring the countryside and giving rides but I'm not sure exactly when. Some weeks the thing really comes together and some weeks I think I'm working on the world's largest lawn ornament.