• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project Baby Hemmt - FOR LEONARD

Jones

Jason, the only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked.
Bill was looking forward to a ride in it soon and the only way I could make that happen right now is for me to put on a harness with a pintle hook attachment on it and drag the baby HEMTT and riders around by myself. Expression is from my railroading days when the yardmaster would dope up a crew with a bunch of switching moves and neglect to assign them a locomotive to use. "OK boss, just let me get the harness with the drawbar attached."

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
A HEMTT passed me on the interstate today on the way home from work towing an injured HMMWV. I have never been that close to one. It is very quiet (relatively). An incredible looking machine- I followed them for a few miles and got a really good look at it.

I guess Jones is gonna' have to pull a Cranetruck and come visit us right coasters!

Jones

Clinto, if you get a chance to wrangle a ride in one, take it!! but be sure that both side windows are open 'cause you'll have a grin so wide you won't be able to close the doors. We went down and I got a ride in a PLS... THEM IS NEAT! Big but amazingly agile with the one, two and fifth axles steering.
Re: Trip east. Not sure I have the fortitude of Cranetruck. I'd probably cheat and have it trucked most of the way so I'd still have my sense of humor and be fresh enough to enjoy myself there on the east side of the world. Though, I gotta admit, it would be one heck of a shakedown cruise.

Ok, I have a few minutes here and want to give Leonard a nod.
I fiinally made it up to Northern California during a moving session with some of my new brides things(to store in my shop in Yuba City) and had a chance to meet up with Leonard. Of course the visit was truncated too short and I had loads of questions and needed to touch more of the vehicle - but I did get there.

What a great individual Leonard is and funny! Oh did I mention the Baby HEMTT is just a monster!! I pulled up the street looking for the beast and when it came into view it dwarfed his driveway, garage, yard and everything withing 50 yards. This thing is HUGE!!

So I whip out the expensive Nikon digital and whammo - one picture and battery dead. No problem, I have another for just such an occurance. Puke - it's dead too. I forgot to recharge them after my recent honeymoon. Drat!!! :oops:

Of course my bride Kelly has her camera fully charged and ready to go. I took a bunch of pictures with her camera but I have to get her camera from her and download them as of yet. but I do have the one I took.

By the way, for reference of just how big this creation is, Leonard is one of those guys that can reach the top shelp with his heels still flat on the ground - read - he is one tall dude! I'm 5'11" and my nose was about shoulder height to him.

So without further adeau and a promise to get more pictures on here - I give you Leonard and his Baby HEMTT..................

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Wow Jones, where did you find that miniature engine hoist?

rofl

Jones

Clinto, now don't be picking on my engine hoist; it was really handy pulling Bjorn's tranny when we did the rear seal. The extension legs are laying under the baby HEMTT. Would have bought the bigger one but I'm not zoned for it.
Baby HEMTT update:
Working on the induction system to get air-- minus any rain drops, leaves, dirt clods, small birds, trout (in case I'm fording a lake or river) into the air filter housing.
Punched 14 4" holes in the bed walls in prep for M35A3 style tie-down installation.
Building supports for the trans cooler that will also carry the power steering resv. and primary fuel filter/water seperator.
Starting on a battery box and second version (larger) tool box for the pass side; figured if I have the room, why not fill it and make it useful?
Am gutting the cab of all wiring and air lines to re-do and simplify.
As soon as the trans cooler and fuel filter are in and plumbed, I'm gonna prime everything and light it off. I know the engine's a good one; it came out of my '96 Dodge pick-up.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny how a truck that big can be called "Baby". When Leonard first told me of his little shop project, I had a hard time grasping it. I must admit, Leonard is a visionary. As this thing comes together its just cool as heck. If only I had the skills and resources. Oh, and the money too! Leonard, tell me about the HEMTT seats. Bruce Kubu once suggested them and since there seem to be so many cabs coming out, I'm considering the purchase of one for the seats. Do you think they would be worth getting for a deuce?

Jones

Definately worth considering Kenny. They're spring over shock and look pretty good. Only thing to consider is the seat to steering wheel clearance. I can measure mine if that'll help.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Working with Leonard was a pleasure, best place in the country to break down when some machining work is required to get back on the road.

Image below shows the hoist in use (one of the few times the HIAB didn't work). aua

Leonard, you should show the troops some of the precision work involved in making one of your Gatling guns, impressive!

Attachments