• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project in progress / Brush Fire Truck / lots of pics added

ladder09

TONS OF NEW PICS ADDED + VIDEOS

Hello one and all. First post here. Just wanted to know this website rocks for all the information it has. You all seem very knowledgeable. Here is my situation:

Our fire department has been donated a 1968 5 ton kaiser. It was previously owned by the Pennsylvania Dept. Of Forestry. They donated it to us after we expressed some interest in obtaining one. I really don't know much about these trucks, except they are built pretty damn well.

When we first got it, it had a 3,000 gallon water tank mounted to the frame. We have since removed that, and attatched a regular "stake body" bed. We also stripped it down, and repainted the chassis and cab, and got new wheels and tires. We also got a winch, wheich we are still trying to work on getting hooked up.

Here are some pics:

I'd love to hear from the experts. Our biggest project right now is completely re-wiring this thing. The only thing that works electronically are the headlights.[/b]

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a greate project - put a couple 400-gallon skid tanks in the back and a heavy duty water pump system and you're in brush truck business!

ladder09

maddawg308 said:
Looks like a greate project - put a couple 400-gallon skid tanks in the back and a heavy duty water pump system and you're in brush truck business!
We just got a 1,000 gallon water tank, and a 500 GPM pump. I'll have to take some newer pics.

ladder09

DaveP said:
looks like this unit may have the later style power steering.
Keep the commenst coming, tell me what you see.

Newer power steering better than the old ? lol

rmgill

The wiring looks good in the photos. I would go through the wiring diagram and verify that everything is connected correctly. Misconnect some things and nothing will work. check that you're getting power at the circuit breakers too.

Service that winch cable too. Pull it all the way out, make sure it's in good shape and clean and lube it. Last thing you want is a dodgy winch cable when you need it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks