• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project Shanty: Bolster plus Improvised Shelter equals Camper

frodobaggins

I started on what I call "Project Shanty" today. I picked up this improvised shelter from jluv1185 last year. I picked it up at the La Rally this year. Tim, "timntrucks", was nice enough to store it for me for a while.

I also bought a deuce bed from Tim previously at a price I couldn't refuse. It's a little rough, but serviceable. I have a bolster trailer to put this all on.

This may take a while because my ADD is so bad I have 15 or more different projects going on at once, so...

Anyway, here is the start of the project.

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I would drop that styrofoam like a bad habit and have it sprayed inside with insulation foam.....after I made sure all external leaks were sealed. Seal the outside with "Coolseal" (what you paint the roof of mobile homes with).

I am assuming you are going to mount bed and all on the bolster...correct?

frodobaggins

What are your plans and ideas about the project?

Rick
Well I'm currently still pouring over other members' camper conversions for ideas. Paying real close attention to 109 conversions as the space is very similar. So layout and such is still very much on the table. About all I know is I want to fit a double bed in there.

As far as the trailer itself, I toyed with the idea of extending the tongue out on the bolster and mounting the box far forward to have a back "porch" of sorts, (wreckerman special) .. :) But I nixed that idea as the tongue weight would be enormous and weight distribution would be too far forward for my liking.

I now plan to mount the box as far back as possible and use the front area for gear, generator, etc.

frodobaggins

I would drop that styrofoam like a bad habit and have it sprayed inside with insulation foam.....after I made sure all external leaks were sealed. Seal the outside with "Coolseal" (what you paint the roof of mobile homes with).

I am assuming you are going to mount bed and all on the bolster...correct?
The styrofoam is on it's way to the landfill. I was surprised at how well it actually worked though. The box got 15 degrees hotter after I gutted it. I knew it would work, but I had no idea the effect would be so drastic and immediate. That temp jump was in a span of 5 minutes or so. I'm sure it served the soldiers well, but it's gladly gone :)

When I get all the metal straight and the holes patched up I will look into the insulating options. Sprayed is definitely on my list to check.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
As far as the trailer itself, I toyed with the idea of extending the tongue out on the bolster and mounting the box far forward to have a back "porch" of sorts, (wreckerman special) .. :smile: But I nixed that idea as the tongue weight would be enormous and weight distribution would be too far forward for my liking.
I have very heavy load of metal on mine and I just pulled it 15 miles with my auxillary duece...pulled like it was not even back there. I doubt that setup you got is anywhere near as heavy as the load pictured.

The bed will set on the front crossmember just fine and you can leave enough room so it will turn wthout getting into the bed of the deuce. That will leave you plenty of room for the "back porch".

Attachments

frodobaggins

I have very heavy load of metal on mine and I just pulled it 15 miles with my auxillary duece...pulled like it was not even back there. I doubt that setup you got is anywhere near as heavy as the load pictured.

The bed will set on the front crossmember just fine and you can leave enough room so it will turn wthout getting into the bed of the deuce. That will leave you plenty of room for the "back porch".
You know what, when I get ready, I may throw the bed on like that and add 1500 lbs or so to the bed and see how it rides. I do like that idea.

powerhouseduece

Just to add a few thoughts, I know you guys dont really have hills around there but:

1. Its going to be kinda heavy, I think a bolster trailer is around 4,800 lbs on its own.
2. Don't extend the toung anymore then you have to, easier parking when you get to your camp site.
3. DON'T GET IT STUCK IN YOUR OWN BACK YARD!!!!! rofl

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about the squash?

Personally, I would not toss the foam blocks unless they crumbled on removal. It's effective insulation, cuts with a hot knife and installs with a can of spray adhesive.

Plus the price is unbeatable.

Rick

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you going to panel the interior with cardboard and stick a window A/C unit through the wall? Keep you in touch with your "roots"...

Well we're movin on up,
To the east side.
To a deluxe apartment in the sky.
Movin on up,
To the east side.
We finally got a piece of the pie.

Fish don't fry in the kitchen;
Beans don't burn on the grill.
Took a whole lotta tryin',
Just to get up that hill.
Now we're up in the big leagues,
Gettin' our turn at bat.
As long as we live, it's you and me baby,
There ain't nothin wrong with that.

Well we're movin on up,
To the east side.
To a deluxe apartment in the sky.
Movin on up,
To the east side.
We finally got a piece of the pie.

Attachments

Last edited:

Capt.Marion

With the way the axles are set up on the bolster trailer, have you considered a FRONT porch, instead?

There's nothing saying you couldn't lash your gear down and stow it on the front porch in transit, then unload it and unhitch and enjoy your porch once you get to your destination.

frodobaggins

With the way the axles are set up on the bolster trailer, have you considered a FRONT porch, instead?

There's nothing saying you couldn't lash your gear down and stow it on the front porch in transit, then unload it and unhitch and enjoy your porch once you get to your destination.
Maybe so. I need to do some measuring and such.

jamesfrom180

I was wondering the same...could you reverse the mounting of the bed and the shelter and use the extending tongue as a variable length type front porch. I personally would like that idea. If you need to move the trailer could be compact and if more space needed easily grow a few feet. As for the cool-seal not sure I would use it. Being a roofers son trust me when I say that stuff doesn't seem to last and is a real pain to fix. I would go with a heavy epoxy primer and possibly some of the new high expansion epoxy sealers used on aluminum boats.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks