• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project Shanty: Bolster plus Improvised Shelter equals Camper

6x6guy

It was one of those weekend projects that keeps me out of the house and at the shop- doing
what I like to do, making stuff functional and usable, so many projects and not enough time or money.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i ditto the lowes cool crap.. that dont last at all. they do make a real great stuff. looks like cool seal but 3 times the cost but worth every penny of it.

jamesfrom180

The cool seal comes in two different qualities yes. Its a coating and never intended to be used as a waterproofing system. Think spray paint: not, primer, base, sealer, wax!!!

Frodo--- the new shanty does look like a step up. Would think bedliner might work good. I still would worry about the expansion of the metal. What was the decision on the insulation?

frodobaggins

The cool seal comes in two different qualities yes. Its a coating and never intended to be used as a waterproofing system. Think spray paint: not, primer, base, sealer, wax!!!

Frodo--- the new shanty does look like a step up. Would think bedliner might work good. I still would worry about the expansion of the metal. What was the decision on the insulation?
I won't be making a final decision on that until I actually get the box mounted and sides straight. I was thinking along the lines of the rigid foam type with foil on it or possibly sprayed. I'll take any and all opinions on this.

As far as the top expansion goes, anyone who has any experience in that area can speak up. The top is pretty thin gauge galvanized sheet metal. I could walk on it as long as I was easy with it. I have no problem adding extra supports etc if needed.

jamesfrom180

My experience would say don't spray in the insulation unless you are really confident in the water proof nature of your structure. With the nature of the improvised shelter you would have to judge that. But the common ISO board with the foil is what I would go with. If you did have a leak it would not trap the water like a sprayed in foam. Just my opinion.

Do you have a decision on the mounting yet? Whichever you go with I guess if you had the extra "porch" space it would appear the former shanty could tag along as a back up houch.rofl

frodobaggins

Do you have a decision on the mounting yet? Whichever you go with I guess if you had the extra "porch" space it would appear the former shanty could tag along as a back up houch.rofl

No, but I can finally do some serious consideration. I filed for my SF-97 for the bolsters late by accident. Filed them about 3 weeks ago and hoped. Well today they charged my card..so looking in the mail woot !!!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Love the essence of this battlefield improv "SHANTY" thread. Thanks for posting it up.

The cardboard on pallets hooch is about as ghetto as an MVer should ever stoop though.

OK - here's that JEFFERSONS THEME with a "military twist"....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3YRWhg4YaA[/media]

NOTE: While is DO NOT endorse "hitler" or the "nazi" theme, the SATIRE IS HILLARIOUS ! ! !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks