• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project Time Again - re-paint

zout

Either Ulra or Marquee Swiss for the axles.

So anyhow before the Ga Rally last year I wanted to clean up the exhaust piping. I have concentrated acid brite that is used to clean aluminum tanks - trailers etc - full strength.

I figured after doucing the exhaust with this stuff to make it shiney I would be doing some paint clean up and fixing as this stuff is nasty (it is called acid for a reason) and it had already ate all the paint off the exhaust system and rinsing with the pressure washer.

The Behr Ulta paint was never damaged - stained - removed - absolutely nothing - it was still in perfect condition - that said a lot to me right there how durable this stuff is.

bonedoc

Yup just ole Behr exterior Ultra or the new Marquee brand.

If your gun is adjusted properly - it is simple - if its not you can get a heaping big gob of paint or little paint with little coating.
These were shot with the spray pattern in a 0 - and not fanned for wider coverage - therefore - you volume adjust on the back of the gun has to be adjusted to not let a great deal of paint out.

Here is what you do to adjust your gun:

If its a normal HVLP it MIGHT have an air adjuster on the bottom of the handle- if there is turn it to full volume - use a paint gun air gauge where your air line attached so you can watch it. I was shooting the thicker stuff with 50 lbs at this setting.
Turn the knob on the top left side of the gun all the way in (not tight) - this is the fan adjuster
Turn the top knob on the back side of the gun - top one all the way in as well (not tight) this is your volume of paint that is allowed to come out the tip

Get your air pressure to setting - gun with paint load in it - go do a test pattern on the side of something flat. Slowly open the volume knob till you see paint - you will have a pattern of 0.
Slowly open up the volume a little more and you will see more paint coming out - then slowly open your fan spray pattern til it is about 4 inches wide - what your looking for is paint pattern that is wet but not running when you full open the trigger - you want a fan patter of about 4 inches (I have one that sprays about 20 inches) and wet paint in this full pattern.

Shooting the rims - I used the 0 fan pattern and backed off the paint volume and just worked on getting coverage - you have to work these adjustments as you go along to fit the area's shooting - Like I mentioned - almost ALL what I shot today was in the 0 fan pattern and low paint volume. Different when you shoot flat open surfaces as you will be seeing in the near future.

Last - mine looks awesome after a year of abuse and crapola bro - its only $38 a gallon an cleans up with water and you can shoot it dang near anywhere.
AWESOME!! Thank you very much for taking the time to answer, really appreciated. Look forward to seeing the rest.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
That truck owner must be a cheap bast**d!!! OH WAIT!!! Did I type that out loud???:shock:
I know that comment was made in jest, But just want to say that the owner, Mr. Swiss IS one of the most generous people that I know and that he is right up there along with Mr. PB. and Mr. Zout, It is a PRIVILAGE to know them.

WantOne

Great Information! This is exactly what I need to do to my truck. Think I can handle the pressure washing, but have never painted anything except with rattle cans. Is the green degreaser you use something like simple green or is it from flynns as well? What ratio did you mix? Any special precautions or handling needed for the wild dog?

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I know that comment was made in jest, But just want to say that the owner, Mr. Swiss IS one of the most generous people that I know and that he is right up there along with Mr. PB. and Mr. Zout, It is a PRIVILAGE to know them.
Ron... I know that very well and I only pick on folks I love like a Brother....Now crawl back in your hole...LOL

zout

simple green is about 50 steps behind this stuff - I use it 50/50 mix with water - the wild dog is a whole nother product - I wear gloves and eye protection spraying it - not so much with full water on it rinsing but you'll know its there if you get it on you.

The wild dog I used full strength - looks at the 5 gallon jugs you can see exactly how much I used - they were both full.

You'll be just as old in a year from now wether you learn to spray with a gun or cans or don't. It just has to be learned - so you screw something up a couple times it no big deal - its a learning curve. That was a $59 siphon gun I shot that black with. Its not like my $700 and up guns - but it works for what we're using them for.

zout

All the Crown was in my camel pac while shooting and no Crown bag to hang to tease with - I have a friend who saves these bags - so he gets first dibs now. You'll just have to picture it in your imagination for now.

Pete - if you looks at some earlier posts from Swiss - I believe that is the example he gave me. OR another one like it. But Swiss's truck tires are dirty from use and your are not rofl

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Pete since you would not sell me yours I have to go build one :). That is a beautiful truck !
I seriously thought about trying to steal Pete's truck but I don't think I'm up to taking to a severe azz whooping anymore!:cry:

Don't worry swisseroo!! Commander Warp will turn your lump of coal into a diamond!:grd::beer:

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pete you are still shooting Sherman Williams paint for the green correct?
NO sir! Never used SW paint. I use Rapco and Mobile Paints. Not to undermine the "commander", but would suggest using rattle can bed liner paint on the frame, etc. Has a tougher finish and much easier to wash off and still has the dull finish.

zout

Anyhow - now that I am done messing with PcTrans - and my arse going to get kicked at my cookout for doing it - here is why I chose the Marquee paint - I know what the Yellow looks like on the nose of the 909 - still looks like you just shot the stuff - no dirt or dust is sticking to it - nor is the black goo from the pine tree's.

I appreciate the suggestion Pete by all means. Here is the scoop on what this stuff is:
MARQUEE Exterior is a stain-blocking paint and primer that features Behr's most advanced dirt and fade protection technology It creates a tough, non-stick surface that resists dirt to give color that looks freshly painted longer, even under severe weather conditions. It also delivers a mildew-resistant finish and stands up to rain as early as 60 minutes after application, as well as providing exceptional gloss retention.

Besides my fingers get numb pulling the trigger of a spray can or pushing down on the applicator.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks