• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project Time Again - re-paint

zout

Tin Medic - at least the pic's were not pink this time.

Busy yesterday at CAMO and got home in enough time before the squirrels arrived to cook their dinner and help with homework. Got a few things done I have been putting off but not working on the paint.

Rain today and by the puddle under the truck it looked like it had rained up here while I was gone.

Headed back into warmer weather into the weekend and I see no reason not to have Swiss's truck done and ready by then.
I have a neighbor with a bobcat who is going to do some leveling off around the garage and side where I ripped it up pretty good and get ready for the KC to show up.

sniperboy

Zout - I do say the truck looks really good. Being a FNG at painting I have a few questions about what you are doing:
how much do you thin the paint?
Do you use any conditioner?
Assuming you are using a HVLP sprayer what pressures are you using?

zout

It just take time is all - everything is a learning curve - just hang in there.

For about two quarts I use about a 1/2 cup of water (water based paint and water clean up)
Need to watch this though - water takes longer to evaporate than chemicals. While stirring it and reducing you want it running off the stir stick not thick and not absolutely running - nice steady stream - you will know when you shoot it.

Nope - no conditioner's or additives what so ever.

I am running on the gauge about 38 lbs with the HVLP air adjuster wide open - I have a digital gauge on the hose inlet side already.
Just ask away if I can help.

Another Ahab

For about two quarts I use about a 1/2 cup of water (water based paint and water clean up)
Need to watch this though - water takes longer to evaporate than chemicals. While stirring it and reducing you want it running off the stir stick not thick and not absolutely running - nice steady stream - you will know when you shoot it.

Hey Commander: Is one of these worth at all throwing into the painting "kit bag" (viscosity cup)?

Or is it really easier just to eyeball it, like it seems you're doing (and with killer results).

cup.jpg

zout

These are great questions and you can also see some past and or present painting experience when these are asked.

IF - I were painting Urentance - Epoxies - Synthetics etc - that stack of paint mix cups disappears quickly as I mix per the instructions with no twitching on the mixes.

With this stuff - its very close on the viscosity of it when I finally nail it each time - and so far each time has been a variable of temps. So I just feel better eyeballing the water mix for now - usually when I have the large area's like the finishing of the underside to do I use up my saved ice cream plastic buckets - I have them marked for mix - easy to keep shooting as well.

The 34095 - was pretty much hopping around on different days getting done what I could - but I have to tell ya it binds really will with the inter coats.

zout

Here is a knucklehead tip for ya:
Ever have a skin form on the top of the paint you have used - went back to it a week later and that skin has formed (do not get off on a tangent that I said SKIN please).

Take a piece of aluminum foil - sit a paint can on top of it - cut out the circular pattern - I usually folks a bunch and do several layers at one time - take the circular piece - punch a small hole in it - lay it over the top of an open can so it is slightly tight - juts breath down into the hole (do not blow hard) then get the lid on it.

Puts carbon dioxide into it to keep the oxygen from forming that skin. - Helps seal the lid as well. Yes keep the alum under the lid.

Another Ahab

I am running on the gauge about 38 lbs with the HVLP air adjuster wide open - I have a digital gauge on the hose inlet side already.
Just ask away if I can help.
You ever shoot with a commercial paint gun (vs HVLP gun) like a Graco, attached?

If painting is likely to come up regular, are these worth the money?

Or does the HVLP gun handle it all OK?

Graco.jpg

Last edited:

zout

Yes - works with all of them

Swiss - if you keep turning the heat down here in Georgia outside it will be a long time to get done - turn it back up to the 60's please.

As for the guns.
I have about 6 or 7 guns from cheapo to really not cheap (over a 1k figure) BUT this is for the folks who just want a really good paint job so we'll stick on trac with that.
The siphon HVLP gun I have is around $49 the gravity fed HVLP gun set was around $159 for 4 guns and kit. The upper range guns I have from Devilbis Finishmasters on up

Its a military truck - its basic flat paint and nothing special anyway you go so it does not really matter. As long as you can lay it down evenly and the same color it all winds up the same in the end - OD GREEN or TAN.
I used all the lesser grade guns so far and stayed with the 1.8 tip.

If I were to put it into a sort of production level - a pot system is what I would use - and a really good filter system like I hook up when I shoot the more $$$$$ paints.

Just look at some of the awesome folks have done with just using spray cans !!!!!!!!!! cannot argue with that - so for any gun system you sure do not need much cost wise to shoot a good lookin truck.

zout

Swiss is blessing me by finally turning up the head outside :) expecting to be able to finish the underside of the chassis this weekend.

IF - I can obscounder my oldest grandson who knows how to make a YouTube video - I can if you want have him shoot a small clip of what that texture looks like when I have it reduced down to give you an idea. Let me know and I'll take time to do that for ya.

Then its clean up time - get ready for a KC to hit the DZ.

Another Ahab

Swiss is blessing me by finally turning up the head outside :) expecting to be able to finish the underside of the chassis this weekend.

IF - I can obscounder my oldest grandson who knows how to make a YouTube video - I can if you want have him shoot a small clip of what that texture looks like when I have it reduced down to give you an idea. Let me know and I'll take time to do that for ya.

Then its clean up time - get ready for a KC to hit the DZ.
Please:

Moar.jpg

Last edited:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Things are heating up in Georgia, Commander Zout likes to get up at 0400 dark 30 and get to the workshop :) He has already sent over a picture of some touch up and the creeper on the concrete. Hopefully we will get some pictures later today!

zout

Yeah - still pretty chilly out there this morning.
Guns and equipment all cleaned up and fired that bad baby up and drove it to the top of the hill and wiggled it in. Just gotta love power steering.100_1953.jpg100_1954.jpg100_1955.jpg100_1956.jpg100_1957.jpg