• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project time once again Swiss's CUCV

zout

Sort of Kenny - couple folks here have seen me lately and know whats going on - at least what they see cause I ain;t saying. Its not an excuse - its just a kick down in speed limit.

I have been using what I had left in stock for Swiss to keep his costs down and get moving on the project - He will be back from NV later this week and have sent him a very very short list of items needed to get onto them dents (must have been smacking into Ron in the woods) but I will also get what is called a "glide" coat over the areas that are dented so when I take the major ones out - this will highlight the smaller ones when it comes to block sanding out the primer.

All a glide coat is - is a "like" identical paint but thinned out to where you just add a little color to the surface - so when block sanding the low spots will have this color left - while the flat surfaces are getting flatter yet - then go to work on them low spots to bring the entire surface flat - hope I explained that good enough - at least it makes sense in my pea brain.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought painting MVs was kinda like painting houses. Give it a wash and a scrape and lay on the color.

zout

You've seen them 16th century movies where the knights dump hot oil all over the barbarians !! - I just thought I would type in some fancy painting lingo - but I have the buckets already to dump throught the open holes cut in the roof of the garage when Swiss gives me the paint and leaves - dump away - I will have beer for anyone that wants to pull the rope :beer:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I kind of like the green racing strips that are left over from the sanding :)

I cant wait until we get the purple color on the vehicle with the yellow racing stripes! How cool is that going to be.

Attachments

Last edited:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought MV's had to have "50 foot" paint jobs, IE the closest the paint job looks good is 50' away. Any closer, and runs start to show up.....

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought painting MVs was kinda like painting houses. Give it a wash and a scrape and lay on the color.
Zout is the Michelangelo of MV painting :) I have seen him laying on his back painting like the Sistine Chapel. Angels were singing and the sun shinning.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Zout is the Michelangelo of MV painting :) I have seen him laying on his back painting like the Sistine Chapel. Angels were singing and the sun shinning.
Sounds like they got into the "Apple Pie...or the Cherry Juice" and Zout couldn't stand or sit up anymore.

zout

I wanna make this PERFECTLY CLEAR - my paint runs are aerodynamically tolerant - some appreciate them but I guess you critics are not aua - what a tough bunch.
Some folks have saved some of my pics to their desktop - nit picked and inspected everything - but I love it. I love company anytime - just as long as you know how to open a beer can without handing it to me shaking it.

As for that special liquid thing - folks that have been around can only appreciate it.

Anyhow - the CUCV got a little more attention - have a tad bit more to make that RH front fender corner the way it should be. - Hood started and trying to keep up with all the impacts of Ron denting the hood on his way over the top of the cab
. Got the bumper off so I can sand the grille once I can find my way back to it - I left a toilet paper trail so it should not be too hard. I plan on staying at that place where they leave the light on so I can work on getting smarter during my stay so I can figure out how to put all this chit back together.Photo2237.jpgPhoto2238.jpgPhoto2239.jpgPhoto2240.jpgPhoto2241.jpg

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey my bumper was stolen, what is with that. We are going to have to lock the garage door and let out the attack CAT. I hate being 2000 miles across the county :(

Love the updates, what a county.

I think they are butchering the cow to get ready to Tan the leather for the seats :naner:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where are the pictures that are always stuck on the camera after the first post???

:jumpin::jumpin::jumpin::jumpin::jumpin::jumpin:

zout

Swiss I only find this fair - touchie

You have 33 replies to the thread:
With my posts of pics and blah blah blah - that averages for a total of me having it 4 DAYS now - 8.25 replies per day.
Without my posts that is 5.75 replies per day

With 536 views that equals 134 views per day. I guess you can count the 10 I have in there because it pops up as views as well as posts.

If I take two weeks to get this done - in 14 days you should have 1876 views. Total of 115.5 posts (ya should hope I posts pics every night when I am done).

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Swiss I only find this fair - touchie

You have 33 replies to the thread:
With my posts of pics and blah blah blah - that averages for a total of me having it 4 DAYS now - 8.25 replies per day.
Without my posts that is 5.75 replies per day

With 536 views that equals 134 views per day. I guess you can count the 10 I have in there because it pops up as views as well as posts.

If I take two weeks to get this done - in 14 days you should have 1876 views. Total of 115.5 posts (ya should hope I posts pics every night when I am done).
Brilliant!

zout

Those hoods are a POS - like sanding a cookie pan - no wonder GM made them go to the lowest bidder.

Now that we're in gear the passenger side is a piece of cake to whittle down - rocker panel for the driver side made it safe and sound - looks like we have to pull the entire drivers side fender to get this piece in - SURPRISE.

Here is the last pic on the cell that always hangs around - me with my feet up and teaching the 4 squirrels how to shoot the top off Q tips from about 20 ft away with their Red Ryder BB gun - won;t tell ya how I learned how to do this trick chit - but here are some pics of the oldest DOING IT.

Forgot - did I have a CUCV to work on - DUH
Photo2242.jpgPhoto2243.jpgPhoto2244.jpgPhoto2245.jpgPhoto2246.jpgPhoto2247.jpgPhoto2248.jpgPhoto2249.jpgPhoto2250.jpg

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the fender had to come off anyway to readjust the door hinges. You will find a missing bolt on the top of the fender near the windshield that I used in the Alternator :(

We can talk about maybe welding some bracing into the hood. They are as flimbsy as a sheet of aluminum paper.

zout

Well - I can see where Ron bashed his head flipping and twisting headed over the roof on the left rear area of the hood - it has his beaky forhead mark still left in it - some remnence of a smile in there somewhere - or was it an ole chit this is going to hurt grin embeded in the metal - hard to tell.

Fender ought to be really fun to remove after its been in the sand pit - then in your woods in the MUD. Ahh - all in the realm of working on stuff.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks