• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project time once again Swiss's CUCV

zout

Stay tuned - no work done tonight - been up a very long time dealing with the LEO on local and Federal levels - going to eat -relax and sleep.

zout

Got home on time - headed to the garage and started in full force. About 30 minutes into the work a nasty storm came through and my back yard and power line into my garage area was a water fall area. Seconds later lightening struck the power tower just away from the garage and miliseconds later I could see branches blasted off the tree's next to the drive flying towards the back of the 109 and also into the power line area. First when the power went dead I grabbed a beer and lowered down Swiss's tailgate and watched the storm - they intrique me to watch - I could see the whole lightening thing to the side of me and front of me.

I only was able to finish the drivers side fender and had almost the door done and wanting to move onto the rear - but the power went out before the show started.
Photo2251.jpgPhoto2252.jpgPhoto2253.jpgPhoto2254.jpgPhoto2255.jpgPhoto2256.jpgits only day 5 working on it anyhow and yesterday was a day off due to work circumstances. Hope pics are clear enough - they were taken with lights out.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Crawl under the top, you will be safe :) That or turn it over and it will float like a boat, toot toot boat is a leaving.

We got nailed in Oakwood also. Great Storm, rain was totally sideways with 45 mph gusts.

zout

As I was sitting on the tailgate of YOUR truck drinking a beer watching the storm - that top was lifting off the ground fella

zout

For some reason under assumption I thought working on a CUCV might bring a little more interest - but it looks like there is little to no interest. Must be folks just with to use household paint instead which is not up my alley.

Seems to be more interest in posting chit that is NON MV related as well - SO
These are the last pics I am going to post and the end of this thread as far as I am concerned - I have my hands full as it is and will busier here in the next coming weeks. If Swiss wishes to post his stuff that is his decision - he will have any pics of work e mailed to him and not posted by me.
Photo2257.jpgPhoto2258.jpgPhoto2259.jpg There were at least 2 coats of CARC on this outter surface - from what I could determine at least another 3 coats of Desert Tan - then the Woodland as the surface coat.
There has been previous repairs with BONDO to several area's as well including the drivers door lower section. I have the rest of the tailgate to finish - cab roof and then repairs. Whats taking so long is getting rid of the outter chitty painted surfaces - started with 180 and the rest has been 80 grit - that should give most an idea how much chit was painted onto this body. The End.

phil2968

For some reason under assumption I thought working on a CUCV might bring a little more interest - but it looks like there is little to no interest. ....
Has of this posting this thread has had over 1000 views of 52 postings. I see plenty of interest. I may not comment on every single post or picture but I do read and look at each one. Dave, I appreciate your postings, pic uploads and progress reports. Your work inspires me to get out in this stifling Florida heat and work on my junk! I'm sure I can not be the only one that feels that way! What you do every day affects many people in ways that you may not realize.

Please continue to update this thread!

Thanks for all you do, Phillip.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also read each and every post. Have learned a lot( breaking down 70 year old rims is not fun)plus I enjoy the pics.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might need a belt sander for this one. Hey Swiss, is this the a/c truck that was stationed at the CAMO coumpound for a spell?

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lesson to the wise, don't stop by at Zouts to check on the progress of a project. You will be put to work immediately with no mercy. Long day today, I was at Z's by 0730 with coffee and hand and could not escape till after 1400 hrs.

On valuable lesson learned is don't attack any project without the right tools :) I got to play with a bunch of awsome airtools.

It took all of 4 hours of sanding to get the tailgate down to green CARC. I did not appreciate how much work Commander Z can do a warp speed. We are talking cut once, cut again, cut again, cut again, do some hand sanding, cut again and then finally you start to get down to solid green paint that is embedded into the metal. Crazy hard work.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks