• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project Wild Weasel M1009

CARC686

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just gotta understand the money pit gets deep and wide when things are changed. Lift springs effectively shorten the propeller shafts and brake hose length, increase the pinion angles. Common consensus seems to be that you can get away with it up to 4". 33s fit with stock springs and tires bigger than that would smoke your transmission with 3:08 gears. Of course the 10-bolt axles will break first. If you want to get out cheap, you can keep on the lookout for a junk truck you can tow home and pull the axles off that. Now the perches won't be right, so I hope you can weld. If you don't want a junk truck lawn ornament, Hillbilly Wizard will sell you a pair of fresh axles ready to bolt in for about $15000 before shipping. You'll need new wheels because the bolt pattern is different. If you go with the milsurp HMMWV stuff, you can score some dry rotten tires with an obsolete wheel diameter for only $1200 before shipping without a spare. Otherwise, you're looking at a minimum of $2000.

Pretty sure that about does it. You done made truck more tall. Very cool.

Last edited:

CARC686

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just gotta understand the money pit gets deep and wide when things are changed. Lift springs effectively shorten the propeller shafts and brake hose length, increase the pinion angles. Common consensus seems to be that you can get away with it up to 4". 33s fit with stock springs and tires bigger than that would smoke your transmission with 3:08 gears. Of course the 10-bolt axles will break first. If you want to get out cheap, you can keep on the lookout for a junk truck you can tow home and pull the axles off that. Now the perches won't be right, so I hope you can weld. If you don't want a junk truck lawn ornament, Hillbilly Wizard will sell you a pair of fresh axles ready to bolt in for about $15000 before shipping. You'll need new wheels because the bolt pattern is different. If you go with the milsurp HMMWV stuff, you can score some dry rotten tires with an obsolete wheel diameter for only $1200 before shipping without a spare. Otherwise, you're looking at a minimum of $2000.

Pretty sure that about does it. You done made truck more tall. Very cool.
My apologies. I forgot the drop pitman arm, lift shocks, and crossover steering. Also, the big tires will break the frame, so that'll need to be reinforced. Might as well box the whole thing. There's a kit for that. Braking performance will be downright dangerous, so those really ought to be upgraded, and the diff ratios may need to be changed. Not sure if the NP208 will handle great big tires, so an NP205 is in order, and since you've gone this far, might as well twin stick it.

At this point, just go ahead and stick a granny gear NV4500 in it with the rare external slave cylinder and slap a 6BT in front of it. Whoops. Built my dream truck. It only cost what I paid for my first house and I bet I could get $8k for it at auction.

Don-T

My apologies. I forgot the drop pitman arm, lift shocks, and crossover steering. Also, the big tires will break the frame, so that'll need to be reinforced. Might as well box the whole thing. There's a kit for that. Braking performance will be downright dangerous, so those really ought to be upgraded, and the diff ratios may need to be changed. Not sure if the NP208 will handle great big tires, so an NP205 is in order, and since you've gone this far, might as well twin stick it.

At this point, just go ahead and stick a granny gear NV4500 in it with the rare external slave cylinder and slap a 6BT in front of it. Whoops. Built my dream truck. It only cost what I paid for my first house and I bet I could get $8k for it at auction.
Yep, not much of an investment but it could be a great deal for the next guy to buy it if there is anything left of it after a few years of fun.

Reactions: rtk
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks