• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Proper tow bar connection to any CUCV?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Wish I had known about adding the chains - one more item to add to my tow bag... and THAT towbar was borrowed. I've since purchased my own. Sure comes in handy if you need to TOW ONE HOME... Or from Denver to Dallas...

Here's my M1028A2 picking up my M1009 at Ft Riley

View attachment 331872

View attachment 331873

I pulled it home from Ft Riley to Denver - 500 miles in one day - no rush, no problems
You are lucky no LOE/DOT stopped you, as safety chains are REQUIRED by law, it is a WONDER no OTR trucker called you in, because NO BODY wants to see this kind of tow going down the road.

tgtaylor64

What else to safely tow a CUCV? I assume disconnect the batteries and put both the gear shift in Neutral as well as the transfer case? Anything else? Looking to tow one from AL to SC next week.

islandguydon

Wish I had known about adding the chains - one more item to add to my tow bag... and THAT tow bar was borrowed. I've since purchased my own. Sure comes in handy if you need to TOW ONE HOME... Or from Denver to Dallas...

Here's my M1028A2 picking up my M1009 at Ft Riley

View attachment 331872

View attachment 331873

I pulled it home from Ft Riley to Denver - 500 miles in one day - no rush, no problems

Hey dude, hows the generator treating ya..? I just noticed the tow bar feet are opposing, drivers side correct and the passenger side flipped down. Shouldn't both feet be attached flipped up..?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
What else to safely tow a CUCV? I assume disconnect the batteries and put both the gear shift in Neutral as well as the transfer case? Anything else? Looking to tow one from AL to SC next week.
Tcase in neutral, NOT the transmission. From what I've been told, that will burn up the trans.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM says to disconnect the drive shaft which is what I did. I later heard you can put the T-case in neutral and you are good. Make sure the front hubs are un-locked.