• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Prototype 5 ton 6X6 M956

Cdub

I was kinda think'n that a Prototype would bring BIG $$$$......... :?:

and would be snatched up in a hart beat.......doesn't seem that why though...??

C'dub

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well, it depends on what you want it for. If you are interested in a truck to drive all ove the place, off-road, haul, etc... it wouldn't be the best choice. Prototypes are just that. They are trucks that may not have parts or manuals available for them. That could make things very difficult if you break something or just need to perform some PM. This tends to decrease the value for regular users.

If you are interested in a truck strictly for its historical value, then this may be the truck for you. There are very few of them around, maybe just a handful. This tends to increase the value for collectors. A Bantam "jeep" prototype could bring enough money to buy a small house ;) Not so much with a 939-series proto.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reviving this thread; I recently saw one of these, though not in the shape of the one in the pictures on the first page. It does have what appear to be lighter duty axles than 5 ton Rockwells. Lighter springs but the owner says it rides like a Caddy. Maybe this will serve to pressure the owner to post pictures of the truck.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's wrong with the 3208? They used them a lot in state trucks from International. My Brother took the engine out to sell and it is a good running engine. Too much engine for a loaded dump truck as at auction we saw snapped axles and I almost did the same thing with a load on my Brother's truck.

Other than being expensive which goes with the color........

74M35A2

What's wrong with the 3208? They used them a lot in state trucks from International. My Brother took the engine out to sell and it is a good running engine. Too much engine for a loaded dump truck as at auction we saw snapped axles and I almost did the same thing with a load on my Brother's truck.

Other than being expensive which goes with the color........
Just personal preference. Glad my 9 has Cummins power.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wish they would've stuck with that "T" style torque rod. Would've been more reliable and easier to replace.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well this truck had the rear suspension torched off and replaced with a regular 5-ton setup for greater load rating. So the "T rods and shocks are off. But the original setup was included in the sale. It may or may not go back on. I suggested trying it out as is before deciding. As for the 3208, it has chrome valve covers so obviously, parts are going to be expensive:) As such, I'm guessing someone just felt it was a sin to cover them up with a hood so they cut the side louvers out.

I do not want to identify the owner on here in case he chooses not to chime in but your interest in this thread may help.

1954 COE

3.jpg5.jpg7.jpg9.jpg20150921_142843.jpg20150921_142914.jpg20150921_142944.jpg20150921_143315.jpg20150921_143320.jpg20150921_143412.jpg

VPed and I talked about posting pictures of this truck. I told him about the story I was told when I bought the truck not knowing if there was any truth to it or not. I told Vic I was going to feel pretty stupid if none of it were true. I was glad to see that the gentlemen who sold me the truck was not just making up the story
about it being one of 30 something that was produced as a prototype for the military contract. Vic found the original M956 thread on here which talked about
how the military was looking to get variations on what the next generation of truck was going to end up looking like and how it was going to be equipped. The owner
had done research on this truck before he bought it and was the kind of buyer who liked buying something out of the ordinary. He told me that they had also
produced at least one of these trucks with an independent suspension, this as far back as 1980 when this truck was produced. He wanted to use this truck in his business
as part of advertising and modified the rear suspension with a later 5 ton set up. The original suspension was just to soft to carry the loads he was putting on the back
of it and decided to make the change. When I bought the truck from him, I asked that he include any and all of the original parts that came with the truck. It has a 12 ft long Duece bed on it and he sold the drop down sides and modified it with rub rails as to be able to secure the loads on the bed when he hauled company deliveries with it.
Looking at the truck is like looking at one of those kids puzzles in the Sunday paper showing the same picture over and over with slight variations, and you find something
different each time you look. I am posting some of the pictures I have and will do more as I have time to really start looking the truck over.

The Cat 3208 coupled to the Allison 4 speed automatic transmission and the 2 speed manual transfer case make up the complete drive train. In what little time I have driven
the truck, the front suspension makes the truck an absolute pleasure to drive on the street and is as smooth as glass. The stock rear set up un-loaded, will still send shock
waves up your spinal column. The air cleaner and exhaust mounted on the passenger side was probably the most accommodating to the Cat engine set up. Pretty neat.

The side cut outs on the hood will make it easier for me to modify an air cleaner set up I wanted to try and they apply to my M939 trucks.

For those of you who know a lot more about the older trucks and have been aware and seen this type of prototype trucks before, I welcome your comments as
to what additional modifications that you might have seen that this one does of doesn't have.

I really liked what I saw in the truck and this lead me to buying it. Probably not a lot of these left anywhere.

Attachments

Jeepsinker

Actually from all description so far, these prototype trucks sound like a much better truck than what we actually ended up with. They might have actually been worth having if they had kept the Cat motor. And look what ended up in the LMTV series trucks, and now the new HET, a CAT engine. Why? Power, that's why. I'm sure the 3208 isn't anywhere near the gutless turd that the NHC 250 or the 8.3 is.

Jason O

Many 3208 truck engines were naturally aspirated 160-210 HP. Turbo versions in later engines up to 300 hp. Hardly a powerhouse. No sleeves / liners either so rebuilds are more difficult. When shopping for an older RV, i
I did a bit of reasearch on the 3208 and decided to a avoid it.

On the plus side, cheap parts trucks would be more common, and we would be doing all kinds of cool engine swaps if the M939 had been built with 3208 power.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks