• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PTO seals leaking, replacement info needed

trider

I have been taking my newly acquired deuce on short drives then checking it over for leaks as I have fixed several fuel and oil leaks on it since I bought it. I have been driving it the last few weekends with no leaks until today. I came outside this morning to find two leaks under the truck. The smaller of the two leaks it comes from the rubber boot on the right and it appears both of these rubber boots need replaced but I do not know what they are called to try and find replacements. IMG_00781.jpg Will replacing these rubber boots fix this or is there some other problem I am not seeing?

trider

So to be sure I'm understanding I need two front shift shaft seal ie: TIMKEN, NATIONAL #471538 and two boots and that should solve my problem?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Should, check the shift rail, if pitted or scared, replace it, the seals will not completely seal if so.

trider

Anyone have any instructions on how to replace these two shaft seals from under the truck or words of advise? I will be sure an inspect the shift rails as well. Thanks for that heads up.

trider

I know this is true but figured I might as well fix what I can that doesn't required a major tear down and isn't very costly. This doesnt sound too bad but I dont know exactly what is involved so maybe I am wrong. I know its a MV and will always have some leaks and seeps.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Anyone have any instructions on how to replace these two shaft seals from under the truck or words of advise? I will be sure an inspect the shift rails as well. Thanks for that heads up.
Instructions likely could be found in the TM.

All the TM sections:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/forumdisplay.php?95-Technical-Manuals

Deuce TMs:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/forumdisplay.php?113-The-Deuce-TMs

Or you can click on the Technical Manuals link up top of every page.

trider

If changing the seal from under the truck do you remove the shafts? I would think it would be hard to install the new seal with the shafts still installed.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If changing the seal from under the truck do you remove the shafts? I would think it would be hard to install the new seal with the shafts still installed.
Remove everything attached to the shift shaft?: YES; remove the shift shaft?: NO, you really can't... without pulling the whole PTO-unit.
Just pry the old seals out, clean/ inspect surfaces and install the new ones. Careful, the shaft material is soft steel - not hardened.
TM's #?? TM 9-2520-246-34 and -34P

G.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TMs are broke down in series and numbers. If the last number starts with 1 (10, 14 etc) its an owners manual. If it starts with 2 (20, 23, 24 etc) its a unit maintenance manual. If it starts with 3 (34, 35 etc) its a depot manual. Each level covers more detail. If that number ends with a P, then it's a parts manual. Start with the -20 then look at the -34. Specifically I would stay with the TM 9-2320-361-xx which is the 361 series (as underlined). Only 5 books to navigate through.

trider

TM 9-2520-246-34 does cover replacement of the shaft seals but with it out of the truck and disassembled. If I have any questions along the way I will be posting for help. I will get two new seals and boots ordered this week.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I literally just did one of these and although it's a pain to have to reshim the PTO, there's no way I'd try to do this on the truck. Take the PTO off do the job on the bench and then reinstall. I've had multiple trucks come out of the service that weren't shimmed properly (I've had at least half a dozen that weren't even shimmed: They put RTV sealer on and that was it!).

Also, don't damage the small rings that retain the boots. Make sure you're buying the right seals: The seals have to be .25" height and a lot of people are selling seals that are .28" or .30", which won't leave enough room in the bore for the boot retaining ring. When I went to NAPA and tried to order seals, the correct seal # superseded to a different seal that was too tall.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently did a clutch job, so naturally, I replaced all the seals in the Tranny & PTO. I had noticed that I could not put the winch in its 2nd gear, and just thought that it was an adjustment issue. Once I had the PTO on the bench, I realized the the PTO shift shaft had been installed backwards, because the detents would not line up for the shift points.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks