• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PTO seals leaking, replacement info needed

rustystud

Buddy... You will NEVER stop all the leaks. It will make you a madman.
That comment made me laugh hard ! On every diesel I have worked on (which is thousands) , I never found one that wasn't leaking something. Even brand spanking new ones !!!
I'm also in the process of rebuilding my PTO . I haven't found anyone who sells the thrustwashers though. Any help ?
Thanks, rustystud.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Try White Owl
I have had such good luck with George @ White Owl. They are excellent, knowledgeable, honest and fast. Very competitive pricing.

Can anybody help an Irish man in Ireland with an M35A2 oil leak ?
My truck is losing transmission oil through the seal at the front of the PTO (the shaft that powers the winch). When the truck is on a slow idle there are occasional drips however when its on a fast idle 1200-1500 RPM the oil is on a fine trickle out of this shaft seal. I never use the winch and the aforementioned was with the winch in the neutral position! Can someone please tell me if I am correct in assuming that the shaft is unbolted from the yoke at this end, the 1/2in bolts that hold the end plate housing the seal removed and of course the yoke taken off, does it just slide off on splines or keyway or is it likely to be difficult to remove ?? Any other advice on doing this would be greatly appreciated. TM Manual of no use as would prefer to do this insitu rather than remove PTO from transmission.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the end plate (retainer) needs to come off since the seal is removed/ installed from the inside.
You may want to drain the oil first.
Some output shafts have a yoke to connect the driveshaft but most use a flange. In either case they are secured via woodruff key and Allen set-screw. They can be hard to remove without a puller tool.

You mentioned, the driveshaft spinning with the engine idling? And the PTO shifted into neutral...??:?

G.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your PTO output shaft is spinning with the PTO in neutral, you need to pull the PTO and find the problem. You're going to cause all sorts of problems if the PTO is spinning all the time.

Thank you so much for your help, we stripped components tonight and with a puller removed the flange and popped the woodruff key out then unbolted the seal housing plate. Can you give me a commercial manufacturers name and part no for one of these seals as I only have the military no 500038 and there is virtually nothing left of my original seal.

im sorry I may have misled you into believing that my propshaft for the winch was rotating, this is not so it is stationary what I meant to suggest is that there must be a shaft rotating within the PTO whilst the truck is idling causing my oil to be discharged through the faulty seal once I switch off the oil leak stops ! Thanks once again :-D:-D

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
..............Can you give me a commercial manufacturers name and part no for one of these seals as I only have the military no 500038 and there is virtually nothing left of my original seal.
See this post...
...what I meant to suggest is that there must be a shaft rotating within the PTO whilst the truck is idling causing my oil to be discharged through the faulty seal once I switch off the oil leak stops !
You are correct: when the engine runs and clutch is released/engaged there are gears and shafts spinning and splashing oil around, inside the PTO, too.
On the other hand the max. (static) oil level is about 1/2" below the underside of that output shaft, which explains why it wouldn't leak after the engine was shut off.

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks