• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pucker factor of 10 ++++

scooter01922

Well guys, i have another thing you ought to add to your pretrip checklist. Apparenly some one upstairs likes me. Was crawling around under the new deuce today, attempting to fix the very audible air leak from the fitting into the airpack. If it were not for that leak i can't say i would have been under there to notice the issue. ALL of the bolts securing the back end of the stubby shaft between the tranny and transfer were really loose. One was completely gone, and the tightest had 1/4 inch between the plate and the bolt head. The other 2 were almost completely off, only on by a turn or 2 :shock: I would really have hated to have that let go on my long haul home last week. I'm sure that shaft would have done some major damage if it had come loose. I tightened the 3 bolts that are there to the approx nut busting tightness that should keep them there, just need to find a replacement for the 4th one. Needless to say i darned near crapped myself when i saw that one this A.M. Be safe and check yours today.

scooter01922

The truck isn't registered yet so it isn't going anywhere. I fully intend to get new locknuts, had to tighten the old ones to get it back to its parking space. You wouldn't happen to know the bolt size off the top of your head????

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Wow! Good catch. I spent my share of time under that truck getting ready for Aberdeen, and I missed it. Glad there were no problems.

chuck500cc

I had axel bolts where loose over and over. Lock nuts were no good. Re-seal the axel and some new lock washers and good to go.

Chuck XD Fan

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
scooter01922 said:
You wouldn't happen to know the bolt size off the top of your head????
1/2-20 x 1 3/4.
I had tightened the ones on my junk a few times. When I put the t-case in, they were loose again. I replaced them all,bolts and nuts, including the ones on the ft and rr drive shafts. So far, they have not come loose. I was told by a guy who was told by an ex army maint. guy that this is a real issue.

scooter01922

we must be thinking of dirrerent bolts.......they have to be waaaaaay bigger than 1/4 -20, the nuts are 3/4 and the 1-3/4 length sounds about right

emr

This is one of those very true issues for a deuce, the jack shaft along with every other nut and bolt should be check on a routine basis, I know a guy whos let loose going down the road, cracked open the tranny, transfer case and ripped a hole in the floor, if he was cruising an interstate he may have lost a leg, this forum is a GREAT thing for all the new guys and old ones for the info they need to stay safe for them and everybody else on the road, these are tactical trucks thay require ALOT of maintanence...ALL of the nuts and bolts on the enginge and drive train can and will loosen, grease is cheap also, there should be NO dry moving parts on a tactical truck,Great Job finding that ,it could have been devastating...Oh the guy who this happened to always said he did maintanence, ...well no he didnt, checking the oil and brake fluid is not maintanence...sadly Im affraid most guys just get in and drive em...and no matter who says its been maintaned, there is only one way to know and only one person responcible... the owner'...so one must get under there and grab every U joint and work it get a wrench and tighten every nut and bolt, ive done it a couple of times over the last 10 years and realize it is a life long never ending process with these trucks.randy

scooter01922

i suspect it would, at least keep the bolts from departing the assembly. Think it would hold for a while if the bolts were still through both plates

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think this would be "hi-jacking" your thread, but another huge pucker factor on my '68 USMC M49A2C was discoverd when I replaced the front axle seals some ten years ago.
The nuts holding the spindle (12 ea) were of a very soft grade, as a matter of fact several were stripped of their threads and could be removed without tools!
Cabell did a hardness test on the nuts and they were not much harder than copper as I recall. Should all be grade 8, of course. Cause for this mixup remains a mystery.

Image courtesy of Banshee365.

Attachments

racer-xerols

Wow. Glad I found this thread, getting ready to take ours up on the mountain to put it to work, I'll make sure to check everything over before we hit the road. Good thing they're easy to get under!

DanMartin

Just so we're clear here...can someone either get a snapshot of the bolts in question, or maybe find an exploded diagram and point out the exact bolts?

I really want to run right out and check mine too...but want to make sure I know what I'm looking for exactly.

grobinson2

I was driving down the road at around 30 when my bolts came out of the same place. All doors came open, dash came out, bolts in center of floor board came up and out and it took out the sheet metal support. I now check under the M35 every time I go to move it as just some knee jerk reaction. Needless to say it was quite the ride for a few feet. :)

Thanks,
Glenn

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DanMartin said:
Just so we're clear here...can someone either get a snapshot of the bolts in question, or maybe find an exploded diagram and point out the exact bolts?

I really want to run right out and check mine too...but want to make sure I know what I'm looking for exactly.
Bolts in question are part #2, part #1 is the nut.

Set your parking brake, chock your wheels, and put the transmission and transfer-case in neutral. Get under the truck with a pair of 3/4" box-end wrenches and tighten them with everything you have! Check them often(100-500 miles). If they continue to loosen, change them with new bolts and nuts, and keep checking them often.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks