• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

pullin big pines down with the M52A2

donttreadonmebmg

Wow did I have fun today. :driver:

My neighbor asked me to try and pull down some pines he had around his house. All went well except a few broke off instead of pulling the whole root system out. Oh well he was happy they were down. I got some pics. [thumbzup]
and a video I'm down loading now that I'll post as soon as I finish editing it. :jumpin:
The base of the first tree was a good 18" across I pulled it down and then he cut the top off then I repositioned the truck to pull it all the way out but it ended up being easier just to keep pulling from the original direction I pulled it down. A few yanks and it popped out.

the pics sideways lol oh well.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow. How far up the trunk did you wrap the cable/chain? I did not think a 5 ton had enough umph for this job.

donttreadonmebmg

lol sorry next time.

listen to my five year old daughter it so cute what she says.

I got more I just have to up load them all. :driver:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIVR-6J_xn4[/media]

donttreadonmebmg

OK one more
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k58QG8pAdGA[/media]
again this one broke off at the bottom. Maybe the chain was too high IDK.
these trees were at least 30 some years old. it was fun!:driver:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great pics and great fun.

This is how the previous owner wrecked the winch cable and cable guider: he used the winch cable in stead of the chains, and he got very close to the tree and then gave her **** backwards on a long cable :cookoo:. Would not want to be close when that snapped.

Probably some of the other damage is coming from that action as well, including denting the bumper and maybe even denting the top of the dump bed.

Added a picture later. There should be something like a cable guiding system directly in front of the which. Well it's not. Broken off , splintered is a good description also. In the second picture, arrows show where the cast-iron broke away.

Attachments

Last edited:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not pull forward instead of reverse? Your low range first has more pulling power than reverse.

andystamey

I cannot believe that noone chimed in yet calling you an absolute idiot, you're gonna break your truck, yadda yadda yadda. Hopefully it'll stay that way, nothing wrong with helping out your neighbor. Besides, I have this feeling you had a good time doin it.

ryker725

I believe it is more of a traction issue when the rope is running up the tree. When you are in reverse you have 8 tires solid on the ground while the front 2 are being pulled upward when the rope tightens. If you pull in forward, it would have tendency to give you less traction with the back tires..

Cool videos.. I wish I had your neighbor...

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe it is more of a traction issue when the rope is running up the tree. When you are in reverse you have 8 tires solid on the ground while the front 2 are being pulled upward when the rope tightens. If you pull in forward, it would have tendency to give you less traction with the back tires..

Cool videos.. I wish I had your neighbor...
More likely to tear gears up pulling in reverse if you need traction add weight .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks