• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

pullin big pines down with the M52A2

KsM715

I'm not so sure on that one porkysplace. I know the chunk in the rockwell axle can be spun 180* and run that way in rock crawlers and never heard of anyone stripping the gears. I know RC's arent running anywhere near the weight of a deuce or 5ton.

Edit: I dont know what I was thinking. When you pull the chunk the drive gear comes with it so the pinion gear would still be pushing against the same side of the gear. But........... I've spent the last 30 min or so looking in the TM's about rebuilding the diffs. Now this is from the deuce tm and not the 5ton but I think they are the same only larger. The helical drive gear (what would be the ring gear in a standard ring and pinion) looks like it can be put in either direction and I see no remarks about placing a certain side to one side or the other. So to me I would think that it is designed to take the same amount of torque on either side of the gear.

#5 in the upper portion of the diagram

Attachments

Last edited:

donttreadonmebmg

Why not pull forward instead of reverse? Your low range first has more pulling power than reverse.
Well I was thinking exactly what Ryker 725 said with the chain placed higher than the attachment point on the truck that axle will loose traction when the chain is pulled tight.

As for breaking something, It is my belief that if something did break It must have already been broke. With the amount of tire slip I was getting Nothing in the drive chain should have broken and it didn't.
If I was on dry concrete, in reverse, then yes, maybe something would give but on mud/gravel no way!

And yes I'd do it all again it was fun to run the old beast!

:grd:
I guess I'm one of those guys that buys these types of trucks to show the other half what they can still do. :driver:

I even got to drive right over the whole tree after it had fallen, It was like hitting a big raccoon with a car "buddump" right over it. I thought wow! that was easy. These trucks are very impressive and are very underutilized. I like to know the limits of a vehicle and you can't find those in any manual!

mudguppy

I'm not so sure on that one porkysplace. ... So to me I would think that it is designed to take the same amount of torque on either side of the gear.
the 'coast side' of the beveled ring/pinion gears is the weaker side due to stress concentration on the contact area of the two gear teeth.

but it's likely negligible in most any condition that we could simulate...

donttreadonmebmg

It does sound good. [thumbzup]

Monkeyboyarmy, I still need to get that pipe from you, to fix the exhaust, if you still have some of it. :jumpin: among other things once I get some time to come over. :driver:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Robo McDuff, that winch has seen better days. jerking on a winch is not good! :cookoo:
It's the same with a small excavator we bought of the same guys. They got it cheap to begin with, just used it up without too much attention, care, or money spend on it. When it stops, abandon it. .... or find a sucker who's crazy enough to take them of your hands - which I did :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks