• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pulling one wheel from the duals

chicklin

Okay, this is probably a stupid question, but this is my first "big" truck, so here goes. How do I pull just one wheel from the duals in the back? I'd like to be able to drive the inner tire up on a board and pull the outer wheel. I see there are lug nuts and Budd caps, what is the purpose of each. I don't want to loosen the inner wheel to replace the outer one, if this is even possible.

Help a dummy out!

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just drive it on the blocks, and remove the outer, 1&1/2" nut. Remember! Left side is left hand threads & right side is right hand threads - it even says that on the fasteners. Best to familiarize your self with the TM. Your going to find those lugs are on there "TIGHT". They need to go back on the same way too.

Lee in Alaska

chicklin

Re: RE: Pulling one wheel from the duals

rosco said:
Just drive it on the blocks, and remove the outer, 1&1/2" nut. Remember! Left side is left hand threads & right side is right hand threads - it even says that on the fasteners. Best to familiarize your self with the TM. Your going to find those lugs are on there "TIGHT". They need to go back on the same way too.

Lee in Alaska
So, what does the Budd cap do? Does it hold the inner wheel on? I guess it will probably make more sense when I pull off the outer one. I'll check the TM, I didn't see this in there, but maybe I missed it.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Pulling one wheel from the duals

That square stud sticking out, is another lug. Yes, it holds the inner wheel in place!

Lee in Alaska

dm22630

Here is how the rear wheels are held on:

Hub has standard deuce wheel studs
Inner wheel goes on & then the "budcaps" screw directly on the studs & hold the inner tire on
Outer wheel goes on & then held by lugnuts on the "budcaps"

So it is a 3 part process

Budcaps are 13/16 SQUARE DRIVE (you will need to go to a big truck shop to get that socket)

Lugs (front & rear) are 1 1/2" 6 point ---> GET A DEEPWELL SOCKET! Standard can only remove the front lugs!

chicklin

Thanks for all the info, guys. I got my nuts off just fine. :) My truck came with the tire tools and a 3-ton jack, so I had everything I needed. I just had to stand on the straight bar to break them loose. I used the same method to put them back on and do the final tightening. I'm guessing that's probably close enough to the correct torque. It all made a lot more sense once I had it all apart.

One interesting thing was that there was, what I assume to be, anti-seize grease all over the studs. It was kind of a dry, gray metallic lubricant. It made things a lot easier to get on and off.

54reo

Sounds like anti-seize...

Now you've done it!

*awaiting the coming anti-seize vs. no anti-seize debate*

steelandcanvas

Re: RE: Re: RE: Pulling one wheel from the duals

54reo said:

Now you've done it!

Oh No! Not this again! :roll: Everyone to the shelter! There's a storm coming!

chicklin

Re: RE: Re: RE: Pulling one wheel from the duals

54reo said:

Now you've done it!

That's what I was afraid of :)

I figure if the military put it on there, who am I to argue? This thing may only get a couple hundred miles a year on it (if that), so I'm not too worried about it. I had to jump on the straight bar to loosen them up, I don't think they're going to fly off all of a sudden.

steelandcanvas

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Pulling one wheel from the duals

By the way Chicklin, the only "stupid" question is the one that isn't asked. Besides, on the web site you can't hear people say "what a Dufus".

TommyG45

My lug nuts are still laughing at me. I used the wrench and bar (throw in one jackstand) that came with the deuce and ended up bending the bar by using my weight on it. Very frustraing. These things are unreal. (front tires)

Yes, truning them the correct way - left hand and right hand threads

I can't tell if there is anti-sieze on there or not, but I know it's going on when I get those damn things off. I got the torque multiplier wrench from Chip, I am going to give that a try next.

For all of us new guys out there, make sure you have the right equipment and the knowledge to get these tires off incase you get a flat on th road. These damn things are no joke. If you think your going to change a flat in nothing flat, your going to need a box of tissues to wipe the tears from your eyes.

Tommy

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial

Everything here is right on. Been there done that.I know how TommyG feels . Learned the hard way on L & R while sitting on the side of I-40. aua . I can only add I`d like to see/hear you get a little heavier jack. John had a very good point too.

spentshell

Wish I had the anti-sieze, so far I have destroyed two breaker bars with a five foot cheater.Soaking, tapping, soaking and nothin. What tool can withstand the force to break them free. Last thing anyone needs is this problem on the side of the road.

dm22630

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Pulling one wheel from the duals

TommyG45 said:
For all of us new guys out there, make sure you have the right equipment and the knowledge to get these tires off incase you get a flat on th road. These dang things are no joke. If you think your going to change a flat in nothing flat, your going to need a box of tissues to wipe the tears from your eyes. Tommy

I change tires on my deuces in under 15 minutes each....BY MYSELF! That includes jacking up the truck, dropping the spare, change tires, remove jack & put spare back.

I have a 20 ton air-bottle jack, and I run my 1/2" ingersol-rand impact wrench off of the emergency air line. It is EXTREMELY easy!

Air-bottle jack - $80 (eBay)
Impact wrench - $140 (Lowes)
Air line - $12 (lowes)
Glad hand adapter - $6 (napa)
Misc air fittings - $20 (Lowes)
1 1/2" impact socket - $20 (napa)
13/16 impact budd socket - $20 (napa)
Not killing myself changing a tire.......PRICELESS! :mrgreen:

**** It takes MOST of that 15 minutes to let the deuce build up air pressure between lugnuts! ****

Also.....you really should change a tire in the comfort of your driveway! That way you wont be lost on the side of the road with no cell reception! 2cents

beaubeau

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Pulling one wheel from the duals

I changed about 24 tires and wheels with no impack wrench this week. I did lose One nut, somewhere in Lower left Abdowmen!!

TommyG45

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Pulling one wheel from the duals

dm22630 said:
TommyG45 said:
For all of us new guys out there, make sure you have the right equipment and the knowledge to get these tires off incase you get a flat on th road. These dang things are no joke. If you think your going to change a flat in nothing flat, your going to need a box of tissues to wipe the tears from your eyes. Tommy

I change tires on my deuces in under 15 minutes each....BY MYSELF! That includes jacking up the truck, dropping the spare, change tires, remove jack & put spare back.

I have a 20 ton air-bottle jack, and I run my 1/2" ingersol-rand impact wrench off of the emergency air line. It is EXTREMELY easy!

Air-bottle jack - $80 (eBay)
Impact wrench - $140 (Lowes)
Air line - $12 (lowes)
Glad hand adapter - $6 (napa)
Misc air fittings - $20 (Lowes)
1 1/2" impact socket - $20 (napa)
13/16 impact budd socket - $20 (napa)
Not killing myself changing a tire.......PRICELESS! :mrgreen:

**** It takes MOST of that 15 minutes to let the deuce build up air pressure between lugnuts! ****

Also.....you really should change a tire in the comfort of your driveway! That way you wont be lost on the side of the road with no cell reception! 2cents
I have the exact same set up, perhaps once the tires have been removed once before and anti-sieze applied, this may work for me. Right now I am toying with the idea of calling in to a professional and bring some serious tools.

The air jack is sweet, it's a 20 ton and works like a charm. All I am saying is make sure you know how to do this, and make sure it can be done prior to hitting the road. For the new guys, I would even suggest the removal of each of the tires and apply the anti-sieze.

The one tire you didn't take off when it was put on with 8 billion pounds of torque will be the one that you will need to change if it goes flat on the road.

As a side note, make sure you carry blocks incase you can't get a good surface to jack from when your on the side of the road.

Tommy

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Pulling one wheel from the duals

I hate to support China, I really do! In this case however, I don't have enough credit to purchase a US made 1" impact. I forced myself to go to China Freight and buy one of their 1" impacts. It seems to knock off the nuts in short order but gets heavy after a while. The China Freight Earth Quake 1/2" impact does well too. Before this I have found myself arranging a jack under the breaker bar handle and jacking it up against the weight of the truck to break it loose. Sidebar, the super big wrenches that they sell at China Freight, they suck. It hurts wen you're giving them all the hell you have and the just break.