• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Purchased a Deuce ... how do title?

colsoncj

Well, so much for having the guy help with the SF-97. Should have saw that coming. Good news, I may have figured out another way. Will know for sure when all the paperwork is done and title comes back in about a month or two.

destroked

Well, so much for having the guy help with the SF-97. Should have saw that coming. Good news, I may have figured out another way. Will know for sure when all the paperwork is done and title comes back in about a month or two.

I went through a title skipping issue with a dealer a few years back. I found out the state attorney was happy to help "remind" the dealer of their error. Funny how quickly the title discrepancy was remedied by the dealer when the question of tax fraud came into the issue. It took me a total of 30 minutes of time and effort to copy/fax/email my correspondence with the dealer and the various documents to the state attorney.

Dealers regardless of the state they are operating in have accountability, that's the whole point of their license, no matter how crooked and sneaky they try to be. Few states are going to be happy to find out you bought a vehicle and they did not receive their pound of flesh from the dealer for title fees, tax and other related revenue.

I am agree with the porcupine remark above, this however requires no court time on your part, you are not approaching this from a civil angle, you are reporting misconduct, BIG difference in the effort and funds you have to shell out to get satisfasction.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
chack with the Arkansas Attorney general, bet a DEALER can't sell without a title, if he brought a bunch of trucks for resale, that is a dealer, the state is loosing money

I would check with the ARKANSAS DMV, if a title or other PROOF of ownership is required to sell a vehicle.

Even if things work out for you, I would still CONTRACT the state about him just to maybe prevent this from happening to the next guy, because the next guy MIGHT NOT be able to do a end run

Who did you buy the truck from??????

Last edited:

1redgmc

Can you share with us what other way you may have figured out to get a title? This is a hot topic these days - not just for MV owners, but many others.

colsoncj

I'll be happy to share... I want to make sure it works before I waste other people's time. but as soon as I'm sure, I'll be posting a detailed description of how I did it.

mark salanco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just some food for thought, I was talking to my lawyer the other day that happened to own several Duces, he said that you don’t need a title or tags on a military truck because it’s still government property. You just need to have insurance on it. Just saying

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Just some food for thought, I was talking to my lawyer the other day that happened to own several Duces, he said that you don’t need a title or tags on a military truck because it’s still government property. You just need to have insurance on it. Just saying
Black print is hard to read on a OD back ground.

Are you SURE he is REAL lawyer, not a WANTA-BE that stays up all night watching PERRY MASION reruns, real or not,
I might think about getting a DIFFERENT LAWYER, that is what the SF-97 is, a transfer of ownership from the GOVERNMENT, the ONLY time what he said is TRUE is if a fire dept., ect. got it, when the vehicle is turned back and goes though GSA and sold, a SF-97 goes with it to the buyer

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, what dealer sold you a truck with no tiltle and won't help you with the title?

Mark, that is very bad advice, I hope you didn't pay for it.

motorolanut

lawyer

I suggest taking that Lawyer to traffic court with you to dispute the citation of the operation of a non licensed motor vehicle on a public highway you will receive with great pleasure from the first Leo that pulls you over.[thumbzup]

Then after you explains to the magistrate or judge how you are not a member of the US Military but your lawyer stated the vehicle still belongs to the US Government, you both might even receive a free all inclusive resort 7 day stay in the state mental hospital....LMAO Just Kidding

Also most municipalities (city govts.) fire departments still have their vehicles registered with DMV and city govt plates assigned to that vehicle. This coincides with insurance and state inspection stickers as well.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Black print is hard to read on a OD back ground.

Are you SURE he is REAL lawyer, not a WANTA-BE that stays up all night watching PERRY MASION reruns, real or not,
I might think about getting a DIFFERENT LAWYER, that is what the SF-97 is, a transfer of ownership from the GOVERNMENT, the ONLY time what he said is TRUE is if a fire dept., ect. got it, when the vehicle is turned back and goes though GSA and sold, a SF-97 goes with it to the buyer
:ditto:

Mark, that is very bad advice, I hope you didn't pay for it.
and :ditto:

colsoncj

Yes, I did get a title. I filed for a declatory judgement of ownership with the circuit court of my county. With the filing, I had to include a notorized statement of why the vehicle had no title, where I got it from, and any info of the history of the vehicle. I also had to include a bill of sale, a letter from the state DMV that a vehicle with the same vin has never been titled or registered in any state the vehicle has been in. Finally I had to have the vehicle inspected by the highway patrol to verify the VIN and verify it has not been stolen. After filing the paperwork with the court, they awarded me the ability to get a title about a month later. Took that paperwork from the court to the local license office, and applied for a new title with no issues. Two weeks after that, I had a crisp new title for my duece arrive in the mail.

1redgmc

Sounds like a lot of work, but then again - my summary below may sound the same to some.

When I finally figured out the scam being run by the title service - it was MUCH, MUCH easier to do all of this myself. The actual TIME I spent on it was less than three hours combined, and the only "wait" was the round trip for the paperwork from Vermont...

1. Go online to the Vermont DMV website and complete the necessary form(s).
2. Prepare your package to mail to VT to include your Bill of Sale and a check for the fees from the online schedule
3. About 7-10 business days later, you'll receive a valid VT plate and a registration (good for one year)
4. I then took the VT registration to WV DMV, obtained an application for title - then the only other thing I had to do was get any LEO to do a VIN verification
5. Took completed forms back to WV DMV for processing

Nicest thing was that they were slow that day and offered to print my title there. What more could you ask for?

[thumbzup]

I'm glad you finally obtained your title!

jamawieb

To bad you don't live in Tennessee, I bought my deuce from a dealer, with no title. Went to the DMV and had to do 3 things.
1. Notarized bill of sell
2. Return receipt of certified letter to dealer asking why he could not supply a title.
3. Have a police officer verify the Serial #.
The longest part was waiting on the certified letter receipt to return in the mail. I just received my title Saturday, only took a week or so to get it backl.:driver: