• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Push button light switch

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was flipping through an old issue of MVM today and there was an article on the m35a3s. It said the A3 had a push button light switch that wouldn't work on a A2. My m35a2c came with a push button and it seems to work fine. What's the deal? I haven't really figured out how to work it yet though. I just keep pushing buttons until the lights I want come on.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If the article said it wouldn't work, it was wrong. They are the new fangled gizmos that lots of people want. I like the simplicity of the 3 lever switch. You can swap it out if you like, or keep it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After reading the article again I may be wrong. The article said "The old switch ( 3 Lever) won't work in a A3, even though they fit the same hole". It dosen't say anything about the push button not working in the A2.

Jones

The early push button switches had problems and occasionally set themselves on fire.
The biggest problem we ran into was when the switches were installed and the ground wire was not connected first, as there's a little mini-computer inside that's static sensitive. I suggest carrying a three-lever for a back-up as the push button switches have no get-me-home feature
Once installed and initialized by pushing any button, they work by pressing the mode you want then pressing the enter button within five seconds. The keys are back-lghted amber and there's a blue indicator light on each button that's lit when that mode is on. To turn everything off push the all off button followed by enter and after about 20 seconds of delay it turns itself off.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, a couple of years back I got a really good deal on one of the pushbutton switches so I decided to try it in the tractor. Installation was a breeze and its worked flawlessly. When I decided to sell the tractor I took the pushbutton out and put a 3 lever in since I have many. While driving to the store the other day I realized that although I'm not much into that gimmick stuff and high tech, I really miss that switch. Looks like it will find it's way back into the new dropside.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Push button light switch

nattieleather said:
The push button switch is just a modern replacement for the three lever switch....which is 50 year old technology.
The age of the technology is not material, what about constant velocty joints, stick shift and steering wheels. :)

It took a lot more brain power to design the 3-lever switch than the push button one, I respect that. The 3-lever switch does it all, why change it?

Question, while we are on the subject, since the switching is done with solid state electronics, what is the actual voltage seen at the light fixtures? Can someone measure it, it would be interesting to see how close to 28 volts it is.

EO2NMCB

RE: Re: RE: Push button light switch

Last time we had m923s I think that is what they were{out of the motor pool}, all had the push button switch. What a pain in the a@% in the dark, using a cig lighter to see what button to use. The 3-lever switch can be turned on in the dark with your eyes closed.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Push button light switch

What a pain in the a@% in the dark, using a cig lighter to see what button to use.
If you needed a lighter, your switch was broken. The very first touch backlights the keypad. Don't get me wrong, I'm not badmouthing the 3 lever, but the pushbutton is easy to operate with your eyes closed. I can operate the 3 lever with one hand but I've seen folks who couldn't. You don't need 2 hands for the pushbutton at all. Instead of a lock lever it has an enter button. I have both and both are just fine.

halftrack

OK, my turn.

I dislike the pushbutton switches a lot. They are a pain to feel in the dark. Also, I had problems where if you just touch the enter button once, all the buttons light up. During the night this is OK, however, during the day if it is on you cannot see it lite up. This led to a drained battery a couple of times. Someone metioned that they turn off by themselves but I could hit mine one time and light all the buttons on the switch and come back several hours later and they are still on. I can easily feel and turn on the 3 lever switch with one hand while driving. Can't do that with the new ones.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
bjorn, i can tell you without checking that there is no voltage drop accross the switch as there is no heat sink in the unit. i also know that the military brains that specced this switch neglected to request that it be static proof, so it is not. it fact it is very sensitive to static until it is installed, then it is ok. if anything is on, there is a blue led lit, very easy to see in daylight.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
m-35tom said:
bjorn, i can tell you without checking that there is no voltage drop accross the switch as there is no heat sink in the unit. i also know that the military brains that specced this switch neglected to request that it be static proof, so it is not. it fact it is very sensitive to static until it is installed, then it is ok. if anything is on, there is a blue led lit, very easy to see in daylight.
Okay Tom, thing is that making something static proof is such an obvious requirement for anyone working with CMOS circuitry that it shouldn't need to be spec'ed.
The lack of heatsinks argument sounds right, thanks.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the switch itself will not drain the battery, you have to leave some lights on to do that. mine is on in the service brake position all the time.

sermis

When the back light stays on it will drain the battery. I had one installed and also left it in the brake position. Looked in the truck after a couple days and saw the back light on. Tried to start the truck and battery was too week to turn it over. After the second time I pulled the switch out and went back to the three lever. Have not had the problem again, well when I left the blinker on but that was my fault.

halftrack

Exactly Sermis, they can keep the "new" technology switch. The "headlights" or any other lights externally of the switch were not left on. The light (not the blue one) that is on when you press the middle button will stay on if you do not press the "all off" twice and it WILL drain you battery. It did not just turn itself off.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the back lighting will never run the battery down. you have some other problem. the leds that light the switch should be able to be on for months at a time with no measureable effect on the batteries. as to finding it in the dark it is no different than the lever switch, you know where it is, just push any button and the back light comes on. some people like them, some dislike them, but it comes down to personal preference. they can have problems but so can the lever switch. i cannot tell you how many of them i have replaced because they failed. i have also rerpaired an electronic switch because it failed.

alphadeltaromeo

I'm more than willing to have one of you that doesn't like their new style light switch send it my way...I'd love one :) Would be a fantastic Christmas gift...purday please :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks