• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Push button light switch

Csm Davis

I know they had a recall on the early pushbutton switches somebody may know more about this. Also I have noticed that most of the trucks I see with them on base have led lights which would be a lot less amperage draw on the switches. also noticed that they will kill the batteries on trucks that sit long times, the three lever switches are better for older trucks I believe. 2cents

saddamsnightmare

February 23rd, 2012.

I always love the commentaries on the 3 lever versus the Tacom headlight switches, on here, it is always a hoot. It comes down to personal preference, some people like dinosaurs, some don't. I prefer being able to touch any swicth in the dark and have the panel light up for selection.... It's that easy. A three lever is a PITA considering you have to find it and then remember the positions in the dark. Yes, I've had both, but "Saddam's Nightmare" has the Tacom switch. The Germans on the Unimog used a one lever switch to do what our three levers do, a much more elegant system to say the least and less difficult to work in the dark. They also used white gauge lights, much easier to read in the dark. It seems that the U.S.military vehicle command just can't figure out that the Germans have a better series of vehicles and get with it.... We have to keep coming up with second class machines like the HMMWV when we could have Unimogs and G series.....:popcorn: BUT, if your truck does burn down, that's what insurance is for, to get a better truck. Most of the US trucks I have seen with 40-50 year old harnesses look like dirt, the Unimog used a much better grade of insulation, my wiring looks and behaves like new..... Better grade PVC I guess...

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My experience is, no matter how good you ground it, some push button switches will go into melt down mode from time to time.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I again have to say I love mine-going on 6+ years. (and several thousand miles later):driver:

Welder Sam

My experience is, no matter how good you ground it, some push button switches will go into melt down mode from time to time.
Anything and everything will fail. Thats just a fact. EVERYTHING DIES.. I run 3 trucks with push button switches and leds. No extra mods. Everything works perfect. Before and after leds. I agree with the earlier post, its preferance. Ya get a bad unit in everything, nothing is perfect. Above all, enjoy the hobby folks!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anything and everything will fail. Thats just a fact. EVERYTHING DIES.. I run 3 trucks with push button switches and leds. No extra mods. Everything works perfect. Before and after leds. I agree with the earlier post, its preferance. Ya get a bad unit in everything, nothing is perfect. Above all, enjoy the hobby folks!
True. If it just failed I'd just count it either bad luck or it was just worn out. When you have flames coming out from under the dash while your driving your truck is a different story. I'm not worried about installing another one and it failing. I'm worried about it burning the truck down. I will concede that there's not a abundance of flammable material under the dash so it may just burn itself out sparing the truck itself.

If you like the push button great (I liked mine while it lasted). I'm just letting it be known that even if it is installed correctly there have been several documented cases of the switch catching fire. I do like the switch over the three lever as far a function but for me personally it's not worth the fire risk

Colcolombo

Push button M-Series Light Switch

Regarding the push button light switches and the problems mentioned, I am quoting a paragraph regarding these switches from OliveDrab.com:

"There were reports that early production of the pushbutton switch had problems and those units were not reliable. Get a guarantee from any vendor that you will receive a unit from newer production. By 2005 those problems seemed to be solved"

The manufacturer is Advanced Input Devices (Cage code 59666) P/N 9375-00117.

Hope this helps.

Colcolombo

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks