• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

putting an auto in a m35

tm america

be careful with that statement - the few 545s that i've come across are all SAE2 patterns and the info on this site says the multi is SAE3.
Either way the multi has a sae3 bell with a sae 3 to sae 2 adapter.But you would still come up short on a flywheel.. I'm sure an adapter could be made pretty easy.

kc5mzd

So the suspense is just to much for me...
Does the SAE standard specify the bolt pattern for the flywheel?
Could it just be a matter of getting a flywheel with the proper number of teeth for the starter.
My foggy memory seems to recal something about the SAE standard even including the starter bolt pattern.. but still somewhat foggy...

tm america

Not sure if SAE3 or 2 applys to the crankshaft bolt pattern and depth..It would be easy to check against another motor. I would think there's a good chance it might ..Since the whole whole idea of standardizing bellhousings would be to make different combos easier.Even if the flywheel bolt pattern is the same you would probably need a spacer to make up for the SAE3 to SAE 2 adapter

May sound like a dumb question, but how do you run a stanard PTO off an auto trans? Don't you need to be able to operate the clutch?

So that being the case would you also have to upgrade your PTO or is there an auto trans that is setup for this?

kc5mzd

I was thinking - get the flywheel that fits the trans. If the crankshaft bolt pattern is the same...

You have to get a trans with a pto and use that setup. I doubt the pto gears would match up if you just tried to move the pto from a standard to automatic.

Reguardless it would be a lot of work to get everything just right.

I am going another route to get rid of the manual trans. I got a large DC motor and will hook it directly to the driveshaft on the transfer case. Yes I already know I am crazy. I live about 1 mile from Walmart and when I am home most of my trips are less than 3 miles round trip.
I just got to try it...
Can't be as hard or expensive as swaping to an auto...

Last edited:

ODdave

be careful with that statement - the few 545s that i've come across are all SAE2 patterns and the info on this site says the multi is SAE3.
Never seen a #2 545. all of the ones i have come across are #3. The deuce has a #2 belhousing with an adapter ring to make it fit the SMALLER #3.

As for the flywheel, you should be able to make one to fit. The ring gear should be able to be removed from the original flywheel.

Last edited: