• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pyrometer install

reloader64

I bought an inexpensive pyrometer and boost gauge combination. The pyrometer seemed to work ok, but the boost gauge failed. I bought Autometer gauges and have never had an issue.

Scott

DaneGer21

I went with GlowShift.

I made offers of…

$46 for the boost(with tax $50 total)
$75 for the EGT(with tax $80 total)

Seller accepted both offers. I change the colors to red to match the dash lights. Both come with everything needed for install.

Attachments

Last edited:

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where does everyone hook up their boost?
What is the max limit boost for a LDT465-1D?

When/why is it necessary/recommended to install a boost indicator? EGT I get.

Considering the majority of the LDT motor is the same as the LDS, there would seem to be little concern in over boosting an LDT, within reason.
What am I missing/not getting?

DaneGer21

Where does everyone hook up their boost?
What is the max limit boost for a LDT465-1D?

When/why is it necessary/recommended to install a boost indicator? EGT I get.

Considering the majority of the LDT motor is the same as the LDS, there would seem to be little concern in over boosting an LDT, within reason.
What am I missing/not getting?
I’ve had my fuel turned up at one point where I could boost around 20psi or higher (if I wanted) and my egt’s hadn’t climbed to high yet to be concerned with heat, but I was concerned about the boost popping a head gasket OR tossing a rod.

As for where I hooked my boost line, there is a small 1/8” plug on the intake manifold elbow.

Attachments

Last edited:

DaneGer21

Here’s mine. A cheapo dual gauge pod. Drilled two holes, and ran a zip tie through them and around the column haha

Attachments

banditt1979

I decided on a hewitt.

Started to take things apart thinking I would remove the turbo but the more I look at it the more I think I will break all the bolts attaching it to the manifold. That would be my luck so I would like to do it on the engine while running. Anyone have any advice/warnings/stories? :cool:

DaneGer21

I decided on a hewitt.

Started to take things apart thinking I would remove the turbo but the more I look at it the more I think I will break all the bolts attaching it to the manifold. That would be my luck so I would like to do it on the engine while running. Anyone have any advice/warnings/stories? :cool:
Pricey little gauges! Nice!

Start it up, drill, and tap away. Wear some safety glasses because debris will fly.

Shooter308

I went with a bracket and gauge through thosemilitaryguys. Uses a auber 1813 digital gauge. I like the clean look of it, and has accessory switches available if you want. Has a warning light and can wire them for an audible alarm. I don't have much of an issue being able to monitor them where they are located.

Attachments

18operator

[/QUOTE]
I took the turbo off. PB blaster and a little bit of heat. Nothing broke. I was just worried about all the vibration from the running motor trying to drill and tap those holes. But it also looked like a previous owner may have had the turbo off. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

banditt1979

So I started drilling a little bit before starting the engine just to get a good mark on the manifold. Started it up and finished drilling the rest and it went fine. A little nerve racking drilling on a running engine! For tapping I turned off the engine, gooped up a bunch of bearing grease on the tap and took my time, no problem there. After it was tapped deep enough I started the engine and let it run for a few minutes to make sure all the metal shavings and grease were blown out. Installed the thermocouple, ran the wires into the cab and zip tied it all down. Not a bad job at all, about an hour and a half total. Next I'll have a bracket for the gauge made up at work out of ACM panel and paint it OD green to match the interior.
20220906_183422.jpg20220906_183500.jpg20220906_191325.jpg20220906_191317.jpg

There's no grommet at the firewall hole where the engine tach cable runs through, so I ran a 2" piece of 1/4" clear tubing over the wires to prevent chafing. At some point I will get a grommet and cut it to go in the hole.

banditt1979

I’ve had my fuel turned up at one point where I could boost around 20psi or higher (if I wanted) and my egt’s hadn’t climbed to high yet to be concerned with heat, but I was concerned about the boost popping a head gasket OR tossing a rod.

As for where I hooked my boost line, there is a small 1/8” plug on the intake manifold elbow.
I think I just found my next project! Having the two gauges together should make for some good info for diagnostics.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks