• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pyrometer install

reloader64

I bought an inexpensive pyrometer and boost gauge combination. The pyrometer seemed to work ok, but the boost gauge failed. I bought Autometer gauges and have never had an issue.

Scott

DaneGer21

I went with GlowShift.

I made offers of…

$46 for the boost(with tax $50 total)
$75 for the EGT(with tax $80 total)

Seller accepted both offers. I change the colors to red to match the dash lights. Both come with everything needed for install.

Attachments

Last edited:

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where does everyone hook up their boost?
What is the max limit boost for a LDT465-1D?

When/why is it necessary/recommended to install a boost indicator? EGT I get.

Considering the majority of the LDT motor is the same as the LDS, there would seem to be little concern in over boosting an LDT, within reason.
What am I missing/not getting?

DaneGer21

Where does everyone hook up their boost?
What is the max limit boost for a LDT465-1D?

When/why is it necessary/recommended to install a boost indicator? EGT I get.

Considering the majority of the LDT motor is the same as the LDS, there would seem to be little concern in over boosting an LDT, within reason.
What am I missing/not getting?
I’ve had my fuel turned up at one point where I could boost around 20psi or higher (if I wanted) and my egt’s hadn’t climbed to high yet to be concerned with heat, but I was concerned about the boost popping a head gasket OR tossing a rod.

As for where I hooked my boost line, there is a small 1/8” plug on the intake manifold elbow.

Attachments

Last edited:

DaneGer21

Here’s mine. A cheapo dual gauge pod. Drilled two holes, and ran a zip tie through them and around the column haha

Attachments

banditt1979

I decided on a hewitt.

Started to take things apart thinking I would remove the turbo but the more I look at it the more I think I will break all the bolts attaching it to the manifold. That would be my luck so I would like to do it on the engine while running. Anyone have any advice/warnings/stories? :cool:

DaneGer21

I decided on a hewitt.

Started to take things apart thinking I would remove the turbo but the more I look at it the more I think I will break all the bolts attaching it to the manifold. That would be my luck so I would like to do it on the engine while running. Anyone have any advice/warnings/stories? :cool:
Pricey little gauges! Nice!

Start it up, drill, and tap away. Wear some safety glasses because debris will fly.

Shooter308

I went with a bracket and gauge through thosemilitaryguys. Uses a auber 1813 digital gauge. I like the clean look of it, and has accessory switches available if you want. Has a warning light and can wire them for an audible alarm. I don't have much of an issue being able to monitor them where they are located.

Attachments

18operator

[/QUOTE]
I took the turbo off. PB blaster and a little bit of heat. Nothing broke. I was just worried about all the vibration from the running motor trying to drill and tap those holes. But it also looked like a previous owner may have had the turbo off. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

banditt1979

So I started drilling a little bit before starting the engine just to get a good mark on the manifold. Started it up and finished drilling the rest and it went fine. A little nerve racking drilling on a running engine! For tapping I turned off the engine, gooped up a bunch of bearing grease on the tap and took my time, no problem there. After it was tapped deep enough I started the engine and let it run for a few minutes to make sure all the metal shavings and grease were blown out. Installed the thermocouple, ran the wires into the cab and zip tied it all down. Not a bad job at all, about an hour and a half total. Next I'll have a bracket for the gauge made up at work out of ACM panel and paint it OD green to match the interior.
20220906_183422.jpg20220906_183500.jpg20220906_191325.jpg20220906_191317.jpg

There's no grommet at the firewall hole where the engine tach cable runs through, so I ran a 2" piece of 1/4" clear tubing over the wires to prevent chafing. At some point I will get a grommet and cut it to go in the hole.

banditt1979

I’ve had my fuel turned up at one point where I could boost around 20psi or higher (if I wanted) and my egt’s hadn’t climbed to high yet to be concerned with heat, but I was concerned about the boost popping a head gasket OR tossing a rod.

As for where I hooked my boost line, there is a small 1/8” plug on the intake manifold elbow.
I think I just found my next project! Having the two gauges together should make for some good info for diagnostics.