• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Qestioned GL as to source of their info.

AMX

My question to GL was (I am looking at ##event and ###lo, the desription lists a cracked head on the engine. I would like to know the source this information).
This was the reply.
(Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, Government Liquidation (GL) cannot respond to any request concerning the condition of material on our website. The description, including Condition Codes, given on the Lot Details page is the only source of information available to Government Liquidation regarding condition. GL does not receive maintenance records or any other details that would qualify us to make any determination of condition. Government Liquidation releases all of the information that we are supplied concerning this lot on the Lot Description Page.)

Does anyone here know where/how they get the information in the listing?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess that's why you need to look at the vehicle in question. The GL dopes are not mechanics and probably don't know the valve cover from the oil pan. Maybe their "cracked head" is a leaking valve cover or one of the water rail hoses leaking and they THINK it is a head gasket cause the side of the engine is wet with oil or coolant.

jollyroger

Each GL location has operators. Those operators supply a description and photos of the item up for auction. Since each location has a different operator the descriptions and photos provided are somewhat subjective. This also means the pictures and description of condition are not standardized throughout the GL system. So you may or may not get an accurate description of loss or damage to an item.

This is why previewing an item is very important. If you look it over top to bottom, front to back then you know for sure what you are looking at and the damage or missing parts.

If you don't preview you just have to take a chance and hope the description of the item was decently accurate.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The guy listing the truck came up with the description.

How?

Who knows. Maybe he is an ASE Master Tech with a diesel certification and he verified the leak is a cracked head.

Maybe he saw coolant underneath the truck and guessed.

Maybe he has a friend who wants to bid and he said it has a cracked head to hold down the prices (doubtful-I know this GL rep and he wouldn't do that).

Want the truth? Bid as if it's a parts truck. Anything more and you are overpaying. Period.

Because there is no accurate way to know what you are bidding on until you get it home and do all the service to it and drive it.

It still astonishes me to think people put ANY kind of faith in the descriptions of GL auctions. These people are in business to make money, not accurately describe vehicles. The contract you sign more or less surrenders all your legal rights so they can tell you it has a flux capacitor in the bed if they want to and if you bid it up to $88,000, then it's all on you pal.

jollyroger

I'm still looking for the M-35 that runs on the Mr. Fusion unit myself. Cause with that I just KNOW I can hit 88 MPH. :beer:

Dad and I were just looking at a generator that had been up for auction several times. The description was confusing because it had several pictures of "other" generators as well. So we went and previewed it. It was a good generator. We found out it had been for sale a couple of times. That it sold the last time and the guy never picked up the merchandise. Not sure why.

Previewing made us confident the merchandise was what it was described as.

And it ended up being the most expensive generator we were looking at on GL that day. And no we did not buy it.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You must have read it wrong... It says that the engine was last worked on by a crack head.
Now that's funny......I don't care who you are.roflrofl

As stated above....with GL everything that you bid on is a crap shoot....even if you preview it and think it's the cream of the crop....there can be hidden damage or missing parts (some that go missing while you are waiting to pick it up).

And, again as stated above, the GL lawyers have pretty much absolved them of anything that happens.

I have bought a lot of vehicles and other stuff from GL.....most of my experiences have been positive....especially when picking up stuff at the local places.

Most of my issues have been with the anal orifices out in Arizona...specifically the people in charge (not the girls in the office that do go the extra mile to help) who supposedly are there to project a helpful and professional image (they do not).

They do not want to resolve problems that are of their own making (admit nothing, make counter accusations), especially with payment issues. They don't care because they can always sell the items again after locking the account of someone they have screwed.

The only resolution is for the contract to be awarded to some other contractor......this could be a double edged sword since someone worse could get it.

As for that happening I would not look for it. My guess is that the contract was written just for Govenment Liquidation by someone in the DRMO that stood to make a bundle off of it. Insider information is a given in these situations.

Bottom line is.......ya pays your money and ya takes your chances.

wikallen

Everything I have came with a Vehicle Classification Inspection document. There the unit inspector lists all that is wrong and the cost of parts and labor to repair, and final reason for turn-in. Now Iowa might be different, as there is not a G/L employee there, but this could be where G/L gets there information from.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I bid, and I usually don't, I bid with the intention that I might have to tap my cache of canned engines to get the truck running. If it runs then thats a plus.

mistaken1

I'm still looking for the M-35 that runs on the Mr. Fusion unit myself. Cause with that I just KNOW I can hit 88 MPH. :beer:

Dad and I were just looking at a generator that had been up for auction several times. The description was confusing because it had several pictures of "other" generators as well. So we went and previewed it. It was a good generator. We found out it had been for sale a couple of times. That it sold the last time and the guy never picked up the merchandise. Not sure why.

Previewing made us confident the merchandise was what it was described as.

And it ended up being the most expensive generator we were looking at on GL that day. And no we did not buy it.
Maybe it was the first winner who forgot to pick it up who was trying to buy it a second time and drove the price up in the process?

paulfarber

How can you expect a GL employee to be 100% accurate in the item description? They sell M35s and typewriters and everything in between. Can YOU list the exact defect of every item (all of which you never have seen before) first time with 100% accuracy?

Just about every truck is at GL with a condition code of 'uneconomical to repair', or scrap.

You are buying a used vehicle with NO GUARANTEE. Many people get lucky, some people get exactly what they paid for *hoping* its a runner.

Don't hate on the GL Lot guys. Most people here on SS have such a ridiculously high expectations that GL should wash/wax/deliver a perfect truck with a full tank of diesel to their home address, then complain because there are dead bugs on the windshield.

Bid on a truck with the expectation that you will have to recondition it.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The GL guys I know writes/notes what they see, I do know a couple of times he has been told to with hold very pertinent information so as not to dampen the bidding!

G-Force

AMX,
If you look at the pic of that truck the shackles are missing off the front of it.
This usually means it was towed in to the site. USUALLY........
Also, the cab roof is dented in.....otherwise, it looks like a clean truck so even if it does have head probs it still would be worth it IMO

ranchhopper

Everything I have came with a Vehicle Classification Inspection document. There the unit inspector lists all that is wrong and the cost of parts and labor to repair, and final reason for turn-in. Now Iowa might be different, as there is not a G/L employee there, but this could be where G/L gets there information from.
I have bought many trucks with the turn in sheet in the truck and some things listed were in the description when it was lotted. I was contemplating tossing in a bid on the truck in question knowing it will be a haul away and expecting to possibly to have to tear the engine down.

AMX

I believe this response came closest to answering my original question to GL. I simply wanted to know the SOURCE of their info., not some guarantee as to its accuracy. Thanks to everyone that responded.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks