• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Qestioned GL as to source of their info.

Flyingvan911

I know my truck was listed as one level above scrap. The truck was in excellent shape. Even the brakes were up and working right. The best thing to do is preview and know that the item you're buying might have issues for you to deal with.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How can you expect a GL employee to be 100% accurate in the item description? They sell M35s and typewriters and everything in between. Can YOU list the exact defect of every item (all of which you never have seen before) first time with 100% accuracy?

Just about every truck is at GL with a condition code of 'uneconomical to repair', or scrap.

You are buying a used vehicle with NO GUARANTEE. Many people get lucky, some people get exactly what they paid for *hoping* its a runner.

Don't hate on the GL Lot guys. Most people here on SS have such a ridiculously high expectations that GL should wash/wax/deliver a perfect truck with a full tank of diesel to their home address, then complain because there are dead bugs on the windshield.

Bid on a truck with the expectation that you will have to recondition it.
I must agree with this

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I was going to post a warning about this truck when I saw the photo today. Didn't want anyone to get nailed on this one. I saw these during a BRAC visit to Dobbins last fall and got to talking to some folks about my truck. Can't believe it has taken around 10 months to sell this off.

The head is indeed cracked. I personally spoke to the mechanic (who was part of the overall group) that condition coded this truck, a USAF mechanic. There is actually a second truck at the same location that has a NMC issue but I'm not sure if it sold already or not.

My warning or strong suggestion is for anyone looking at deuces at Dobbins should do an on site to check out the equipment.

And no I am not planning on buying any more deuces. I got the one and only one I really want.

rednckii

vehicle issues

like someonelse already said the only real way to tell is to go preview it. I have personally brought vehicles to drmo for uncle sam. I have yet to see one that i personnally brought list everything wrong with it. Like they say these are not mechanics looking at the vehicles they give a quick glance mark and move on. I personally just got a m35a2 w/w off gla they listed it as having a cracked head. Upon returning home with it the radiator is cracked at the top inlet hose. Have yet to find any type of leak let alone crck in the head. So like everyone says inspect it if you want accurate info just my 2 cents.2cents

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
A few years ago I was at Camp Shelby, MS.......this was before I was infected with the dreaded "Green Iron Affliction". My division had a brigade located on Shelby and on occasion I would drive a CUCV that belonged to the unit. This usually meant a trip to the Motor Pool to dispatch a vehicle which meant it had to be inspected by a mechanic. I got to know several of the guys there and would hang out with them if there was nothing going on (this was better than hanging around HQ and having some staff officer send you to the doughnut shop).

One week while I was there they were getting a bunch of deuces ready to turn in......they were writing them up as having bad engines or transfer cases which allowed them to be turned in non-running condition. This meant they did not have to have good tires, lights, tops, etc or their Basic Issue Items (BII)..this saved the unit money and time.

The guys were not above doing some creative wrenching to make the vehicle inoperable. The assumption was that they would go through DRMO as salvage trucks and be cut up.

One of the worst things I ever saw was almost brand 5 ton bridge trucks being sold as scrap and having to be cut up on the National Guard yard at Sheby.

This may explain why some trucks are listed as non-running.......according to the mechanics this was not uncommon among units that wanted to get rid of old stuff so they would not have to do Motor Stables and monthly maintenence on them.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
The GL guys I know writes/notes what they see, I do know a couple of times he has been told to with hold very pertinent information so as not to dampen the bidding!
Umm...not calling you out on your statement...but...if that's true...it needs to be reported...IMO.

I know...whistle blowing etc... but if I know something is wrong I'm gonna tell someone...let the chips fall where they may.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks