• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quad 50 Gun Trucks

MatthewH

The search gods have done well for me this time:),
I am looking for close up pics of the quad .50 mount themselves, as i am looking at building a quad .50 gun truck.
I am going to be scratch building everything, and haven't come up with any good pics to build off of. If possible, pics with measurements would be awesome, or even a set of plans, if any are even available.

Thanks very much in advance

MatthewH

historyfanatics

The search gods have done well for me this time:),
I am looking for close up pics of the quad .50 mount themselves, as i am looking at building a quad .50 gun truck.
I am going to be scratch building everything, and haven't come up with any good pics to build off of. If possible, pics with measurements would be awesome, or even a set of plans, if any are even available.

Thanks very much in advance

MatthewH
Matthew,

PM me. I have some photos that show exactly what you need. Or, you can visit my website at www.HistoryFanatics.net and see the photos plus others.

historyfanatics

Just an update for everybody. I should have the truck sanded down in the next week or so.

I was able to get the correct mirrors and brackets. Thanks to Saturn Surplus for the mirror Heads and Midwest Military for the arms and brackets.

Also, thanks to Erik's Military Surplus for the electrical connectors. Thanks to Midwest Jeep Willys for the turn signals (replacing new with old). Thanks to Steel Soldiers for all the info that helps. And, thanks to Steel Soldiers for finding me a trade for my spring seat that was close enough to actually do.

And, finally, thanks to all the folks at the Miltary Museum of Texas for helping me acquire the truck, provide me a place to work on it, and spare parts to turn a 1971 AM General M35A2 updated in 1989 to a 1966 M35A1. Lots of work, skinned knuckles, etc. But, lots of good memories to be had.

I have been posting photos on my website. I'll try to get some more posted on here for everybody to see.
[thumbzup]:jumpin:[thumbzup]:grd::mrgreen:

historyfanatics

Just a side note to let everybody know that I have managed to find the fellow that painted the original artwork on The Widow Maker, and he has agreed to come down and paint the artwork on the replica.

As soon as I get everything put back together, I'll post some photos.

historyfanatics

Sorry about taking so long in getting this posted. Lots of other stuff going on.

Anyways, here is an update to the progress being made on The Widow Maker:

The truck is fairly complete. Just a few small items (like re-routing the exhaust) to contend with. She's painted, and has been road-tested.

I have managed to locate and procure a working quad mount with lightweight trailer. By working, I mean that the Little Joe works, the mount rotates and elevates.

The guns on it are Mac Reproductions. Not bad from 25 feet away, but definitely lacking up close. They will be replaced as soon as funds come available.

As soon as I can, I'll get photos posted to show the progress. Until then, keep checking my website. As things have been basically in a whirlwind mode since Thanksgiving, the website is a little behind getting updated. I'm working on it, so keep checking back.

historyfanatics

Updates to The Widow Maker

M35A2 left front - old.jpg
The first photo shows my M35 when I got it. Not a bad looking truck. It just needs some work.
truck.jpg
The second photo shows the truck as restored. That's two years of sweat, cursing, blood, more sweat, paint dust, grease, etc. The top has been changed out, new mirrors, headlights flipped, new wiring harness (front), etc.

This couldn't have been done without help from the guys at the National U.S. Armed Forces Museum.

The last photo (#3) shows the quad mount as acquired. It has not yet been mounted to the truck. When it does, the tombstone cans will be taken off, and 20mm cans substituted in their place. The Mac Replica guns can be seen here - they have the orange tips.

Quad Photo.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

historyfanatics

The last photo in the above post shows My M35 from approximately the same angle as from when it was first acquired. This photo was taken before the new top was acquired.

historyfanatics

DSCN0164_2082302_std.jpgDSCN0213_2092237_large.jpgDSCN0185_2091004_large.jpgDSCN0196_2091454_large.jpgDSCN0200_2091627_large.jpgDSCN0206_2091936_large.jpgDSCN0212_2092215_large.jpgWell, it's been long in coming, but we finally got the quad mounted in the back of the deuce. Many thanks to the the guys at the National U.S. Armed Forces Museum in Houston. They lent support - both moral and physical. The truck is parked there right now.

My website (www.HistoryFanatics.net) has all of the photos in order. These are just a few.

historyfanatics

This week-end, the plan is to secure the quad mount to the truck bed.

Also, the "new" ammo can mounts are in. They'll get sandblasted, primed, and installed on the mount. The Vietnam trucks didn't use the tombstone cans, so I'll put those in storage.

Also, I have a VIC-1 intercom system coming from Haney Electronics. Haney Electronics also supplied the PRC-77 on the truck. As soon as I get that put in, I'll post photos.

A big THANK YOU to all the folks who have helped out on this project. Some are on Steel Soldiers, some are not.

vtdeucedriver

This week-end, the plan is to secure the quad mount to the truck bed.

Also, the "new" ammo can mounts are in. They'll get sandblasted, primed, and installed on the mount. The Vietnam trucks didn't use the tombstone cans, so I'll put those in storage.

Also, I have a VIC-1 intercom system coming from Haney Electronics. Haney Electronics also supplied the PRC-77 on the truck. As soon as I get that put in, I'll post photos.

A big THANK YOU to all the folks who have helped out on this project. Some are on Steel Soldiers, some are not.
Devin and his dad part of this?

vtdeucedriver

They are affiliated with that museum and SS members, That's why I asked. When you see a yellow nosed 5 ton tractor pulling a M-127 trailer, That's them.

historyfanatics

Ok, I know who you're talking about now. That's Jim and his son. It didn't click with the kid's name.

While they are not part of this project, they have given moral support. And, they did pick up the M332 for me. As soon as I feel up to it, I'll get to work on it as well.

historyfanatics

I just got the newsletter for the NDQSA (National Dusters, Quads, Searchlights Association), and they are planning on having their reunion this year in Oklahoma City with a side trip to Fort Sill.

The Widow Maker will be at the reunion. I also am planning on it being at Sgt. Grit's in OK City, as well as making the trek over to Ft Sill.

Now for the updates:

The quad mount is in the truck and is bolted down. They wheels are off, as is the neck. They will be placed in secure storage. The tombstone cans will join them in secure storage.

The VIC-1 goes in this week-end. It will include both driver and co-driver, as well as for the GIB (guy in back). Also, the PRC-77 will likely be installed this week-end.

I learned from the former NCOIC of the truck (he started as a private and worked his way to E-5, all on the truck -- driver, loader, gunner, truck commander) that the original truck in Vietnam was the FIRST truck named The Widow Maker. All the others were simply known as Widow Maker. This truck was named in 1965 right after their unit got to Vietnam.
:driver:
The quad trucks were built in the States, so they are fairly uniform, unlike the gun trucks which were built in-country.

Some other items of note: the gas can (driver's side) contained gasoline for the Little Joe. There was a water can (5 gallon USGI) in back with water. Plus, a 20mm can with ice if they were on convoy duty. One ammo can contained diesel and brushes to clean the guns. Another ammo can contained grease for the mount.

I'm trying to replicate everything exact as it was in 1967. However, due to safety issues, I don't think I'll fill the ammo cans with diesel or grease.
:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks