• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about changing tire in the field

commandojeff

I have been thinking about how our troops change tires out in the field. Specifically what wrench do they use for the singles and how hard is it for them to do? Ever have issues of not being able to break lug nuts loose and so forth? Do they have any other tools besides just a normal lug wrench? Any information would be much appreciated. Trying to get a grasp on this as soon as I can.

Thanks,
Jeff

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I cheat. A impact gun, gladhand hose, and budd socket are standard equipment any time I'm going outside the county.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
We used the aluminum camo net pole as a cheater/breaker bar on the Budd wrench. They are tougher than they look.

commandojeff

I cheat. A impact gun, gladhand hose, and budd socket are standard equipment any time I'm going outside the county.
You answered another question I was throwing around in my mind. I was wondering how well the truck could supply enough air to run a large impact for an amount of time. I guess it is useable though.

Thanks for the info guys.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The GI's that were/are doing tire changing, have much newer tires/wheels/nuts to work with, not the ones that have been rusting solid for the past 10-20 years (or longer). Best thing you can do for your truck is to take them off and give them some anti-sieze while you are at your shop/home/lz. That way you are not dealing with 'frozen' parts on the side of the road, usually in the wind and rain.2cents

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You answered another question I was throwing around in my mind. I was wondering how well the truck could supply enough air to run a large impact for an amount of time. I guess it is useable though.

Thanks for the info guys.
Don't expect to bust off all the nuts at one time, I can tell you that for sure! You'll also run it low of air. Just give it a few minutes before going back at it. I want to say I get six lug nuts off per "charge". Course I've got anti-seize on them. I haven't done it in a 900 series truck though. I know my 931 has much larger air tanks than my deuces.

greenmonster

I used the harbor frieght 3/4in wrench set and a cresent wrench becuase on mine you have a 9/16 line a 5/8 bolt holding valve on front and a 1 1/8 holding valve on rear axle and the lug nuts are 1 1/2 so you need to have a couple of sizes to get it done. I just changed out the blow out I had on the way to vegas putting a new tire on the spare and that was a miserable job between carc paint on studs and the liner ring I am not looking forward to the other six tires I plan on doing.

sandcobra164

In the field, we do the best we can. In private hands, a air powered impact is nice. We just did a tire change on an M923. We broke the top of a budd nut off with a 1" impact and had to call in some "experts". Sometimes they are put on there "that good". We did break a brand new manual wrench that was included in the BII before we put the 1" impact on it. On my first Deuce, I bent a 3/4" T slide while getting the lugs loose. It's a mixed bag though. I've had some loose enough to get free without the cheater pipe.

BigWill1985

Don't expect to bust off all the nuts at one time, I can tell you that for sure! You'll also run it low of air. Just give it a few minutes before going back at it. I want to say I get six lug nuts off per "charge". Course I've got anti-seize on them. I haven't done it in a 900 series truck though. I know my 931 has much larger air tanks than my deuces.
I agree with this completely. I recommend breaking free every single lug nut at least once a year. You'd be amazed at the difference is in breaking loose lug nuts when you use some anti-seize or graphite on the threads. It's honestly a day/night difference. Much better to waste an hour a year doing this compared to wasting several hours on the road in the rain/cold/snow/dark!

~Will Courtier~

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
DO NOT let the DOT catch ANTI-SEIZE on the studs, bud nuts, a fine could be got, if the DOT inspector has had a bad day, he can make you CLEAN all the anti-seize OFF BEFORE the truck goes down the road, GREASING/ANTI[SEIZE on studs/bud nuts is a BIG NO NO, If you use anything after you clean the threads real good, use a LITE spray of WD40

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DO NOT let the DOT catch ANTI-SEIZE on the studs, bud nuts, a fine could be got, if the DOT inspector has had a bad day, he can make you CLEAN all the anti-seize OFF BEFORE the truck goes down the road, GREASING/ANTI[SEIZE on studs/bud nuts is a BIG NO NO, If you use anything after you clean the threads real good, use a LITE spray of WD40
Ron, you may be right about the DOT but we've been anti-seizing the outer nuts for at least 30 years. I will admit I've never been through a DOT inspection where they looked at the nuts that close though. What we've found is the instances of the thimble spinning while trying to remove the outer nut will drop to almost zero if you anti-seize the outer nut. We've also had zero instances of the outer nut becoming loose from using anti-seize.

We don't use much, just a little to keep the rust out. I honestly don't think the inspector could even tell unless you removed a nut and inspected the threads.

greenmonster

Ron, you may be right about the DOT but we've been anti-seizing the outer nuts for at least 30 years. I will admit I've never been through a DOT inspection where they looked at the nuts that close though. What we've found is the instances of the thimble spinning while trying to remove the outer nut will drop to almost zero if you anti-seize the outer nut. We've also had zero instances of the outer nut becoming loose from using anti-seize.

We don't use much, just a little to keep the rust out. I honestly don't think the inspector could even tell unless you removed a nut and inspected the threads.
I thought about anti-siezing my studs but my concern is that on most things like that I leave them bare so that they do not collect dirt and debris sticking to the anti seize? How much do you use yours off road? If a lot have you seen any problems with it gumming up? If not them I am doing it the heck with dot!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought about anti-siezing my studs but my concern is that on most things like that I leave them bare so that they do not collect dirt and debris sticking to the anti seize? How much do you use yours off road? If a lot have you seen any problems with it gumming up? If not them I am doing it the heck with dot!
We run 3 civilian road tractors and my experience I was speaking of was with them. I really don't see how you could collect debris inside the threads even if used mainly off-road though. We only anti-seize the outer nuts, not the studs. The only reason we do this is to keep the thimble from spinning while trying to remove the outer nut (you want the nut to come off and the thimble to stay put until you get the outer dual off). If you've ever had a thimble come loose before you have the outer nut off you'll know what I mean.

You shouldn't take lightly what Ron (73m819) said though. He may very well be right about the DOT not liking it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks