• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about changing tire in the field

commandojeff

I thought about anti-siezing my studs but my concern is that on most things like that I leave them bare so that they do not collect dirt and debris sticking to the anti seize? How much do you use yours off road? If a lot have you seen any problems with it gumming up? If not them I am doing it the heck with dot!
If you don't use very much then you wont see any debris getting on them. It's like using super glue on a project. Less is more. I worked at a golf course in the grounds crew department for two years (the reason I can afford my 5 ton, thank you excessive heat last summer causing my overtime :smile:). We used anti-sieze on the bolts that held on our blades for our zero turn mowers. Never had an issue of them loosening. There is a lot of dust flying around under there obviously. I never had an issue with debris on them that would cause me to not be able to get them off. Some guys used a lot of the stuff on there too. The good part is that it wipes right off.

My whole point to this thread was to try and understand how our troops do it. I am young and looking at business options. Came up with an interesting idea but not sure if it's worth pursuing if there isn't a need. I remember reading some posts about the geared wrench and that it wasn't a common item that our military carries in the field? How it had to be checked out of the shop and brought back. Is there any proof to this theory? I'm sure I could find those posts again if anyone is interested...

greenmonster

I also commented on how in the world troops do it in the field. I did my first swap at my shop with cherry picker and air tools and a spare guy. I told that guy there is no way I am doing this in the field a week later I am changing a tire on the side of the road just outside Vegas. Pain in the butt, the lug nuts were not the problem the problem was putting a spare tire back on the truck by yourself.

commandojeff

I could see how the weight alone of the tire could be a major issue by yourself. I weigh all of 140... so muscling that tire around by myself is pretty much not an option. I have AAA insurance on my normal car that covers free roadside no matter who I'm with. I wonder if they would help me out hahaha. rofl

greenmonster

I am 6'4'' 285 and I think I am a bit shorter after hefting the tire back up on the rack. It was almost left behind, but a Marine leaves no one behind!:D

My friend owns a tow company and he told me to get AAA RV insurance I insure it as a rv anyway so why not!

I also now have my hand winch set up so no more back surgery's in my near future.

Attachments

Csm Davis

I know that the rebuilds at Camp Shelby were only putting the geared wrenches on dump trucks. As to troops doing tire changes in the field most don't if possible, get a tow or drive on in if possible, security is worth more than a wheel and where security is not an issue get a tow, I have talked to drivers that say their unit won't let them change a tire.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alcoa recommends lubricating threads on studs - http://www.alcoa.com/alcoawheels/catalog/pdf/HDSM022004_en.pdf

"It is recommended that stud threads on stud located mounting systems be lubricated..."

"For nuts used on stud piloted wheels, apply two drops of oil to the first two or three threads at the tip of each stud only..."

Torque values for lug nuts should be adjusted for lubrication, if used.

GHall

I cheat. A impact gun, gladhand hose, and budd socket are standard equipment any time I'm going outside the county.
When using a gladhand hose which side of the air system do you hook up to and do you need to prime the air system like you would for a trailer? Just ordered one for myself and I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out once it gets here, just curious..

Thanks!!

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
When using a gladhand hose which side of the air system do you hook up to and do you need to prime the air system like you would for a trailer? Just ordered one for myself and I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out once it gets here, just curious..

Thanks!!
Hook it up to the emergency side.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Alcoa recommends lubricating threads on studs - http://www.alcoa.com/alcoawheels/catalog/pdf/HDSM022004_en.pdf

"It is recommended that stud threads on stud located mounting systems be lubricated..."

"For nuts used on stud piloted wheels, apply two drops of oil to the first two or three threads at the tip of each stud only..."

Torque values for lug nuts should be adjusted for lubrication, if used.
This is the ANTI-SEZIE issue, BY USING anti-seize (any other lube), the thimble and nut can be WAY OVER TORQUED and maybe causing the stud/thimble to crack and the possable loss of the wheel

I worked for a dump truck operation in CA., when our trucks were inspected, the driver had to pull the lug nut chrome cover, the inspector used a 3/4" electric inpack and pulled a lug nut and a thimble is he thought ANY lube other then a bit of wd40 or something similer was used,.I have seen trucks with a tire service truck next to it PULLING tires, so the studs can be CLEANED of anti-seize and CHECKED for cracks, this expense, the LOSS use of the truck, PLUS the fine PER LUG, does NOT make using anti-seize COST EFFECTIVE. Also the loosing of a wheel would not make the INSURANCE CO. happy.

Sorry about the spelling, Google Spell Check does not seem to work with the non-upgrade CHANGE.

Csm Davis

Ron we should have known it was the republic of CA. I am not telling anyone to do this but I believe I could win this in court, use of a lubricant or not doesn't affect whether or not you can over torque a lugnut, it will make it easier to do but doesn't keep the installer from placing proper torque on the lugnut. Now if he wants to get a torque wrench out and check the torque and then the breaking torque on my lugnuts then he will have a winnable citation, if he finds any loose or way to tight maybe.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ron we should have known it was the republic of CA. I am not telling anyone to do this but I believe I could win this in court, use of a lubricant or not doesn't affect whether or not you can over torque a lugnut, it will make it easier to do but doesn't keep the installer from placing proper torque on the lugnut. Now if he wants to get a torque wrench out and check the torque and then the breaking torque on my lugnuts then he will have a winnable citation, if he finds any loose or way to tight maybe.

I've seen the DOT boys at the Brownsville,TN scale on I40 take the lugs off trucks before. This "republic of any state crap" does get old.

greenmonster

Well....that's not quite right......the use of lubricants changes how things are torqued. The weight of lubricant also changes torque. Now that being said you can adjust torque spec based on type and viscosity of lubricant. I believe that ARP has a chart for the change in torque based on certain lubricants. I will do some digging and try and find it. That being said a bit of common sense goes a long way. I am sure csm davis does not take the one inch impact and run them on until it runs out of poop. Hand torquing a lug nut that size would probably be a small variation between dry and lubed. An impact would be a different story, or even worse a torque stick.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
WRONG, LUBE does effect TIGHTING and torque, that is WHY there is a dry and lube torque valvues for certin fasteners, lube in general and anti-seize esspecialy, make things SLIDE better which in turn can lead to over tighting and BREAKING things Which I can personaly atest to (cracked a NEW 60" crusher flywheell shaft mount hub long before the hub bolts got to torque, the torque value was for a dry torque, NOT a ANTI-SEIZED hub/shaft which we (I) thought would help get this thing off later when needed, not a happy plant manger). I have seen studs cracked/rims loose/cracked fron OVER TIGHTING because of anti-seize use.

You guys do what EVER you want, I am just putting out there what I know and have experence with, hopeing it will make some of you think about it.

Sorry about the spelling, Google Spell Check does not seem to work with the non-upgrade CHANGE.

Last edited:

Csm Davis

Ron if you will reread what I said, you will see you broke the bolts because of operator error not because of the lubrication. Yes it does change torque values and you should always know if a value is dry or lubricated. Loose nuts is what they should be looking for because if they are going hunting for over tightened near breaking they should be checking for stretch not torque. Guess next they will start making everybody change studs and nuts on every tire change then their torque values will be relevant in court. Not trying to start an argument with you Ron I respect you and what you post I enjoy the chats we have here and on the phone, peace brother.

Csm Davis

Most over tightened lugs on cars and trucks can be tracked back to a "air jockey" I like to call them that rely on feel of the air impact for torque to lazy to walk to the tool box and get a torque wrench and do it right. When I ran a shop you did not final tighten a wheel with a impact if you did it twice you were fired. A one inch gun can over tighten a lug with no lube, no problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks