• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about Deuce Mileage

NYHowie

Hi all, I am headed to Eastern Surplus on June 9th to pick up my refurbished 1970 Kaiser Deuce with multifuel
engine and super single tires. I am just looking for an idea of an idea for fuel mileage, so I can try to plan fuel
stops on the way home.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I were to plan for the trip I would plan for 8MPG.

You'll probably get 10 or better unloaded.

barefootin

I'd plan on 8-10mpg, but you will most likely get better than that... Mine gets better to equal fuel mileage to my full size Chevy and Land Rovers....

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you keep your foot off the firewall you can get 8MPG or better depending on terrain. Most of my deuces liked about 58 mph but I never had super singles. You can prob cruise at 62 or so and not be up against the governor.

Kaiser67M715

I would plan your first fuel stop for a 5MPG mark(After an initial fill up)

then a quick calculation should be able to tell you how far you can go on a gallon.

If I have to base it on distance, I always subtract 10% of distance I could travel. and I base travel distance on 4 gallons less a tank of fuel, so 46 gallons out of a 50 tank, at 10 mpg's calculated should be able to safely go 414 miles

rustystud

I would plan your first fuel stop for a 5MPG mark(After an initial fill up)

then a quick calculation should be able to tell you how far you can go on a gallon.

If I have to base it on distance, I always subtract 10% of distance I could travel. and I base travel distance on 4 gallons less a tank of fuel, so 46 gallons out of a 50 tank, at 10 mpg's calculated should be able to safely go 414 miles
That's a good way to estimate mileage, with a built in safety buffer too !

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While your seller is quite reputable, be sure to do a basic inspection by looking inside the fuel tank for sludge or algae, checking (or at least getting assurance) that fuel filters have been drained of accumulated "stuff", etc..

A little PM goes a LOOOOOONG way toward and successful and happy recovery.

Carry on.

red

Unloaded with mine, 395's at 55mph, 11mpg empty. With the canvas cargo cover and about 2,000 pounds of cargo I averaged 9-10mpg before my motor decided enough was enough.

XchaosX

Nyhowie, I'm about a half hour south of you, just south of Hamilton. I've got 2 deuces on super singles. I get about 10 mpg and I try to keep above a half tank. Below a quarter tank it can get tricky on the hills and can be a pain to restart.

Last edited:

18operator

Keeping 5 or 10 gallons in fuel cans on the truck might be a good idea, especially with that little liar of a fuel gauge. I do that for just such emergencies, but I never let the truck go below a quarter tank. (dip stick reading):p

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Just don't trust the fuel gauge. It will lie to you. :wink:
The only thing that lies more consistently than a career politician is a military vehicle fuel gauge.

When we were flat towing a deuce with a deuce back from Arkansas a few years ago I ran the same truck out of fuel twice because I thought I knew where the "drop dead" level was. When the gauge shows half a tank start looking for a fuel stop. By that time you will be ready for a break......trust me on this.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks