• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question re: Half Shaft install

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wrong rotor, you need Solid…first lesson, Down Load the TM’s and learn how to use the parts TM’s UOC codes “Use on code”, I promise it will make life easier and easier on the wallet from ordering the wrong parts.
Also, the 6 bolts you need are a specific “metric bolt” and length and use a locking washer called a Nordlock, order all these parts from Hummer parts guys, do not make the mistake of trying to use 3/8-16 bolts in the rotor flange.

Crapgame

Because of the range of motion of the twin A Arm suspension, when it hangs down at max extension (without the halfshaft in place to limit the arc of motion) may make the distance between the portal hub and the output flange shorter than the length of the halfshaft.

Try raising the portal hub with floor jack, it will pivot slightly outward enough to let you fit the halfshaft onto the output shaft.

Having both your rear wheels raised off the ground, chocking the heck out of the front wheels, with the transmission/transfer case in Neutral, I found at least for me and my help, to get all 6 bolts through the rotor into the output flange, we used the opposite side wheel to rotate the output flange to allow reach to all 6 bolts to snug all 6 down then apply final torque to each, to make sure you put the 6 10mm rotor/halfshaft bolts into the threaded holes on the output flange, not the notches, A2 flanges have three notches in it, I don't know if the either of the M1165 type brake assemblies do or not.
A2 Output Flange .jpg

Last edited:

Austin T

Thanks for all the assistance. I ordered the correct solid rotor and got it installed. As some mentioned, it would not go on with the wheel hanging down. I rested the vehicle on its own weight tires on the ground and it provided the clearance needed to get the halfshaft back in. Thanks for all the help!

Austin T

Hello everybody, have another question. My new brake caliper for the left rear of the vehicle came in recently, and I just found the time to put it on. As I was screwing in the brake line, I noticed it was leaking a lot. I looked at the other side and saw some kind of additional screw going into the caliper? Please advise. I have attached some photos, the pitted green one is the new caliper and the gray ish one is the older one.

Attachments

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe that it's an adapter to go to the flare type seal from the pipe threads in the caliper body. (I believe it's pipe threads, might be some other type of seal, but pretty sure you need it to keep from leaking)

Austin T

I believe that it's an adapter to go to the flare type seal from the pipe threads in the caliper body. (I believe it's pipe threads, might be some other type of seal, but pretty sure you need it to keep from leaking)
Yup it leaks without it. Been to all the hatrdware stores and autoparts store looking for the adapter. I'll post a separate thread for it. Thanks

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure why you would need another thread, all you need is to look at the parts TM
It looks like you need #17, although the parts diagram seems to show a rubber hose going to the caliper, hopefully someone can clarify.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks