• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question

W.K.Lowe

[thumbzup]Ok gents and ladies, i have a question for everyone. I perchased a duce its a 1969, and it doesnt have the air-front drive lock, was told its all time 10wd. ok hear is the question, i was out today pulling a treestump out of the yard today and i had the duce in 1st high range, and the front wouldnt pull. The back pulled its arse off but nothing from the front end. The drive line is hooked up and so dont know why. do you have to be in low range for all the wheels to pull or does it matter??? I have done a serch and found nothing helpful on the subject so im asking youall, thanks.....

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
It's not full-time. The front axle only pulls when the rear tires are slipping/spinning.
It's automatic if there is no air switch.

Hope that helps.:)

jasonjc

It's not full-time. The front axle only pulls when the rear tires are slipping/spinning.
It's automatic if there is no air switch.

Hope that helps.:)
If it still has the sparge T-case and the linkage is hooked up. I have a truck that got a replacment T-case that is air shifted but they never put in the air stuff to it. You need to see what IS in/under the truck too know for sure.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
NO will work in both ranges
The sprag will come in as needed, the air shift will engage when the air switch is flipped
Are you sure what transfer type you have???
Could be a air shift but missing the air switch
Could be that the sprag needs adjustment
Could be a broken front axle

In the druce TM -20 I believe there is a trouble shooting guide
The TMs will have everything that you need to know about this problem
THE TMs can be found here

JATONKAM35s HOME ON THE WEB

I'm so slow that even PB got a post in after I started

Last edited:

Rustygears

Welcome to the innocuous and evil 'sprag' gear. It was superseded by the air-engage in late models. I've heard many horror stories about mr. sprag

W.K.Lowe

Jatonkam35's websight was the first place i went. I couldnt make heads or tails out of it, all the text is piled on top of each other and cant make out what it says.....Is their any place else that has the downloads that i need???

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Did you try to down load, i had no problem reading or down loading
How long have you had your deuce, you should have had the TMs BEFORE you got the deuce, not after something breaks

I just went here , JATONKAM35s HOME ON THE WEB, brought up a TM and read it and I have a slow connection because I'm tethered to a 3g phone

Last edited:

W.K.Lowe

HMMM dont know what the connection problem is then. I have had the duce for 3 weeks now. I have ben on this board for 2 months reeding and lurking, trying to lurn all i can. So dont beat me up over TMs ok, im trying.
I just went back and couldnt download anything...everythings too messed up to click on....Trust me i tried. Just wonderd if anyone had it downloaded so they could send it too me or at least post it, thats all im needing, thanks

Last edited:

3dAngus

Here ya go...
Nope. Tried to upload them but they are to large. I will send you a PM.

Note: PMing did not work either, as the operators manual exceeds the max allowable limits of 9MB for a .pdf file.

Last edited:

shenkmen

HMMM dont know what the connection problem is then. I have had the duce for 3 weeks now. I have ben on this board for 2 months reeding and lurking, trying to lurn all i can. So dont beat me up over TMs ok, im trying.
I just went back and couldnt download anything...everythings too messed up to click on....Trust me i tried. Just wonderd if anyone had it downloaded so they could send it too me or at least post it, thats all im needing, thanks
You can download them from here as well - Technical Manuals

hoop

Look under and see if you have a Sprag of an Air shift.
Pic of a Sprag....If you have an Air shift there will be a "can" piston where the long rod is connected.

Attachments

rlwm211

Try going to the page at JATONKA's for the TMs for the deuce. The site is designed for 1024 x 768 resolution minimum as I was informed by the webmaster there.

Additionally it is set up for Internet Explorer and in EI8 you may have to use compatibility mode. If you have an older browser you may have issues as they are not capable of the higher resolutions.

here is the link.

main deuce download page
JATONKA's M35 TM download page

TM for troubleshooting pt 1

http://www.jatonkam35s.com/DeuceTechnicalManuals/TM9-2320-209-20-2-1.PDF

pt 2

http://www.jatonkam35s.com/DeuceTechnicalManuals/TM9-2320-209-20-2-2.pdf

TM for Unit level repair and replacement and should have adjustment for transfer case sprag

http://www.jatonkam35s.com/DeuceTechnicalManuals/TM9-2320-209-20-3-1.PDF

TM for udepot maintenance of transfer case

http://www.jatonkam35s.com/DeuceTechnicalManuals/TM9-2320-209-34-2-1.PDF

PM me and I can send a email with a direct link to each tm you will need for your deuce. This would avoid the problem you are having and get you the TM's you need.

RL

mbc

My truck has a sprag T-case. When I bought it the front axle would only pull when the truck was in reverse. After searching and talking to others I orderd a new sprag from White Owl Jeep parts. Now we have 6x6 and life is good.

W.K.Lowe

Thanks for trying 3D Angus the effort is apreciated. Shenkmen that is just what i was looking for thank you, I owe you a verry cold brew when we ever meet, your choice of brew ok, once agian thanks this helps out a lot....

3rdmdqm

I had same issue, mine is a 68. Sprag would not engage properly. Did all adjustments per TM, still would not work. Then it began engaging/disengaging occasionally making terrible banging noise and jerking the front wheels. Had to disconnect the front drive shaft which has solved the problem for now. Get better gas mileage too. I will be either leaving as is disconnected or replacing with airshift.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I had a Sprag duce that did the same, it turned out that the owner before me had machined the splines out of the front hub covers. Replaced with stock and no problem. Wish I still had them.

tco3129

Clark Truck Parts has the TM's on a CD for 7 or 8 bucks. I hard copied the tables of contents and use the CD.
Does'ent take up space on the harddrive that way.2cents