• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions about an '86 CUCV

FrankenCub

I'm new to MVs, was looking at a few M35A2's but they sold pretty quick. Then I just ran across an '86 CUCV with 72k miles on it. The ad says it a 1008 or 1010 and think it was a radio truck. The question I have is about the slide in body, would this have been a radio body? I've searched for images of the different body types but didn't see one like this.

The 6.2l diesel in these aren't the same diesel in civi trucks of the era, is it? I don't know much about these engines but have heard lots of complaints from other owners, if it's the same as the civi engine. I only have big diesel experience (Mack, Cat, etc)

86m1028

Motors are basically the same except j code intake, no emissions.
Both are gutless turds, think Prius of that era.
That is just a tall cap that was on either an m1008 or 1028.
The m1010 did not have a pickup bed.
The box was separate & had a walk thru. Cab had hole cut in between seats.

Assel

The 6.2 is basically the civi one, just with a 24V system (so you could jumpstart other army equipment) . You may consider reading through the TM´s found on this site. Its kind of special.. 2 12V Alternators, 1 of them isolated. glowplugs fed 24V through a resistor to give them 12V .... before messing with electrical stuff you really should either study the TM´s or ask here BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING.

If you keep them maintained & serviced their reliable. my 6.2 didn´t let me down even dead cold started in -16.6°F weather. Fired right up at first attempt..but then you should get away for a few minutes because it will be a fog/smoke machine until its warmed up a bit :D

FrankenCub

Thanks guys, I didn't see anything last night that resembled the shell and didn't think it looked substantial enough to hold a bunch of radio equipment. Late last night I found the 1010 info and see the differences.
I'd really like to go diesel for running WVO or WMO, but if these are that gutless it sure won't do me much good hauling firewood or my boat. The registration issues probably would have been easier here in NY. I need to stay away from Historic plates because of the limits on what we can use them for and how often.

Assel

if its a M1008/M1028 you could still haul something. The TH-400 + the 4.56 gears should do fine. but no high speeds then, a M1009 does not fit for towing really heavy stuff... 3.08 10 bolt axles and a weak hitch.

FrankenCub

It's definitely not a M1009, it's a pickup. The boat I will be towing is a Starcraft Chieftain, 21' cabin cruiser, but it's aluminum so really not that heavy. But loads of firewood will really add up. I don't really care about how fast I go, the '71 GMC I just sold I would only max out at 65mph on the highway only because I didn't want the new engine screaming. It was geared pretty low also. Built heavy for firewood is my main issue, that's why I was originally looking at M35A2's. But if these M1008/M1028 are stout enough this may be a viable alternative.

FrankenCub

Is it ok to post a Craigslits link for you guys to look at for some opinions? The box has 2 round holes on each side that seem to be deliberately put there that I'm also wondering if they are supposed to be there, mounting military equipment maybe?

FrankenCub

I don't think they are for antenna mounting, each side has a hole towards the front and one towards the rear.
link removed:recovry4x4:

Last edited by a moderator:

cucvrus

wood.jpgAny CUCV in proper running order is an excellent vehicle for hauling firewood, stones, I have used all types. I prefer the M1009 with a dual / single axle trailer. I have the same M1009 for 20 + - years and it is all original power train. All original. Works great. Is it a race car? NO. Does it run like a 6.0 gas? NO. But it runs well and gets the job done. All the wood was hauled with an M1009. Good Luck. And I have pulled a boat also. But it was a small bass boat. Happy Holidays.

86m1028

M1008A1
That aluminum shelf was bolted in the floor of bed up against front right side bed
for radio equip.
Also had power cables running to right frt of bed
(radio power).

edit: google the nsn # on the tag inside drivers door.
That will give you some more info.

FrankenCub

Again, thanks guys. Now that I Google M1008A1 it shows pictures of trucks with the same holes, must be for the antenna coax to go through so it makes sense that it would still be a radio truck, even with that cap.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes these trucks are no where near as powerful as a new duramax. But they can haul and tow quite a bit. Just so long as you don't need to go faster than about 55MPH. There are ways to get a little more power from them but they will never be hot rods. I have the stake sides on mine and on my 101 trailer. I have filled them both many times higher than the cab with oak fire wood and had no problems running 55MPH. I also have hauled 4000LBS of crushed concrete for my drive way with it. Again no problem. And still get 17MPG all day long.

MarcusOReallyus

I got mine for hauling firewood. I get log butts and crotches from a log processor, loaded with a grapple. 30", 40" oak rounds loaded to the gills, plus my M101 trailer behind. Works fine. I'm in no hurry.

FrankenCub

I'm definitely fine with the speed, or lack of it. I'm way past my young, dumb, and full of ... youth. I'd just as soon enjoy the scenery on my journey now. I'll give that guy a call tomorrow to talk to him a bit. I'm a little over 5 hours away from him so I really don't want to drive down there without being 100% into buying it, or finding undisclosed problems with it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Posting links to C list ads is against the rules.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks