• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions about insuring a 1987 AM General (Harder to get insured)

baxter

Like NRG I called my farmers agent told him it was a kiaser m35a2 he called a couple hours later had a quote $30 a month no problem.

Lonesome715

Weve got a quote form Gulfway, they were pretty quick about it. USAA insured our 67 Jeep M35A2 but couldnt do the AM General. They had nothing to say when I told them the trucks were the same thing. Looks like were going with Gulfway

Lonesome715

It looks like Gulfway all the way. They only want a $100 a year and no restrictions. Thank you for telling us about them.

I did consider switching the date plate, but the title is for an AM General.

Recht71

Hagerty Insurance co. Traverse City Mi The WILDTHING gun truck a 5 ton and My Deuce here in Indiana and The ACE Of Spade Gun turck a 5ton in TN Are insured with them, they insure speciality vehicles.

pjpiche1

I had Gulfway send me a policy. It is strictly exhibit insurance. It doesn't cover anything. It is full of restrictions. Read the policy before you purchase.

DonFDNY

From Hagerty's web site

Military vehicles
Older military vehicles are becoming increasingly popular among collectors. So Hagerty offers a program to cover military vehicles that are purchased as a collector vehicle. They must be 1974 or older (end of the Vietnam war), garaged and cannot be used for off-road usage or battle re-enactments. Also, the vehicle must be "de-militarized" (armaments removed or disabled).

WoodDeuce

I have prorogressive. Just call and tell them the vin the yeah and the make and not that its military let them figure the rest out. Mine was over hauled in 88 but its a 73 so I insured it as a 73 and its 500 for 6 months libility. No problems what so ever.

sandcobra164

Mine's a 71' AM General and it's insured through GEICO for about $20 a month. I do have an annual mileage restriction of 3,000 miles a year. 3,000 miles in one year in the Deuce would be a stretch for me at 50 mph. and 10 mpg. for me!!! I enjoy it in moderation. OP, are you bringing you're truck to the rally this year. I can't wait as it will be my first!!!

DonFDNY

Real age of a M35A3?

Real age of a M35A3?
I realize that the A3s were made from older A2s but if they rebuilt a 1970 A2 and put a new Cat engine and a new transmission in the unit in 1983 how does that change the year of the vehicle from a 1970 to a 1983?

If I had a 1970 Ford car and did the same thing with a new engine and transmission,it would still be a 1970.

In New York you can insure a 25 year old vehicle as a historical vehicle and the insurance is much cheaper. So what is the real age of the A3s?

greenjeepster

Osh-kosh does the same thing to old concrete mixers. Take an old mixer, refurb it and re-title as a new vehicle. The manufacturer is the origination so they determine the year of manufacture regardless of whether they are using recycled parts. If you rip down an old house to build a new one you are still building a new house.

The real age of an A3 is whatever the year of manufacture is on the data plate.

Last edited:

greenjeepster

I did not know A3's were rebiult A2's.
The a3 was an attempt to update the fleet without buying all new trucks. They took 2 or 3 a2s and stripped them down and reassemble them into one a3 truck. I believe the project ended up costing more than buying new trucks so the effort was scrapped.

Luckily for those of us who like the a2s... If the effort was a success we would not have had any a2s surplussed out for our personal enjoyment.

Last edited:

Haggar

Yeah, Took 3 A2s to make 2 A3s...

I just got my truck last week (1971 M35A2), I originally was going to use Hagerty, but after talking with them, I decided to go a different route. THey wanted it garaged, with pics of it in the garage, no useage at all for anything like a trip to home depot, or pulling people out of the snow.

I ended up using state farm, they don't care if its garaged or not. $150 a year for full coverage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks