• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions about insuring a 1987 AM General (Harder to get insured)

Lonesome715

Why did it take more than one A2 to make one A3?

That is a pretty good price for full coverage. This companies that want it garaged and other stupid stuff are rediculous.

pittdog

I got a M35A2 AMG 1972 ! no problem! just put it on my reguler auto Ins.... Up to you if you wan't full coverage.. me, just kept liabilty! They hit you , they will be totaled ! [thumbzup]

DonFDNY

The a3 was an attempt to update the fleet without buying all new trucks. They took 2 or 3 a2s and stripped them down and reassemble them into one a3 truck. I believe the project ended up costing more than buying new trucks so the effort was scrapped.

Luckily for those of us who like the a2s... If the effort was a success we would not have had any a2s surplussed out for our personal enjoyment.
If I remember right only 6,000 units were made into A3s

DonFDNY

M35a3/ctis

I haven't ever seen a A3 with a functional CTIS and my understanding is that they are a maintenance nightmare and most have been disabled because of it.
The CTIS should be removed and wheel bearings replaced with early style bearings. That system has special wheel bearings that are $800.00 each. The tires are an odd size
and replacements are $1,500-$1,800.00 each. Should change to 14.5R20 tires or single 11.00R20 tires.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't ever seen a A3 with a functional CTIS and my understanding is that they are a maintenance nightmare and most have been disabled because of it.

I just acquired an M35A2 from a nearby Voluteer Fire Department that upgraded one of their trucks to an A3. They had grand hopes for the CTIS, but after repeated trouble and $3000+ in CTIS repairs alone without success they also DISABLED it. Sad for them, they could really use CTIS in their ranchland terrain.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just acquired an M35A2 from a nearby Voluteer Fire Department that upgraded one of their trucks to an A3. They had grand hopes for the CTIS, but after repeated trouble and $3000+ in CTIS repairs alone without success they also DISABLED it. Sad for them, they could really use CTIS in their ranchland terrain.

I previously stated that the VFD had disabled the CTIS.... I have learned that this past weekend, they COMPLETELY STRIPPED THE CTIS from their A3. :cry:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks