• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions about register M35 in VA

mktopside

Banned
Thanks for the welcome and the quick reply. What is a good GVW to tell them? I'm pretty sure anything over 26,001lbs in VA you have to have a CDL for so I guess I would want to keep it at 26K. What do the trucks with winch, troop carrier, and top typically weigh full of fuel?

Really the only thing I would be carry is a bunch of guns and ammo in the back but that would probably never weigh any more than 300lbs. Having a auxillary fuel tank in the bed also wouldn't be a bad idea.

Most likely the truck would never leave VA, I may cruise it up to hot rod weekend in MD but that would be the only time. I'll look into whether or not MD will ticket me.

I found an even better deal closer too. I found a guy that has 8 winch M35A3's and 3 non winch's. The winch ones are $3500 + $500 for title + $500 for the troop carrier and roof. He's also only 30 miles away in Annapolis instead of 2 hours away in Deleware so I think I'm going to go this route. I'm going to go there in the morning to check them out and put a deposit on one.

If I buy one in MD, get the title work done and get tags do you think I will have any issues with the IFTA stuff driving it back to VA? He said he's only 20 miles across the state line which should be about 30 miles total from me. If nothing else my uncle has a gooseneck rated to tow 25K he uses for his backhoe and I could probably get him to tow it for me.
Weight doesn't matter in Va as long as it's under 80k. You can drive a semi without a CDL as long as it's filled with your own stuff.

"tx" tags are not any more expensive than any other tag as long as it's non-commercial.

If you live in Falls church you're going to have problems. I live in prince william, and I've had issues with my HOA. But since I keep it in the garage everyone is happy. However, in PW county anything over 10,100lbs cannot be kept in a residential neighborhood, even on your own property, or on the street; unless it's kept garaged.

Since The city of Falls Church is the East Germany of Northern Virginia, I'm certain the code enforcement Stasi will eat you alive. Do your research before you buy.

If you are buying from Kevin in MD, he's good to go. Just pay him to get the title, it'll be a breeze registering it in VA if you already have an MD title.

mktopside

Banned
Ohh ok, I wasn't really sure, his add mentioned having A3's and when I called and talked to him he never said they weren't and said the winch models were $3500. Either way I'm not buying one from him anyway though, I didn't much care for his attitude about it, theres no reason he can't take a good deposit of my hard earned money and hold the truck for a week or two for me, especially since I would have to wait up to 5 weeks for him to get me a title.

I thought PP tax went by county? I know I registered all my vehicles at my farm in Warren County so I did have to pay Fairfax County's high tax rate. I'm going to look into both tag types a little more and make the ultimate decision when I go to DMV to register it to me.

Thanks, yeah this is another reason I don't feel very comfortable with buying from the guy in annapolis. He obviously won't trust me to leave my money with him and come back with the rest and to retrieve the truck (which doesn't make much sense) so I don't trust him to get me the title.
Kevin is legit. I bought my A3 from him and everything was above board. He's a professional who has a professional non MV related job, selling MVs is a hobby for him. He's one of the good guys.

mktopside

Banned
After reading about the Deuce and the difficulties and rewards that come from ownership, I have begun looking into getting one myself. I also live in Virginia and have found this discussion informative and helpful. Thanks all. I am new to SS and will probably be on here asking a whole bunch of really dumb rookie questions at some point (please bear with me). I've been warming up the wife to the idea for a while and hope I can find a good one that wont make me regret getting one. I am going with my brother to Dahlgren tomorrow to check out a deuce they call "Groucho" so I can familiarize myself with the things. I am suprised to see how many people around here have MV's and think it's great to have an excellent forum to share experiences, etc. I have a buddy in Lovettsville who has several deuces and I imagine I'll be giving Andy a call in the near future!:-D
Man this is great! I thought it was just Andy and I representing the Va crew; but now it looks like we'll have even more Va guys in the near future.

micmccon

I have a question regarding medium duty trucks (as pertaining to the deuce). If you bob one, do you then still have to stop at the weigh stations? Does the axle count matter? Any suggestions about the tag and title requirements if you were to plow snow with a deuce?

Redneckbmxer24

Weight doesn't matter in Va as long as it's under 80k. You can drive a semi without a CDL as long as it's filled with your own stuff.

"tx" tags are not any more expensive than any other tag as long as it's non-commercial.

If you live in Falls church you're going to have problems. I live in prince william, and I've had issues with my HOA. But since I keep it in the garage everyone is happy. However, in PW county anything over 10,100lbs cannot be kept in a residential neighborhood, even on your own property, or on the street; unless it's kept garaged.

Since The city of Falls Church is the East Germany of Northern Virginia, I'm certain the code enforcement Stasi will eat you alive. Do your research before you buy.

If you are buying from Kevin in MD, he's good to go. Just pay him to get the title, it'll be a breeze registering it in VA if you already have an MD title.
Thanks for the reply. I don't actually live in Falls Church, I live in Fairfax County with a Falls Church Mailing address. I know a few guys in FFX with tractors that cops can't do anything about despite neighbor complaints. I've got a very large driveway but I'm sure the yuppie neighbors will still complain so I'll be more than happy to tell them to kick rocks. No HOA here either, the house has been in my family for over 80 years since it was originally built and we sold the property to the builder that built the subdivision next door that does have a HOA. My neighbors constantly complain about my loud cobra and F250 and I just let them know that I was here long before them and used to own the property their houses sit on and they're more than welcome to move away if they don't like my redneck ways.

Kevin seemed nice, but I'm still not going to give him all the money for a vehicle he doesn't have a title for and have to depend on him to get one. When I asked him if I could give him 50% with a bill of sale and then the other half when he got the title and when I came and picked it up he said no because that turns into a mess, but I'm not sure how he figures that. It's not like somebody would not follow through when they've given somebody over $2000 of their money.

I'm very happy with the one I looked at yesterday and I'm going to buy it. Unlike his that haven't been driven this one has quite a bit and is a perfect running truck with original odometer and hours. Mr.Ramsey explained how it should have about a 26:1 mileage to hour ratio and his is 24:1. Those few extra hours on his truck are probably because he lets it warm up 10 minutes before driving, and then run 10 minutes before cutting it off, that shows he takes very good care of his vehicles. He said he always keeps the tank full to prevent rust in the tank, and goes through a sequence of checking it over every time before it's started. He is even more anal about the care of his vehicles than I am which is saying quite a bit and just reassures me that much more about the purchase. $3500 for a M35A2 with winch 21XXX miles, 930 hours, and perfect paint that has been taken very good care of is a steal in my book.

I also like how honest and trusting Mr.Ramsey is, when I told him I would bring him a deposit he said that wasn't necessary, it wouldn't be going anywhere and to just give him a call when I get the rest of the funds together. He's just like me where a handshake and your word is your bond.

Overall I'm very happy with the vehicle I'll be getting. Mr.Ramsey offered me the sides, troop carriers, and canvas top at $500 which is the same price Kevin wanted. I will be doing those down the road but the first thing is going to be just drive the **** out of it. I also have to find some of the shorter mirror brackets, right now it has the ones that stick out like wings for the M109 box, and I would also like to pick up the blind spot mirrors too.

Once again, I thank everybody for their help. This has all been very informative and has helped me greatly in the purchase of my deuce.

mktopside

Banned
I work in fairfax and never get a second look from the cops. As far your your property goes, it sounds like you are good to go. I live in Gainesville and work in Alexandria, so shoot me an IM when you get your truck, we can go out and get in trouble or something.

Redneckbmxer24

I will definitely drop you a line when I get it. I need to find a good mud hole to run it through. I've got a ton of property all over VA, have some out near Front royal that has a good mud hole I could probably modify a little with the tractor and work on the trails some too to make it deuce friendly. I also have almost 1000 acres combined of properties in Westmoreland and Richmond counties and all the property is within 15 minutes of each other. **** I might just have to make a steel soldiers rally happen.

micmccon

Hey redneckbmxer24, I saw a classified ad from a guy in Md. who had like 20 deuces for sale. Is that the same guy who you were talking to? I was thinking about giving him a call. You indicated that the guy you talked to said his hadn't been run (or aren't in running condition) in a while. Did you get the impression that they weren't in running order? I am now officially in the hunt for a deuce and am interested in finding a good one that I don't have to rebuild to get started. I went to see one at Dahlgren today and am revved up to find one that is actually for sale. As the military owns the one I looked at, that isn't even a possibility. It was pretty nice though! Had heat, a new top, and didn't have an oil slick under it. I just know I gotta get one now!

Redneckbmxer24

Yeah that's probably him, I found him on CL. He said they run, but they haven't been driven around. The biggest thing that bothered me with him was he wouldn't take a 50% deposit to hold one I liked and said it would take him 5 weeks to get a title and would cost a extra $500 for the title. The member that contacted me here had one that is in great shape with very nice paint, needs absolutely no work just tag it and drive it for $3500 with the winch. I think he may have said he has a A3 he might sell, and he has a bunch of other stuff and of course everything is probably for sale for the right price. The guy in annapolis is probably still worth the drive to check out what he has.

I should have everything with mine finalized next weekend but if not definitely by the following and will probably be going on a little road trip to Montross to get it muddy and do some shooting. If you haven't driven or ridden in one your more than welcome to swing down there and check mine out.

OldDominionIron2

I have a question regarding medium duty trucks (as pertaining to the deuce). If you bob one, do you then still have to stop at the weigh stations? Does the axle count matter? Any suggestions about the tag and title requirements if you were to plow snow with a deuce?
As a personal vehicle, you aren't required to stop at the weigh stations. I pass them all the time in Hampton and Suffolk and have never stopped (or been stopped, knock on wood).

If you are plowing snow with a deuce, antique plates are out, you will need regular plates.

mktopside

Banned
I will definitely drop you a line when I get it. I need to find a good mud hole to run it through. I've got a ton of property all over VA, have some out near Front royal that has a good mud hole I could probably modify a little with the tractor and work on the trails some too to make it deuce friendly. I also have almost 1000 acres combined of properties in Westmoreland and Richmond counties and all the property is within 15 minutes of each other. **** I might just have to make a steel soldiers rally happen.
Better throw a locker in one of the rears........ reference my avatar :-(

mktopside

Banned
Yeah that's probably him, I found him on CL. He said they run, but they haven't been driven around. The biggest thing that bothered me with him was he wouldn't take a 50% deposit to hold one I liked and said it would take him 5 weeks to get a title and would cost a extra $500 for the title. The member that contacted me here had one that is in great shape with very nice paint, needs absolutely no work just tag it and drive it for $3500 with the winch. I think he may have said he has a A3 he might sell, and he has a bunch of other stuff and of course everything is probably for sale for the right price. The guy in annapolis is probably still worth the drive to check out what he has.

I should have everything with mine finalized next weekend but if not definitely by the following and will probably be going on a little road trip to Montross to get it muddy and do some shooting. If you haven't driven or ridden in one your more than welcome to swing down there and check mine out.
FWIW, and I'm not making any promises for Kevin. But he told me 5 weeks as well when I bought mine on Ebay from him. I picked it up a week later and he had the title in hand.

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a personal vehicle, you aren't required to stop at the weigh stations. I pass them all the time in Hampton and Suffolk and have never stopped (or been stopped, knock on wood).
Granted it's been a few years and the rules may have changed but when I lived in Virginia with my semi truck there was no exemption for trucks with antique plates that allowed them to pass the scales. The rules stated all trucks 10,000 pounds or higher had to stop at the scales, personal or commercial. The only exemption was for empty tow trucks. Even when I was bobtailing it I had to hit the scales.

The only reason you've gotten away with it is you're driving a military style vehicle. Military vehicles are exempt from the scales only when they are still owned by the government. When a scale official sees you go by he assumes you're military and outside of his jurisdiction. You should be stopping at the scales. If you don't believe me give the VA DOT people a call and ask them about the rules pertaining to scales.

If you are plowing snow with a deuce, antique plates are out, you will need regular plates.
Depends on if he is in business or doing his own driveway. If he's on his own property taking care of his own driveway then antique tags should be okay. But if he is using the truck in support of a commercial operation then you are correct and he would need weighted tags.

Ruppster

Redneckbmxer24

Better throw a locker in one of the rears........ reference my avatar :-(
What does it run for a locker and install. I have a good friend that works at a driveline shop in springfield and mainly does big trucks so I'm sure I could probably get a pretty good deal on the labor.

Also anybody have a idea where I can get the 11X20 Michelins or Goodyears? I looked on berg tires and couldn't find anything. I saw a lot of the super singles but I want to stick with the duals on this truck. Theres a good chance I'll pick up a non winch M35 down the road, bob it, and put it on super singles.

micmccon

Thanks for the invite redneckmbxr24. I have ridden in a deuce before and look foreward to doing so again real soon. I don't know that I'll take you up on your invite this time but perhaps we'll meet up after I get one! @ Ruppster, I kinda figured that I would need to get truck plates for it if I intended to use it for plowing snow. At this time I think getting a vehicle is the first step and then figure out the plow issues as well as insurance, etc. Regardless of the plowing, I want one. I will figure the rest out as I go. It's nice to know you guys are out there for support and advice. BTW, if any of you know people wanting to sell a good deuce (with a title) let me know please. SS has some requirement that you must make 100 posts before placing an ad or a "wanted" classified on the site. I don't want to make 100 B.S. posts before kicking a few tires.Btw, the ad I saw was decodeme and I will try to talk with him soon. I'm sorry that you didn't hit it off with him (redneckmbxr24) but I think it's still worth it for me to talk with him.

mktopside

Banned
What does it run for a locker and install. I have a good friend that works at a driveline shop in springfield and mainly does big trucks so I'm sure I could probably get a pretty good deal on the labor.

Also anybody have a idea where I can get the 11X20 Michelins or Goodyears? I looked on berg tires and couldn't find anything. I saw a lot of the super singles but I want to stick with the duals on this truck. Theres a good chance I'll pick up a non winch M35 down the road, bob it, and put it on super singles.
Hahah "read the TM!"

There I got to say it to you first!!

I have no idea. I don't think it's technically that hard, but you are dealing with moving a lot of weight in a confined area. Your friend would know.

Redneckbmxer24

Thanks for the invite redneckmbxr24. I have ridden in a deuce before and look foreward to doing so again real soon. I don't know that I'll take you up on your invite this time but perhaps we'll meet up after I get one! @ Ruppster, I kinda figured that I would need to get truck plates for it if I intended to use it for plowing snow. At this time I think getting a vehicle is the first step and then figure out the plow issues as well as insurance, etc. Regardless of the plowing, I want one. I will figure the rest out as I go. It's nice to know you guys are out there for support and advice. BTW, if any of you know people wanting to sell a good deuce (with a title) let me know please. SS has some requirement that you must make 100 posts before placing an ad or a "wanted" classified on the site. I don't want to make 100 B.S. posts before kicking a few tires.Btw, the ad I saw was decodeme and I will try to talk with him soon. I'm sorry that you didn't hit it off with him (redneckmbxr24) but I think it's still worth it for me to talk with him.
I was browsing the site, and didn't even see a classifieds section. Do my newb powers prevent me from seeing it? I don't want to bug Mr.Ramsey but when I call him this week to set up when we're doing the transaction I'll be sure to ask if he has another for sale. Do give me a shout when you get one, people with cool toys are welcome at my property any time!

Hahah "read the TM!"

There I got to say it to you first!!

I have no idea. I don't think it's technically that hard, but you are dealing with moving a lot of weight in a confined area. Your friend would know.
Yeah, don't have a TM yet but the truck is coming with one. I will check with my friend and see what he would charge after I get the truck and he can look at it. If the price is reasonable I may have him put them in both, I may even do one in the front.

Does anybody know where I can buy just troop sides? Can you run them with out the frames for the top attached? Also any idea where I can get a military type box thats pretty good size I can put some guns and other stuff in and some kind of lock? I've been searching for the last hour and really haven't found much info or either item for sale. I'll probably just end up buying the top and all, being able to keep a box of guns "out of sight, out of mind" wouldn't be so bad but its also not like most people can see over those bed sides.

Also the truck I'm purchasing has the extended mirror brackets because it was a M109, is $90 per bracket on ebay a pretty good deal or do you think I could find somebody that would trade? I wouldn't have a problem adding a little cash on my end if I had to.

I've been looking on eastern surplus, and GL. Are there any other places on the east coast for parts and acc's for these?

Last edited:
@ Ruppster
You are correct about the weight. >7500 lbs registered GVW requires stopping at the scales. Getting caught not stopping is a misdemeanor. Good thing there is only one scale in the area. I'll keep an eye out for others while I'm driving around. I'm going to take the truck out tomorrow just to go through the scale.

Hey, I learned something today.

Redneckbmxer24

@ Ruppster
You are correct about the weight. >7500 lbs registered GVW requires stopping at the scales. Getting caught not stopping is a misdemeanor. Good thing there is only one scale in the area. I'll keep an eye out for others while I'm driving around. I'm going to take the truck out tomorrow just to go through the scale.

Hey, I learned something today.
That's not true, if it was just about every 3/4 ton truck would have to weigh in. I specifically asked my friend that's a VA state trooper and he said I wouldn't have to weigh in with the deuce.

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's not true, if it was just about every 3/4 ton truck would have to weigh in. I specifically asked my friend that's a VA state trooper and he said I wouldn't have to weigh in with the deuce.
Nothing against your friend that's a State Trooper but your normal State Trooper does not know the laws pertaining to heavy vehicles. When I got in to semi trucks I made the mistake of asking State Troopers if a CDL was needed for driving a person use semi truck. All of the ones I talked to gave me the wrong answer. You need to talk to either a Commercial LEO or VA DOT person. But it's your backside in the hotseat if your friend is wrong, if you want to take his answer as being correct that's your call. I'm just saying what I found out when I read the VA statutes myself.

As far as the greater then 7,500 pounds issue if you noticed he used "GVW". GVW is different then GVWR when it comes to license plates. At a certain point truck tags switch from being a flat rate tag for a pickup to being a GVW weight tag for heavier trucks. It's when they become a weighted tag with a GVW that weigh scales become an issue. IIRC a normal 3/4 ton pickup would not be registered with a GVW unless it was registered to a business. In some states a 1 ton technically would need to stop at weigh scales but most of the states that have a law that says they must stop at the scales gave up trying to enforce it due to how many people have 1 ton pickups for personal use these days. Especially since 1 tons don't look any different then their 3/4 ton little brothers anymore. :)

Ruppster

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks