• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions about register M35 in VA

mktopside

Banned
@ Ruppster
You are correct about the weight. >7500 lbs registered GVW requires stopping at the scales. Getting caught not stopping is a misdemeanor. Good thing there is only one scale in the area. I'll keep an eye out for others while I'm driving around. I'm going to take the truck out tomorrow just to go through the scale.

Hey, I learned something today.
Well, there is the little one on Rt50 out where 15 and 50 meet.

Redneckbmxer24

Nothing against your friend that's a State Trooper but your normal State Trooper does not know the laws pertaining to heavy vehicles. When I got in to semi trucks I made the mistake of asking State Troopers if a CDL was needed for driving a person use semi truck. All of the ones I talked to gave me the wrong answer. You need to talk to either a Commercial LEO or VA DOT person. But it's your backside in the hotseat if your friend is wrong, if you want to take his answer as being correct that's your call. I'm just saying what I found out when I read the VA statutes myself.

As far as the greater then 7,500 pounds issue if you noticed he used "GVW". GVW is different then GVWR when it comes to license plates. At a certain point truck tags switch from being a flat rate tag for a pickup to being a GVW weight tag for heavier trucks. It's when they become a weighted tag with a GVW that weigh scales become an issue. IIRC a normal 3/4 ton pickup would not be registered with a GVW unless it was registered to a business. In some states a 1 ton technically would need to stop at weigh scales but most of the states that have a law that says they must stop at the scales gave up trying to enforce it due to how many people have 1 ton pickups for personal use these days. Especially since 1 tons don't look any different then their 3/4 ton little brothers anymore. :)

Ruppster
My friend isn't just any state trooper, he works the weigh stations in the Bristol district and works with the DOT guys that stop trucks so I think he's more than qualified to answer the question. If it wasn't for the fact he works the weigh stations and works with DOT guys I would not have even asked him because most officers hardly know the laws they enforce.

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My friend isn't just any state trooper, he works the weigh stations in the Bristol district and works with the DOT guys that stop trucks so I think he's more than qualified to answer the question. If it wasn't for the fact he works the weigh stations and works with DOT guys I would not have even asked him because most officers hardly know the laws they enforce.

I've done a couple of cross country trips in tandem axle antique trucks and stopped at many weigh scales all across the U.S. I can say the same thing about DOT and Commercial LEO's. I've always carried copies of regulations with me due to this. Saved my butt from tickets many times due to ignorant Commercial LEO's.

Anyhow, while it's possible they changed the rules in the last few years when we lived in Virginia several years ago I read the actual state statute about weigh scales and it did not exempt non-commercial vehicles. The requirement to stop at the scales in VA was based only on weight, not weight and use in commerce. I threw out my log book from VA a couple of years ago as I never want to go back to that F'd up state so I can't look it up at the moment. Maybe you can ask your friend to quote the reg that exempts private trucks over 10,000 pounds since he's the one saying you don't need to stop. I would be willing to bet there's no such exemption. If your friend can prove me wrong and provide the actual statute and chapter that says only commercial trucks used in commerce must stop at the scales I will donate $50 to the SS web site. Care to accept that challenge? If so that means if your friend is wrong and I am correct then you get to donate the 50 bucks to the web site. So do you feel up to a challenge? :D

Ruppster

Last edited:

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So when they say we have 50 states they are wrong because VA wants to be called a Commonwealth? :)

And yes, I know VA is not the only Commonwealth state.

Ruppster

So I took the deuce through the local scales yesterday. My first time ever through a set of scales, and it was anti-climactic to say the least. Approaching the scales, on the green light, reading the sign that says stop on red, go on green. Got on the scale, the light flashed red for about one second before going back to green. I didn't even have time to come to a complete stop before they green lighted me.
Attached is the Virginia manual concerning truck size and weight limitations. There are items in the manual where they specify commercial vehicles, but inspections is not one of them. Check out page 15 for scale requirements and make your own decisions. Like Ruppster said, "it's your backseat in the hotseat" (love that phrase) so do what you want to do. Will the troopers come after you if you drive by without stopping, probably not. But with my luck, and for as painless as it was, I'm just going to go through the scales.

You might want to open the link in a new window.

Attachments

Redneckbmxer24

I've done a couple of cross country trips in tandem axle antique trucks and stopped at many weigh scales all across the U.S. I can say the same thing about DOT and Commercial LEO's. I've always carried copies of regulations with me due to this. Saved my butt from tickets many times due to ignorant Commercial LEO's.

Anyhow, while it's possible they changed the rules in the last few years when we lived in Virginia several years ago I read the actual state statute about weigh scales and it did not exempt non-commercial vehicles. The requirement to stop at the scales in VA was based only on weight, not weight and use in commerce. I threw out my log book from VA a couple of years ago as I never want to go back to that F'd up state so I can't look it up at the moment. Maybe you can ask your friend to quote the reg that exempts private trucks over 10,000 pounds since he's the one saying you don't need to stop. I would be willing to bet there's no such exemption. If your friend can prove me wrong and provide the actual statute and chapter that says only commercial trucks used in commerce must stop at the scales I will donate $50 to the SS web site. Care to accept that challenge? If so that means if your friend is wrong and I am correct then you get to donate the 50 bucks to the web site. So do you feel up to a challenge? :D

Ruppster
I called him but I assume he was sleeping because he's probably on midnight shift. I sent him a text though and I'll let you know as soon as I hear back from him.

So I took the deuce through the local scales yesterday. My first time ever through a set of scales, and it was anti-climactic to say the least. Approaching the scales, on the green light, reading the sign that says stop on red, go on green. Got on the scale, the light flashed red for about one second before going back to green. I didn't even have time to come to a complete stop before they green lighted me.
Attached is the Virginia manual concerning truck size and weight limitations. There are items in the manual where they specify commercial vehicles, but inspections is not one of them. Check out page 15 for scale requirements and make your own decisions. Like Ruppster said, "it's your backseat in the hotseat" (love that phrase) so do what you want to do. Will the troopers come after you if you drive by without stopping, probably not. But with my luck, and for as painless as it was, I'm just going to go through the scales.

You might want to open the link in a new window.
I looked through that the other day and didn't find anything saying who HAD to stop, but I'll read through it again.

Redneckbmxer24

I'm not accepting any challenges, but I will post the info when I receive it. So far everything I have looked up including the lights on the truck I've found a law that contradicts it. For example I found a code written that shows if a vehicle didn't come with certain safety equipment such as seatbelts or lights then they are not required for inspection or by law to operate on public roads and then I've found something that contradicts it.

I'll try to find the code again but it said for example if a truck didn't come with roof clearance lights, reverse lights, or tag light then that are no required by law or in the state inspection manual but I've also found codes that say ALL vehicles must have them. Seems the law is written so they can bend you over if they so choose.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with you on the subject of contradictory info in the State Safety Inspection manual. There are plenty of examples of "double speak" in there. Must have been written by a politician.
That way when they they bend you over the it dosen't matter what side your on , somebody will be there to stick it to you .

Redneckbmxer24

Yep I'll just be sure to carry around the copy of the code that is the version I want. After talking to my buddy that inspects large trucks I think I'm going to just register with regular truck tags. The tag fee and the personal property tax really isn't a lot of money to be able to drive it whenever/wherever. I have several farms so I could easily register it as farm use, but if I'm not using it for farm use it shows it as a class 6 felony. Antique tags seem like it would be the next best thing for my uses but how they have it worded that "occasional pleasure driving" is allowed it is very very grey. If I cruised it out on a nice day or something that would be pleasure driving, but then if I loaded up all my guns and headed to any of my farms for do critter control it could be looked at as pleasure as I do get great pleasure out of seeing groundhogs pop, but it could also be looked at as farm use.

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not accepting any challenges, but I will post the info when I receive it.
And you sounded so sure of what your friend said when you came out with the claim that ODI and I were wrong. :) Guess I'm the only one around here willing to put their money where their mouth is. :D Well, I tried to raise some money for the web site. At least it would have gone to a good cause. Even though you aren't up to the challenge I'm still willing to stand by what I said. If your friend can prove me wrong I am still willing to fork up $50 to SS even though you aren't.

So far everything I have looked up including the lights on the truck I've found a law that contradicts it. For example I found a code written that shows if a vehicle didn't come with certain safety equipment such as seatbelts or lights then they are not required for inspection or by law to operate on public roads and then I've found something that contradicts it.
Where are you reading this "code"? Is it from state publications like the pdf posted by ODI? If so then you might want to ignore the pamplets and go right to the only ones that matter, the state statutes themselves. I've seen many state manuals have a little disclaimer that they are not a complete list of laws. Even the pdf OD posted starts with "this booklet has been condensed from the Motor Vehicle Code of Virginia". I've found that some state publications are written with a certain purpose in mind (i.e. if it's about trucking it assumes you will be in commerce and makes no reference to personal use) and don't always cover every little aspect.

I'll try to find the code again but it said for example if a truck didn't come with roof clearance lights, reverse lights, or tag light then that are no required by law or in the state inspection manual but I've also found codes that say ALL vehicles must have them. Seems the law is written so they can bend you over if they so choose.

Might be an issue of rules for antique vehicles versus those for a vehicle in commerce. An antique truck as a personal use antique vehicle would be exempt from modern safety requirements but if you were to use that truck in support of a business (i.e. in commerce) then Federal safety requirements kick in and what that old truck came with from the factory is no longer good enough and it must meet newer safety regulations. So it all comes down to what the reg itself is about that you are reading the conflicting info in.

Ruppster

micmccon

Ruppster, all good points. I will look up the requirements in the Va. state insp. manual tomorrow at work. I just passed the state safety inspectors exam (and am waiting on the state to finish thier background checks,etc) and seem to remember a lot of the requirements are date specific with regard to seatbelts and lights,etc. As I don't have the book in front of me here at home, I can attempt to address this tomorrow. Most of the stuff I studied was specifically aimed at cars and light trucks and not medium and heavy trucks.I of course had to answer all the heavy truck stuff too, but I didn't study all that in detail.

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love the scales here in Florida. They use a weigh in motion set-up at a lot of the scales on the interstate around here and after you cross the scale at 45 mph you come to a split in the road. The split to the left takes you back to the highway but the split to the right leads you to the scale house. They wait till the last second to either give you a green arrow to the left or a red arrow to the right. Nine times out of ten I would get the green arrow to go on my way. But every now and then I get a red arrow to go to the right and stop. Each time the scale official stopped me it was for a random log book check (which was a waste of time as I don't need to keep a log book since I'm not in commerce). Every time I get the red arrow I still cringe that it's going to be something other then a log book check. :)

As for the manual thanks for uploading that. Left some rep points for you for the effort (not that anyone uses the rep point system anymore). :)

Ruppster

Redneckbmxer24

And you sounded so sure of what your friend said when you came out with the claim that ODI and I were wrong. :) Guess I'm the only one around here willing to put their money where their mouth is. :D Well, I tried to raise some money for the web site. At least it would have gone to a good cause. Even though you aren't up to the challenge I'm still willing to stand by what I said. If your friend can prove me wrong I am still willing to fork up $50 to SS even though you aren't.

Where are you reading this "code"? Is it from state publications like the pdf posted by ODI? If so then you might want to ignore the pamplets and go right to the only ones that matter, the state statutes themselves. I've seen many state manuals have a little disclaimer that they are not a complete list of laws. Even the pdf OD posted starts with "this booklet has been condensed from the Motor Vehicle Code of Virginia". I've found that some state publications are written with a certain purpose in mind (i.e. if it's about trucking it assumes you will be in commerce and makes no reference to personal use) and don't always cover every little aspect.

Might be an issue of rules for antique vehicles versus those for a vehicle in commerce. An antique truck as a personal use antique vehicle would be exempt from modern safety requirements but if you were to use that truck in support of a business (i.e. in commerce) then Federal safety requirements kick in and what that old truck came with from the factory is no longer good enough and it must meet newer safety regulations. So it all comes down to what the reg itself is about that you are reading the conflicting info in.

Ruppster
Whether I'm sure or not I don't bet money or gamble in any way shape or form.

I found all the codes searching google, I don't recall the code number or which VA site it was on but I'm sure I can find it again if you would like. I'm still waiting to hear back from my state trooper friend, he may be consulting with a DOT officer.

Redneckbmxer24

BTW has anybody had a bad experience with easter surplus? I called because a few things I wanted said call for price I told him off the bat I was offered troop carrier sides, the top brackets, and top for $500 but really didn't want the whole top and just the troop carrier sides and headboards and he quoted me $700 for just the sides. I asked for a price on the mirror brackets because they said call for price and he quoted me $200 each when the going rate seems to be about $80-100 each WITH the mirrors. Then I told him I would like a set of the round blind spot mirrors and he quoted me $50 each when the site has them listed for $15. I'm not trying to sound like a cheap bastard because I'm far from it but **** are those prices outrageous. I chuckled when he told me how much the NDT 11X20's cost. He sounded like a nice guy over the phone but didn't seem like he wanted to make a sale.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks