• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

questions on buying a hummer?

Blazer1987

Hi, I found a 1986 hummer for sale. I dont even know the model number. It has 2 seats and a pickup bed. The engine is a 6.2 L. I have not spoke with the owner yet but it says in the listing that it smokes and might be a head gasket? Asking 12,000$. I need some of you hummer knowledge. Ive never seen one for less than 20,000$ so I never really got into them. Im looking to find out some specs. Maybe like what kind of transmission and transfer case does it have? I do know they have independent suspension. What kind of axles or type of axles? What could be possible gear ratios? Can they get out of there own way with a 6.2L. No turbo? Is it common for head gaskets to go on this engine. It has 55,000 miles. Do these trucks have heat? Im very familiar with chevy trucks, im assuming hummers might have the same drivetrain? Do hummers have lockers? What makes them so expensive? Please and thank you for any info.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I assume you are talking about a HMMWV instead of a Hummer.

I'm not very familiar with the platform but I do know the axles are completely different from Chevy trucks.

They are so expensive due to supply and demand. There have been a relatively small number released from the military. The price should come down some as more are released.

tomelroy

the H1 hummer is the civilian version of the HMMWV...basically the same thing with some EPA and DOT add ons. Plus a bunch of unnecessary frills and plastic.

Expendable

Yes it is a HMMWV. High mobility multipurpose wheeled vehicle. So its not really a Hummer?
Hummer is civilian only. Started off as the AM General Hummer and then sometime after GM bought the rights to the hummer name it became the Hummer H1 in the early 2000s. The basics are the same. the older the Hummer the closer to a Humvee it will be. My 1995 Hummer is similar to an A2 Humvee but there are still a lot of differences.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The answer to your price question....NO, Not with a possible bad engine.
As far as the myriad of other questions...I suggest going a Google search, going on AM Gens website....

Gunzy

With only 150HP it won't outrun a child on a bicycle. I wouldn't buy one due to the exceedingly high maintanence costs. But in the end it is your money to do with as you wish.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With only 150HP it won't outrun a child on a bicycle. I wouldn't buy one due to the exceedingly high maintanence costs. But in the end it is your money to do with as you wish.

HP is not what makes HMMWV's what they are ...it's Torque, Geared hubs, diff gearing....not sure where the high maint comes from, my trucks don't, at least no more then any military vehicle I have ever owned.
proper PMCS will usually keep you from getting stranded on the side of the road.

Gunzy

HP is not what makes HMMWV's what they are ...it's Torque, Geared hubs, diff gearing....not sure where the high maint comes from, my trucks don't, at least no more then any military vehicle I have ever owned.
proper PMCS will usually keep you from getting stranded on the side of the road.
HMMWV parts aren't cheap, and yes, "Proper PMCS" is important but your average guy isn't likely to do that.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmwv parts are more plentiful then almost any other mil truck on the market at this time.
Prices range from rediculous to cheap and plentiful. Many many parts are commercially available from local auto parts stores.

TedG

Clean title and bad engine. I would buy it for that price range. pm me if you pass on it.

Blazer1987

Im thinking of buying a military 5/4 ton pickup just for now. So I can have something to drive. At least I know all about those trucks, besides the engine, I did take a few diesel classes in college. I just wish they had a turbo. Maybe I could find a used turbo kit or something. I know the new kits run like 2500$, thats prob what the trucks gonna cost. Maybe I would be better off finding a newer pickup or suburban with a 6.5 turbo. What do you guys think about the M1008 truck?

turnkey

When you do buy a Hwwvvr then the fun begins......And yes you do get a hummer if you don't do the pms like you should ...Army guys call is PMCS....Navy calls it PMS.....have fun and make sure check it out all the way....Google it and read the threads on this site...Lots of good info for a first time buyer.