• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quieting down the low air warning buzzer?

So as I've said I'm picking up a2 M35A2 soon and I'll be bobbing the truck down. I've done a pantload of research online to prepare for the hands on work and every time I watch a video on youtube, even with the volume turned way down on my computer, that low air buzzer is worse than fingernails on a chalkboard. What I'm wondering is, can you get away with shooting some RTV (silicome sealer) into the noise hole on that buzzer to make it a bit less obnoxious? Has anyone tried this? Did it help?

Silly question I know, but I can't be the only one who can't deal with that horrible noise on a daily basis. aua

steelandcanvas

During start-up, use the time the low air buzzer is on to do your before operation checks. PMCS. By the time I'm done with the walk-around, the buzzer is satisfied there is enough air in the tanks. I have both buzzer and light on my Deuce.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good ideas, I like the light one especially. I hate the noise as well so when I start the truck, make sure I have oil pressure and it's idling smoothly and the E&E the cab. Use the "noise time" to leak check the engine or some such thing. Good time to thump the tires to check for pressure as well. Since the engine is so loud, I wear either ear plugs or ear defenders, AKA, mickey mouse ears. It takes some of the noise pain away.fat lady sings

Darwin T

the light on the left on the white side and the right on the black side will be the low air warning light. this will be replacing the one that i put on about 2 years ago. here is what the one in my M109a3 looks like until i replace the panel. the red one in the middle.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/76024-my-m109a3-going-100-led.html

however both of my M35a2's still have the buzzer. that might change on one if i put the take off panel on it. i do the same thing with mine as steelandcanvas thought. start the truck and do a walk around checking tires, for leaks, latches and stuff between the back tires. my dash light are all green and the high beam and low air are red to stick out.

Attachments

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nobody likes that buzzer, but it has to be loud, in an emergency, to get your attention. Better check with DOT, in your State - They seem to be really attached to the buzzer, even if you have a light. They seem to realize too, that most Folks can get by, ignoring a light, but not the buzzer. They are also hung up on the fact, that it should come on exactly 60 PSI.

Darwin T

if your have a 5ton or bigger (anything comercial) they should flag that when you go to get your inspection sticker. at least that would be my guess. on a deuce (non-comercial) i don't think the DOT would check. however, i have not removed the buzzer on my M109a3 and if i needed to i could put in a jumper and have both. in fact i may go ahead and do that when i change the panel.

i would hate to skid mark my seat cover.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nobody cares, and often, nobody checks...... That is right up to the time there is a problem. I would hate to have to explain why a safety device is in-op, disconnected, or by-passed, when involved in an accident where an injury or a death was involved.

M1031CMT

It is much worse in a video than in person. Friends have said the same thing about the engine noise of a deuce when they hear it in a video. They think they will go deaf just standing beside it and were surprised it was much quieter in person. The microphone in the cameras amplify it a lot.

Like others have stated, by the time you have finished doing your walk around, the buzzer should have shut up.

But if you think that the buzzer is bad, try driving one for a couple hours on the highway without hearing protection.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thay buzzer is necessarily obnoxious. Imagine coursing the DC area in traffic with all the dumarses that drive in the area. Any ride is a white knuckle ride and its worse with a deuce. Now combine that with an air failure and a buzzer that won't wake a flea and you have created your own personal recipe for disaster. If you are going to rely on a light in white knuckle traffic, it better be 300 Watts to get your attention in an instant. Yep, Ive overted catastrophy via the dang buzzer. Even my non road worthy yard crane with no wiring harness has an operational buzzer.

saddamsnightmare

January 28th, 2012.

I back up Recovery4X4 above. IF IT ANNOYS YOU, go do your pre trip inspections! A real man PMCS's the truck up the wahzoo, and if you havent seen the PMCS for a deuce or a 5 or 10 ton, and you don't use it every day, maybe you really need an M1009. The PMCS's are on here, go read them in detail, it may save your life and someone else's. The buzzer's there and loud for a reason.. its warning you you have a problem if it goes off after warm up.
If the DOT, the cops and the lawyers would properly gig folks who bypass or do not maintain safety devices, particularly on large trucks, we'd have fewer problems. If it isn't working and you get into a wreck with low or no air, the lawyer will make you pay the price in the lawsuit, and your insurance company probably won't pay for improperly maintained equipment.... It's your house and your jail term, enjoy the time in Club state or Club Fed... Remember Ricky Gates and the Amtrak train, he's the reason Ferro and all other railroaders live by the rule books.... Let's make sure a lunkhead with a deuce doesn't do the same thing for the rest of us... It's a priveledge, not a right.
I find too many on here who buy deuces and five/ten tons that have no clue how to inspect, maintain and drive them...they are not toys....:rant: If you can maintain it properly, don't buy it....fat lady sings

Last edited:

caliber1

Not been an owner very long, but I agree with the two previous posters. It's loud for a reason, to warn you. Makes me wanna find where mine is leaking down from.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In an emergency situation, you will hardly notice it!

Use hearing protection.

Some people shut the ignition switch off, while the air builds up(no buzzer that way).

A

A/C Cages

I made my buzzer quieter by using the number one tool you cant live without. I put several layers of duct tape over it. It just takes the bite out of the sound. Keeping it from fingernails on the chalkboard effect. But it still leaves it loud enough to hear it in traffic.

I installed a momentary off switch.
I hold it down for the minuet or so it takes my tanks to get 65lb of pressure and let go.
Lights are great as long as you see it come on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks