• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radiator question

rustystud

I live in south Louisiana. 90 degree days are every day. is it possible to install a biger Radiator? I did put 35 inch tires on my truck. I think transmission cooler would help.
If you have the M1008 radiator then you have the largest radiator ever made for this truck. It is a 4 core copper radiator and it's over 4 inches longer then a civilian model. Unless you specified at time of purchase the stock radiator is much smaller.

MarcusOReallyus

A trans cooler is a good idea. In your climate, plumb it in before the radiator, not after, like is usually recommended. The reason is, you are trying to keep your engine cooler, right? So you want to dump the heat out of the transmission fluid before it gets to the radiator. You don't want that heat dumping into your cooling system.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the radiator, and the rest of the cooling system, is in good shape, please consider a better fan setup. It's almost hard to go wrong with properly sized and shrouded Spal electric fans.
For what it's worth, I drove my Banks turbo'd M1009 with 35-inch tires and stock 3.08s for a while, in temperatures that often reached 100 degrees, and up an 8-mile stretch of 8% grade on a daily basis without any overheating tendencies.
Yes, it definitely ran better up that hill with a 700R4 and 4.10 gears, but if you have an M1008 (I only know that it's a CUCV) with stock gears, and given the lack of mountains in Louisiana, gearing wouldn't be an issue anyway.

kc5mzd

The thermostat comes from the factory setup for "normal" driving conditions. 95 is considered "extreme heat".
The rating on a thermostat is the temp when it is fully open. It starts to open about 10 deg before it reaches its rated temp. This causes the engine to run at or just under the rated thermostat temp in "normal" weather.
If you want the engine to run at the same temp in "extreme" heat then you have to get one that starts to open about 10 deg sooner. If the normal weather or stock thermostat is rated at 190 then if you install one rated at 175 - 180 the engine will operate at "normal" temp when it is in extreme heat. On the downside if you ever go up north or drive in winter conditions then the engine will not run properly as it will not reach the temp it is designed or tuned to run at.

Other than throwing money at it and going serpentine belt to be able to run a high output pump and Duramax fan, I don't know. You'd have to find a donor truck for the pieces.
A good Proffessional system flush, that does the radiator, heater core, and any thing in the block that may inhibit heat transfer.
A remote oil cooler from a newer truck, maybe the one with the serpentine belt system helps too. Then you can run your power steering fluid through the old cooler. A good cold air intake run from up front can't hurt. If you can increase airflow under the hood and paint everything on the engine black for heat transfer, that is supposed to be good for lower temps.
I'd like to someday see finned, cast aluminum valve covers and an oil pump.
Aluminum transfers heat well.

Last edited:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed a aftermarket rad that is twice the size as the original (cores). The Tanks are bigger too. I got it at a local Rad shop in Houston. It's all aluminum. Tanks and cores. I also swapped the 5 blade fan for a 20 inch 6 blade. I'm running a 180 deg Robert Shaw thermostat. Temps here in SE Texas can get a CUCV pretty warm. It never overheats now. I got it to 185 once while towing my tractor. I do have trouble in the winter getting it warm enough though.

86m1028

I installed a aftermarket rad that is twice the size as the original (cores). The Tanks are bigger too. I got it at a local Rad shop in Houston. It's all aluminum. Tanks and cores. I also swapped the 5 blade fan for a 20 inch 6 blade. I'm running a 180 deg Robert Shaw thermostat. Temps here in SE Texas can get a CUCV pretty warm. It never overheats now. I got it to 185 once while towing my tractor. I do have trouble in the winter getting it warm enough though.
Post some pics of it.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd have to pull the cover off the top so you can see, but the cores are as wide as the tanks. The only time the fan clutch engages is when i'm in the woods hauling firewood. It cycles off pretty quickly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks