• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radiator Questions

Zeus51

That radiator is getting ready to check out. It also appears to be a very thin cored radiator. Possibly a 2 core. Original CUVCV radiators were 4 core. And they did make replacements that are 3 core. The number of rows makes the heat exchange greater. In reality you can use a 3 core. I have used 3 core replacements for years in plow trucks and my wood hauler M1009. Plowing snow and pulling trailers makes lots of heat and I never had an issue with it. So I would get ready to change that radiator now. Be proactive. Don't wait till it overheats or just plain blows out. I had a 1984 Diesel Chevette that I bought new. It had a little 4 core radiator in it. Harrison made great radiators for all GM vehicles. Many are discontinued at this point. The after market replacements are great equal replacements. Basically they cool the coolant. If they do that they are doing the job. Good Luck. Stay Safe.
That's what I was thinking. I just needed someone to push me toward spending the money. Thanks!

cucvrus

After our exchange this AM I was in the barn and I looked at the radiator I just had rebuilt. And I guess I was lucky. This radiator is a 4 core. But like I said you can get by with a 3 core and live happily ever after. In the picture do you see how full the tank area is in comparison to yours. Good Luck. DSCF7096.JPG

Zeus51

After our exchange this AM I was in the barn and I looked at the radiator I just had rebuilt. And I guess I was lucky. This radiator is a 4 core. But like I said you can get by with a 3 core and live happily ever after. In the picture do you see how full the tank area is in comparison to yours. Good Luck. View attachment 793940
Oh wow. Yes I do. That’s crazy. I’ve had this truck for 4 years and never really looked at the difference. I guess bc I haven’t had to. I wonder if the truck will run better once I exchange it? Autozone only has a Duralast B850 on the website. Do you think that’ll work? The description on the website mentions the quality of Spectre products making me wonder if Spectre makes a radiator for autozone and markets it as Duralast. The review for Duralast specifically says that someone tried the B850 and wasn’t able to hook up the oil cooler lines on his K30. Thoughts? I guess I could always return it?

cucvrus

I have encountered the difficult oil cooler line attachment. Not the end of the world. It needs a bit of grinding and sanding and it will fit. Trust me on that. I have encountered the same thing on OEM radiators. I have used dozens of the Spectra radiators and if I did have a problem it was not the quality of the radiator. I always closely inspect every radiator before I leave the store with it. Make sure it is undamaged. I had 4 come one time before I left with a good one. Bad day at Fed Ex I guess. Not always but be aware it happens. Good Luck. When the oil cooler line attachment issue arises if it arises then we will cross that bridge. I think you got this thing. I know people that can't get a power steering line attached and right away it is the power steering lines at fault. they call me and I go over a wham it's on. Just saying. Take your time and work with confidence and do the job right the first time. Be Safe.

Zeus51

I have encountered the difficult oil cooler line attachment. Not the end of the world. It needs a bit of grinding and sanding and it will fit. Trust me on that. I have encountered the same thing on OEM radiators. I have used dozens of the Spectra radiators and if I did have a problem it was not the quality of the radiator. I always closely inspect every radiator before I leave the store with it. Make sure it is undamaged. I had 4 come one time before I left with a good one. Bad day at Fed Ex I guess. Not always but be aware it happens. Good Luck. When the oil cooler line attachment issue arises if it arises then we will cross that bridge. I think you got this thing. I know people that can't get a power steering line attached and right away it is the power steering lines at fault. they call me and I go over a wham it's on. Just saying. Take your time and work with confidence and do the job right the first time. Be Safe.
alrighty, parts are ordered..... now we wait

cucvrus

That was why I gave the advise of opening the box and carefully inspecting before you leave the store. And you did get the copper brass. Good Deal. Right now everything is getting thrown around with the flu panic. Good Luck. One good thing is the plastic aluminum always arrived undamaged. Be Safe.

Zeus51

That was why I gave the advise of opening the box and carefully inspecting before you leave the store. And you did get the copper brass. Good Deal. Right now everything is getting thrown around with the flu panic. Good Luck. One good thing is the plastic aluminum always arrived undamaged. Be Safe.
Actually, I bought the only one that was available on the Autozone website. It was listed as a Duralast B850. Shipping information came from Spectre. Once it arrived it had both Duralast B850 and Spectre CU850 listed on the box. I opened the box, saw the dent, snapped the photo and closed it back up. But if the Spectre CU850 is the plastic/aluminum one, then I'm sure thats what they sent me. I'm trying round two at the store since they're having one overnighted

cucvrus

And honestly I would check that radiator with a little air pressure. If it don't leak and it is on the bottom tank I would use it. I removed worse radiators from vehicles during engine replacements and reinstalled them because customer didn't want the extra expense. And it is only cosmetic as long as it don't leak. That would be your call. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Good Luck. Stay Safe.

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have probably abused an M1009 in stock form more than anyone else outside of the military. I never had any radiator failures. A few clogged cooling fins from axle deep mud. But nothing a pressure washer couldn't clean out. I have installed no fewer than 25 of the Harrison plastic aluminum and they get my seal of approval. It's a Simple Task. the choice is yours. But I will add make sure you replace the radiator isolators at the time the new radiator is installed to avoid failures in the securement. Do it right the first time and never look back. No half fast work done in my camp.
CUCVRUS... Where can I get this radiator? The radiator in my M1009 has been repaired a few times and I am guessing that it might need to be replaced. I would also need the rubber supports in your other picture. Any assistance you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

cucvrus

CUCVRUS... Where can I get this radiator? The radiator in my M1009 has been repaired a few times and I am guessing that it might need to be replaced. I would also need the rubber supports in your other picture. Any assistance you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

That link will get you the information on the radiator. Make sure to thoroughly inspect the radiator in the store before you pay and leave with it. They can get damaged in shipping. Be vigilant.

https://www.prothanesuspensionparts.com/71712
This will get you the radiator support isolators. All this information without even cracking a TM which don't have all valid part numbers anymore. 99.9% of the parts are discontinued and you are at the mercy of after market. So use caution and choose carefully. There is a lot of junk out there to weed thru till you find good stuff. Be Safe and have a Great Day.

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter

That link will get you the information on the radiator. Make sure to thoroughly inspect the radiator in the store before you pay and leave with it. They can get damaged in shipping. Be vigilant.

https://www.prothanesuspensionparts.com/71712
This will get you the radiator support isolators. All this information without even cracking a TM which don't have all valid part numbers anymore. 99.9% of the parts are discontinued and you are at the mercy of after market. So use caution and choose carefully. There is a lot of junk out there to weed thru till you find good stuff. Be Safe and have a Great Day.
Thank you so much for this information! I have captured this info into my M1009 Blazer file. Your knowledge is UNMATCHED. You are a warehouse of valuable information.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks