• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Railroad Forum

Should we have a Railroad Forum?

• Sure, I don't see why not, we have tanks and few own them.

Votes: 52 83.9%
  • Nope, trains is dumb!

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Ferro is nuts

Votes: 9 14.5%

• Total voters

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as expansion is concerned, way back in the 1960's in an engineering class our professor asked us to calculate the thermal expansion of a one mile section of rail with a temp rise of 20 degrees F. , then calculate how much it would rise in the middle if both ends were held absolutely stationary. The first answer was about an inch, the second was 49 feet. They were putting down 1/4 mile sections of rail then.

ranchhopper

But that locomotive is hot.
It makes a lot of noise.
It bumps and thumps and the wheels go clickety-clack down the rails.
I can't watch my videos with all that noise.
Is it all push button controls?
I can't possibly be expected to have to drive that train all day...
Did you say there is a speed limit on those tracks?
I don't follow instructions very well.
Heck the first locomotive I learned to operate still had a deadmans pedal that had to be held down to run.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Canadian Pacific has a nice series of military tribute commemorative locomotives .

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Canadian Pacific has a nice series of military tribute commemorative locomotives .

Thanks @juanprado !

I snagged the images to share here.

Canadian CP Military Tribute Locomotives 01.jpg

Canadian CP Military Tribute Locomotives 02.jpg

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tried numerous times in the mid-70's to hire on a road my grandfather, his father, and several other relatives had retired from or worked on. But the road went downhill and continued to lay off people under 20yrs seniority .. So I went to enlist as an army railroader instead, thinking for sure I would wind up in Europe.. The recruiter was quite baffled and temporarily speechless, apparently never hearing of such a thing... He says to me, "I don't believe they have those anymore. Vietnam beat us up, we need truck drivers, there is a shortage of them.." .. . As a non-worldly farmboy, I believed him 😖 .. A couple weeks into basic during a march down to the supply depot, along comes this string of boxcars pulled by an old black Alco with "US ARMY RAILROAD" on its long high hood .. Darn straight I was mad !

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Union Pacific also has the spirit #1943 commemorative military locomotive.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Union Pacific also has the spirit #1943 commemorative military locomotive.

Added Pictures :cool:

Union Pacific #1943 Spirit 01.jpg

Union Pacific #1943 Spirit 02.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Unfortunately, Norfolk Southern must have a pack of useless college boys or maybe it is management that has no desire to share railroad history on their website. More than half of the links are broken that mention heritage go off into oblivion.

Up in Spencer, North Carolina we have a transportation museum. An old Southern Railroad maintenance facility built in 1897 started out repairing steam trains and maintaining rolling stock. Half way between Washington DC and Atlanta Georgia, the location was proposed by Samuel Spencer, President of Southern Railway. The original roundhouse was 15 stalls and grew to the 37 stall facility that you can visit today. The roundtable is still operational today and historical preservation happens there today.

Norfolk Southern @ Spencer NC Roundhouse 01.jpg

Norfolk Southern @ Spencer NC Roundhouse 02.jpg

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unfortunately, Norfolk Southern must have a pack of useless college boys or maybe it is management that has no desire to share railroad history on their website. More than half of the links are broken that mention heritage go off into oblivion.

Up in Spencer, North Carolina we have a transportation museum. An old Southern Railroad maintenance facility built in 1897 started out repairing steam trains and maintaining rolling stock. Half way between Washington DC and Atlanta Georgia, the location was proposed by Samuel Spencer, President of Southern Railway. The original roundhouse was 15 stalls and grew to the 37 stall facility that you can visit today. The roundtable is still operational today and historical preservation happens there today.

View attachment 887916

View attachment 887917

p2001266bg70001.jpg The late L. Stanley Crane. In his day the best CEO in railroading, at the Southern Railroad and later at Conrail. The useless college boys could learn a whole lot about running a successful railroad from him.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks