• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Railroad Forum

Should we have a Railroad Forum?

• Sure, I don't see why not, we have tanks and few own them.

Votes: 52 83.9%
  • Nope, trains is dumb!

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Ferro is nuts

Votes: 9 14.5%

• Total voters

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those of us not in the know, what was a wiper? Awesome pics too BTW.
Some might think WIPERS did this....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ5rbPlsdHw[/media]​

But in fact, look at the LIVE STEAM video in post # 99 above (at the 0:24 second time-tick) and you'll get a good idea of what WIPING is all about.

Last edited:

Pagan

The term "wiper" as was once used on the U.P. was a laborer whos' duties generally included cleaning the locomotives' exterior and engine compartment. The Federal Railroad Administration regulations forbid accumulations of oil on walking surfaces, between the cylinder banks on V-configuration engines, and any place where it could present a fire or other safety problem, or hinder inspection. On a steam engine, this was a really big job. Still working as a hostler helper/fueler in Portland when I hired on in 1973 was a lady named Mary. She did the same work as the guys, without any fanfare or additional consideration. She had to get something to stand on to attach a fuel hose to the new General Electric locomotives of that era, the U30C, but she did a great job. Anybody seen women in the shop crafts now? I thought maybe some would become locomotive electricians, but I have never heard of one. The size and weight of the parts women would have to handle as locomotive diesel mechanics probably precludes them from that craft.

Last edited:

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, I actually have something to add to this.

My son and I do a little model railroading (O gauge). We go to museums and train shows, but I never realized the strong connection to military stuff. However, I took some pictures at a museum and show a few years ago with the intention to post them on here one day. . . . Well, over three years later . . . .

Attachments

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a military connection...how about the line of MRS-1 locomotives still out puttering about? Possibly on the top five list of ugly engines of all time, built by both EMD and ALCO to military specifications. Low hoods for tunnel clearance and dual gauge capability...yes dual gauge! Hollow adjustable axles and truck frames as I remember on friction bearings, true cold war artifacts. Some can still be found operating around the country....at 56 1/2 inches. ;-)

WHOA !!!! John (Motorcar), My Junkyard Wars brother, you have sparked my memory.

Now, I am admittedly no train expert, but I was looking at the picture of the MRS-1 engine you posted above. I recognized that "BLUEGRASS RAILROAD engine #2043" --- it is in the same museum that I referenced in my post above!!!!

So I checked my picture archives, and ta-da, I have pics of it also! What a small world.

Attachments

trukhead

The little engine that could, The little engine that could,The little engine that could,The little engine that could..........Wooooo Woooo!:jumpin::whistle:roflroflrofl

On a serious note, trains haul MV's so I wanna see trains!!! Woooo Woooo

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So all this picture reminiscing led me to research the museum that I mentioned above. (as shown on the date in the pictures, it was 2009 when the boy and I visited)

It is called the Bluegrass Railroad Museum or Bluegrass Scenic Railroad and Museum. It is in Versailes, KY which is near Lexington. This is about 90 miles from me.

Check out their website through the links here:
Main Page: MAIN - Bluegrass Railroad Museum
Army Locomotives: MAIN - Bluegrass Railroad Museum
Various Army Freight cars: MAIN - Bluegrass Railroad Museum
Page dedicated to the restoration of the Army boxcars: MAIN - Bluegrass Railroad Museum

Oh, by the way, . . . since the poll is screwed up, - I vote to add the Railroad Forum !!

Pagan

Here is a question for you gentlemen..........

Circa early 2000's, a company was laying fiber optic cable along the U.P. right of way near Soda Springs, Idaho. In that area there is a lot of very rough, rocky terrain, primarily lava flow with a little dirt and brush on top of it. It appeared that one of the most important vehicles that were part of the operation was an M-37 with a modified bed that must have been part of the actual cable-laying process. I found that rather gratifying. Wish I had got some pictures of it doing its' job.

For the rails among us, as well as any inventer types, I have some questions to raise with you. A little background: the U.P. has cut back drastically the number of Maintainence-of-Way personnel (track and infrastructure repair.) We had a terribly cold winter in '90-'91. A M-of-W roadmaster informed me that in a 3 day period in the worst cold snap, in the Pocatello-Green River-Ogden "triangle," the U.P. had experienced 231 pull-aparts (rail failures) due to the cold. As you may know, a 1/4 mile strip of 133# rail will expand or contract 1/8 of an inch for every degree of temperature change. The U.P. and surely other railroads utilize an on-track welder to fuze the joints in its' track, which has a hydraulic system that (quoting a Federal Railroad Administration track inspector) pulls EVERY bit of slack out of the track. The RR/FRA objective here is the prevention of sun-kinks (the result of rail expansion due to heat.) Of course, when it gets real cold......... While serving as a legislative representative for the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, I asked of Idaho State Representatives Kent Kunz and Steve Hadley, members of the Idaho House of Representatives Transportation and Defense Committee, how we would efficiently move our military shipments across Idaho in the winter if all the trains were stopped waiting for the broken rail in front of them to be repaired, by the no-longer adequately staffed M-of-W personnel, because, in the U.P.s case at least, they refuse to develop and/or install expansion/contraction control devices in its' track structure.

I am not the giver of all wisdom. In an attempt to learn from others observations or experiences, has anyone seen a track expansion joint in use on an American railroad? If one has not been developed, I have an idea for one that would be somewhat similar to a switch point, with one rail with a slightly curved end capable of slipping past the static opposing point, and bending off to the outside of the static point, so that the gauge would be maintained and helping prevent rail failures in the cold, and sun kinks in the heat. Done properly, this device would require no more additional inspection or maintainence than the rest of the track structure. Question is, would the railroads be willing to go to the additional expense of procurement and installation? The amount of delay to train movement that these rail failures cause on a busy route has to be seen to be appreciated. Our military shipments in times of crisis being delayed to such a degree might have some serious implications. Thoughts, anyone? Pagan

tuckered

I'd better not say what I want, but the track condition here was not much of an improvement. One of the culprits was bad tie plates. They had a raised divot from the manufacturing process, that would break the rail, when trains went over the tracks. They had to spend a lot of money to fix that problem. We're already having broken rails, as the weather turns cool. It was really hot this year, so I imagine we're going to have a bunch more. But as I'm stuck on a train, not able to move, I guess they will just have to pay me more.

😂😂😂😂

Motorcar

Yes I have seen expansion joints. The first that comes to mind is on the Pecos River Bridge here in Texas west of Del Rio it has a slip joint in the middle to contol the expansion and contraction during the great temp changes that can happen in west Texas. It is similar to half a frog on each rail facing opposite directions, allowing the two to bypass each other as it moves. The bridge has a permanent 40 mph restiction on it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just don't think there is enough interest or railfans to warrant a railroad forum.

Just Kidding of course! You folks are die hard. Ferro, we already knew about your addiction.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was about to reach thru this computer........

You would surprised about how many folks are railfans/railroad modelers. I just found out that an 18year old High School senior 5 doors down from my house is a modeler. All he wants to do is go to work for NS when he turns 21.

I think I scared him when I showed him my collection of HO models. I tried to explain to him that I have been collecting/modeling for 42 years.

So what do I do for fun now? I ride herd on a Rail Road Museum as the DSLE(designated supervisor of locomotive engineers) and everything else. Plus maintain my M814, follow Ferro around to some of his adventures, and hold down a real job. God I love my life............:mrgreen:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's what we need to fabricate. A huge hamster wheel with rails inside so Ferro can have more fun with his HyRail CUCV.

John, remind me to let you hear the ringer in my phone whilst at the GA Rally

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
In Dunlap, Tn, up on the N. mountain, there is a GREAT out door railroad, 1 1/2 scale, both 7 1/2 gage and narrow gage, about 150 acres, there is also one just north of here in gainesville, been trying to find out exactly where, offer the 819 as a heavy lift, if not just go visit and hopefully WATCH and maybe a bit of hands on.
If I know how to do a google area search, I would

michigandon

This engine and associated equipment is already sold, but it's something that I really would have loved to have had, IF my wallet was fat enough, because I may have ridden behind it when I was a kid: For Sale

Pagan

Rail expansion joints

That is truly great, Motorcar. Now lets' see the RRs place them in common usage. That was great information about the tie-plates also, from another gentleman who contributed.

As explained to me, one of the most important factors in causing rail pull-aparts is how much the temperature changes in one event. The area around Soda Springs, Idaho is like the one you describe in Texas-extreme temperature swings. On a clear, quiet night, if you listen, you can hear the U.P. main line break. Everybody has heard the flat spots on the wheels of many freight cars, pounding the rails with every turn. Then we must consider the rough roadbed, allowing the rail to stretch and flex every time a set of wheels goes over it, especially with these massive axle-loadings that are now common. In recent years, a number of RR bridges have required replacement on this district. In my humble opinion, you simply can not expect to send a maintainence gang through a given area every couple of years, supposedly to fix all the problems, and then perform minimal (if any) repair work the rest of the time. Imagine derailing a military train moving at, say, 50 mph, loaded with all of our favorite toys, including M-1s, or roll some of those rocket motor cars into a canyon!

Anyone hears a young man or woman considering hiring out on the railroad, lets' do them a favor and explain the railroad facts-of-life to them, so they can make an informed decision. I am fourth generation U.P., with three of us being engineers. I brought the "family flag" with me when I walked out the door. I threatened my kids with their personal safety if I caught them sniffing around the RR looking for a job, and both are black belts in TaeKwonDo, (and not from some no-contact belt mill either,) so I would have to sneak up on them. Seriously, this is not a job for a man who wants his own family.

The only thing that made that life bearable was the people I worked with. I exchanged seniority twice, and borrowed-out a couple of times when the U.P. was desperately short of engineers (kind of TDY), and got to meet a lot of folks, most were really great. There are some great ones in this site and hobby as well. Now if we can just keep our toys from the clutches of the politicians and their "clunker_crushers."

EMD567-I like that-good handle. I've run a bunch of those. Before he went railroading, my father was on an LST in the Navy in WW2. He claimed that engine, or one very much like it, was what powered his ship. Then there was the Fairbanks-Morse........

I understand the U.S. Military is primarily diesel-powered now. I have experienced -52 degrees F. in Green River, Wyoming, and -66 F (these are ambient temperatures) near Logan, Utah. What does a diesel-powered army do in temperatures like that? Are thier fuel heaters really that good, as well as the support equipment? I've seen idling locomotives gel up, and they have a fuel heater the size of the trash can next to your computer.

Pagan

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My two brothers and me all got model trains when kids. HO Marklin. My eldest brother did not have room for HO so he went to N-scale trains. My other brother was not interested so I bought both out. Although not active with it since I was a student, I took all stuff with me to the Czech Republic; about 5 banana boxes with railroad stuff including 6 locs, a lot of tracks and Faller houses. And about 6 undone 1:24 models of trucks, bought in the late 70s early 80s, never got around to making them. In a few years my grandson is old enough to get active with them.

Pagan

Here's one for you guys

https://www.bnsf.com/corpcomm/video...orpcomm/video/Wellington.flv&title=Wellington

Just to spice things up a tiny bit, here is some footage taken from (presumably) a Union Pacific locomotive. The train on which this video was produced has failed to approach a stop (red) signal "prepared to stop before any part of the train or engine" passes the signal. The air discharges you can hear are the train brakes being placed in the "emergency" position, and the independant (locomotive) brakes being actuated off (released) to prevent damage to the locomotive wheels (flat spots.) This occurred at Wellington Kansas around a year ago, and the footage was taken from the on-board camera mounted on the dash inside the engineers' side windshield.

The on-coming train is moving through a turn-out (switch) into a siding or other main line. If the timing had been just a little different, this could have been a head on collision. As it turned out, the train producing the footage got stopped within inches of the train passing through the turn-out. The crew undoubtedly was fired for a while.

Haste and "grandstanding" have no place in the operation of a train, or when moving heavy equipment. On several occasions, during my tenure on the Las Vegas-Yermo U.P. district, while laying over in Yermo, I would hear of soldiers on maneuvers at Fort Irwin being run over by tanks and trucks while camped out on the training range. Useless way to die. I understand the Army developed some kind of lights to place around such an area. I hope so. Be hard do get any sleep wondering when an M-1 is going to puree your butt into the desert. Pagan

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks